Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting. The U.K. warranty is for two years.

Apropos tuning and warranty. Yes, Honda could claim that if a fault arose because of a non standard modification they would discharge responsibility.

Would it also not have an effect of the cost of insurance? Tuning modifications are frowned upon on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Congratulations! You’ve made a wise choice. It’s the same bike - almost - as the one I traded in for my CMX except mine was the custom carbon dark. A beautiful bike. Plenty of owners‘ forums who give a lot of good advice. No worries about having to oil any chain.

Tip: Keep your eye on the nuts and bolts - especially the sump bolts. Might be a good idea to buy some bright nail varnish or special paint to dab on various bolts to get a visual check of any that are loosening.

Look after it well and it will last you a lifetime. Servicing yourself is very easy.

Take Care And Enjoy One Of The Best Italian Motorcycles.

😸

Oh...get a centre stand and some Hepco Becker engine guards fitted. Those cylinder heads are expensive!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Another tip. You can jack up/lift the bike from the bottom of the sump. Use a thick piece of wood under the fins and jack up using something like a cheap scissor jack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Congratulations! You’ve made a wise choice. It’s the same bike - almost - as the one I traded in for my CMX except mine was the custom carbon dark. A beautiful bike. Plenty of owners‘ forums who give a lot of good advice. No worries about having to oil any chain.

Tip: Keep your eye on the nuts and bolts - especially the sump bolts. Might be a good idea to buy some bright nail varnish or special paint to dab on various bolts to get a visual check of any that are loosening.

Look after it well and it will last you a lifetime. Servicing yourself is very easy.

Take Care And Enjoy One Of The Best Italian Motorcycles.

😸

Oh...get a centre stand and some Hepco Becker engine guards fitted. Those cylinder heads are expensive!
What prompted you to trade?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi, It wasn’t a welcome exchange. Quite the opposite. I really wanted to keep the bike but common sense dictated otherwise. Put simply, it was just too heavy for me. Great when on the move but far too heavy moving around the garage. Being top heavy also made it dangerous - one wrong move and it would fall over. I even built a Lazy Susan turntable into the garage floor but it was still hard to move. I bought it because I once owned a V65 Florida and was hoping for the same. I wish Moto Guzzi would bring out a smaller bike - I’d swap the Rebel instantly. No second thoughts. Still sad about exchanging. It was a limited edition as well. 😿

Enjoy your bike. That ‘V’ twin rocking at standstill is like no other bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
PDX. I hope you stay on the forum. It will be interesting to read how you are progressing with your bike.

Such a shame that we are on opposite sides of “The Pond”. I could have helped you out with lots of extras such as oil, stand, filters and whatever else. Such is life.

Take Care & Keep Safe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi, It wasn’t a welcome exchange. Quite the opposite. I really wanted to keep the bike but common sense dictated otherwise. Put simply, it was just too heavy for me. Great when on the move but far too heavy moving around the garage. Being top heavy also made it dangerous - one wrong move and it would fall over. I even built a Lazy Susan turntable into the garage floor but it was still hard to move. I bought it because I once owned a V65 Florida and was hoping for the same. I wish Moto Guzzi would bring out a smaller bike - I’d swap the Rebel instantly. No second thoughts. Still sad about exchanging. It was a limited edition as well. 😿

Enjoy your bike. That ‘V’ twin rocking at standstill is like no other bike.
I'm a little concerned now. A primary criteria in selecting a bike was that it be relatively light, but able to easily carry my weight. The 500's wet weight is 408 lbs, but the weight capacity is 346 lbs. The V7's wet weight is 461 lbs and its weight capacity is 463 lbs. The Rebel and Suzuki S40 were the only two bikes lighter than the V7 that may have had the proper weight capacity. I hope it's not too heavy for me too. :rolleyes:

What's the meaning of 'top heavy' as it relates to motorcycles?

The V7 III Carbon Dark is a beautiful bike!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wish to express my appreciation for everyone's insight and suggestions. It was an educational and entertaining journey. After further research, I decided on a 2018 Moto Guzzi V7 III Stone in Azzurro Elettrico with only 2,003 miles.
View attachment 32948
View attachment 32949
Congratulations on the new bike and good luck on the weight loss. I went from 354 down to 220 now and feel so much better.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm a little concerned now. A primary criteria in selecting a bike was that it be relatively light, but able to easily carry my weight. The 500's wet weight is 408 lbs, but the weight capacity is 346 lbs. The V7's wet weight is 461 lbs and its weight capacity is 463 lbs. The Rebel and Suzuki S40 were the only two bikes lighter than the V7 that may have had the proper weight capacity. I hope it's not too heavy for me too. :rolleyes:

What's the meaning of 'top heavy' as it relates to motorcycles?

The V7 III Carbon Dark is a beautiful bike!
Don’t worry my friend, the Guzzi will have no problem with your weight. Even if it does, it’s easy to get stronger springs for the back. They are a war horse!

The Guzzi will tone up your muscles in no time. Watch out Arnie - lol.

Tip 1. When returning after a trip try to make sure that your tank isn’t filled to the top. Always do your filling before going for a ride. Makes it lighter and easier to manoeuvre in the garage.

Tip 2. When walking the bike around slowly make sure you tuck in your body into the bike. That way you will find it easier to move. You will see some videos on YouTube where somebody holds the front bar and rear seat while their body is not near the bike. Yes, all well and good on a very smooth surface. Try it on a rough surface because if the wheel hits a stone or similar it could be enough to tip it over. While you have control of the handlebar you can pull it in to you and make your body support any weight - should it decide it has a mind and will of its own.

Tip 3. Always keep a keen eye on where you are about to stop including parking. Make sure you park somewhere that is easy to get out without being Tarzan.

Sometimes roads can be uneven with a sharp slope to one side. You try to put your foot down only to realise the road has vanished - as I found out doing a ‘U’ turn on a steep hill in Scotland. Keep alert for these situations.

Top and Bottom heavy. Look at the Guzzi and you will see the cylinders are high up. This along with a heavy fuel tank make it top heavy.

In comparison a BMW horizontally opposed engine is bottom heavy because the cylinders and engine are low down.

The Rebel is almost bottom heavy because of the seat positioning and the relative lightness of the in-line engine. You can feel it when you sit on it. Try some bikes out a dealers and rock it left and right to get a feel while sat on the bike. Don’t go too far in case you drop the bike which may prove very costly - lol.

I had a Honda 919 [Naked Fireblade] and boy was that top heavy even though it was an in-line four.

Don’t worry too much. Take each journey easy until you get used to the feel of it. The engine braking on a Guzzi is second to none. Wonderful for going slow into corners and fast out of corners as are most V twins. Never change gear in a corner!

And some folks think riding a bike is easy! Sure!

Take Care

😸

·
Registered
548 Posts
I used to own a Yamaha TDM 900 (not found in US) which was deliberatley designed to be tall (it is about lean in corners). Anyway, I eventually found myself dropping it (ie at standstill) and I soon realised that I needed a lighter bike, and lower. I also dropped a bike on returning to biking trying to manoeuver it around as Sooty suggested. Never again. From that time on I always paddle them around (seated). I used to take the seat off the TDM to manoeuvre it.

PS Sooty, that Moto Guzzi looks fab.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good advice Rob’. I ‘paddle‘ the CMX because it is so low to the floor. The Guzzi was just a tad too tall for that - subject of course to one’s inside leg measurement and seat width.

Yes, I am still missing it - especially the way it would go at almost any speed from second up. Terrific for burning off Audi’s and BMW’s at the lights.

😸

·
Registered
219 Posts
While I remember PDX. I don’t know your location and consequently don’t know the sort of weather you get or how you are going to store your bike. If you get cold and damp fall/winter weather you will need to protect the steel tank from rusting inside. I filled the tank and added Sta-Bil fuel stabiliser. I also ran the engine once a week to stop the injectors getting fouled up. You can also suck out some of the fuel in Spring so it isn‘t too heavy to move with a full tank. When it was back on the road it ran great.

I’ll be doing the same to the Rebel this winter. I’ve already noticed that the engine attracts condensation.

Have a pleasant weekend.

😸

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
While I remember PDX. I don’t know your location and consequently don’t know the sort of weather you get or how you are going to store your bike. If you get cold and damp fall/winter weather you will need to protect the steel tank from rusting inside. I filled the tank and added Sta-Bil fuel stabiliser. I also ran the engine once a week to stop the injectors getting fouled up. You can also suck out some of the fuel in Spring so it isn‘t too heavy to move with a full tank. When it was back on the road it ran great.

I’ll be doing the same to the Rebel this winter. I’ve already noticed that the engine attracts condensation.

Have a pleasant weekend.

😸
I live in Oregon (4 miles from the first level fire evacuation and praying it doesn't come closer), so there's usually rain and a bit of snow in winter. The bike will be garaged and won't be ridden in adverse weather conditions, so the storage advice is definitely helpful.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My thoughts are with you and all of the folks in Oregon as well as California and Washington. From the horrific stories I have seen and read, what has been visited upon you is truly terrible.

Keep safe and protected.

·
Registered
779 Posts
This is my Guzzi - California 3. Man this bike hated me. Sometimes it would start right up and other times, NOTHING. I was never able to stop anywhere because I never knew if it was going to start up again. It would turn heads and set off car alarms but the starting thing was just too much for me.

Attachments

Reactions: PDX.Rebel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This is my Guzzi - California 3. Man this bike hated me. Sometimes it would start right up and other times, NOTHING. I was never able to stop anywhere because I never knew if it was going to start up again. It would turn heads and set off car alarms but the starting thing was just too much for me.
Honda does have unparalleled reliability. While I love the Moto Guzzi, if I were lighter or if the Rebel 500 had a higher weight capacity, there would be one in the garage and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Why did you trade the 2017 for the 2019?
Why did you sell the 2018 Vulcan S 650? I think it's a sexy bike and it was on my short list, but there were significantly lighter options.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Honda does have unparalleled reliability. While I love the Moto Guzzi, if I were lighter or if the Rebel 500 had a higher weight capacity, there would be one in the garage and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Why did you trade the 2017 for the 2019?
Why did you sell the 2018 Vulcan S 650? I think it's a sexy bike and it was on my short list, but there were significantly lighter options.
I didn't trade the '17 for the '19. I traded the '17 for a Vulcan S and then I traded the Vulcan S for the Shadow. I added the '19 Rebel to share time with the Shadow.

Reactions: PDX.Rebel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I didn't trade the '17 for the '19. I traded the '17 for a Vulcan S and then I traded the Vulcan S for the Shadow. I added the '19 Rebel to share time with the Shadow.
Alright, I'll rephrase my questions, because I'm interested in learning what you like, dislike and think about them. :)

Why did you trade the Rebel for the Vulcan S? Why did you trade the Vulcan S for the Shadow? Why did you decide to return to a Rebel, after trading one?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts