Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I froze my fingers off yesterday morning going to a group ride for the food bank (it was so funny there were a million Harley's, my Honda, and BMW GS on the run lmao. 32 degrees for an 8 am run which I had to ride 30 + miles to get to the start). My freeze out gear under my clothes kept me toasty but the winter gloves and freeze out glove liners sucked.
Have any of you put heated grips on and where did you put your controller? How did you get the other grips off? Someone suggested just cutting them off?
Any Tips?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not on my Rebel, but a different bike I have always cut the grips off. There's other ways to do it, but it seems cutting is easiest.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do those Oxford grips make a great deal of difference when it's down to freezing point? And do they turn off automatically as specified by Oxford?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do those Oxford grips make a great deal of difference when it's down to freezing point? And do they turn off automatically as specified by Oxford?
It does make a huge difference in temperatures between 5C (41F) and 15C (59F). You can you normal leather gloves.
Below 5C you gonna need winter gloves any way.

They turn off when the engine isn't running. I connected them directly to the battery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It does make a huge difference in temperatures between 5C (41F) and 15C (59F). You can you normal leather gloves.
Below 5C you gonna need winter gloves any way.

They turn off when the engine isn't running. I connected them directly to the battery.
Cool, I might invest in some of these. How do you rate the fit/finish quality of the Oxford grips. Also, there's a canvas strap around one of the grips in your photo, that's not a part of the grip is it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cool, I might invest in some of these. How do you rate the fit/finish quality of the Oxford grips. Also, there's a canvas strap around one of the grips in your photo, that's not a part of the grip is it?
The quality is very good.
Worth mentioning is that a diameter of Oxford grips is noticibly bigger than the one of stock grips. It works quite good for me (big hands).

The strip is just a reminder for disk lock.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The quality is very good.
Worth mentioning is that a diameter of Oxford grips is noticibly bigger than the one of stock grips. It works quite good for me (big hands).

The strip is just a reminder for disk lock.
Nice one, many thanks for that. I guess I'll be putting them on my Christmas list

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the other (cold) hand, did you consider heating gloves ?
I've tried heating grips only on a snowbike (-30°C in Finland) and it was not very efficient.
I have Gerbing T12 heating gloves for years and I'm very satisfied with them. I rode my bike down to -8°C without problem. In my country, I cannot test more !
The gloves have cables you can use for long duration rides. You have to connect a line on your bike's plugs, and you have a "Y" cable you can use inside your jacket to power the gloves with little connectors.
But you can use alternatively batteries that go in a pocket on the back of each glove. This allow for one hour full power or 4 hours at 33% power.
I have both. Both gloves of course, and both powering options. I use the batteries for commuting and as a general rule. And in case of a long trip in winter, which is not something I do, or in case I forgot to turn off the gloves and have no more battery power.

I see 2 advantages of heating gloves over warming grips :
- nothing to install on the bike,
- the heating gloves warm the back of your hand also (in fact they warm all your hand), whereas the warming grips only warm the inside of yours hands. And because of the speed and wind, it's mainly the finger tips and the back of your hands that are exposed to coolness.

And also one advantage of heating gloves compared to winter gloves :
heating gloves are thinner. As they are heating they do not require to be thick. So you're more dexterous.

>:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
On the other (cold) hand, did you consider heating gloves ?
I've tried heating grips only on a snowbike (-30°C in Finland) and it was not very efficient.
I have Gerbing T12 heating gloves for years and I'm very satisfied with them. I rode my bike down to -8°C without problem. In my country, I cannot test more !
the Oxfor heated grips at around $100 are 1/3 the price of the t12 Gerbing gloves though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts