Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a beginner that's 5'11", 400 lbs and in love with the Rebel 500. I'm working on losing weight and the fact that I'm posting this question is one more reason. I'm aware that the bike's curb weight is 408 lbs and the maximum weight capacity is 346 lbs.

I've read online of heavy riders setting the suspension to 5 for maximum spring preload without issue. I'm curious if my weight exceeds the amount that will make this a viable option?

I appreciate in advance your comments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered honda shadow ? There's a lot of good used ones with fuel injection
Yes, it weighs 51 lbs more, has 112 cc more, but only 14 lbs more weight capacity.
I'm trying to find a balance between a bike with lower wet weight and cc for a beginner and higher weight capacity for my size. I've been comparing specifications for two weeks and the Rebel 500 may check the boxes if it'll support me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good luck on the weight loss man. i was 275 waited till i got to 220 before i bought a 300 now 201.
Thank you. I was 200 lbs in high school and wrestled 285 lbs in college, so my goal is 300 lbs.
How does the Rebel 300 handle with 220 lbs?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you can rest assured that if Honda stipulate a maximum of 346lbs that is what they mean. They will no doubt have tested it to the extremes to arrive at that figure.

As for changing or adjusting the rear suspension. Don’t forget weight travels to the front under normal and heavy braking - the Rebel brakes are not the best as it is! Furthermore, a heavily weighted bike impairs braking efficiency. Without doing extensive research I would suggest excessive weight would effect the structural stability of the bike as well as having some effect on the engine and other components.

An aside. Years ago I loaded up a Vespa scooter with some granite rocks in a backyard to test its capacity. It carried the weight okay but the braking was next to useless.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think you'd be ok. It's like 2 average adults riding 2up .As you said you may just have to adjust the rear suspension and maybe replace the front springs . As for comfort, only you can tell. Try to sit on one at a dealership. . Be wary. After sitting on one , I just have to have it and I got it that day .

·
Registered
2018 Honda CMX300A
47 Posts
Welcome to the Forum PDX,

I would say there isn't as definitive an answer as one might think.

The 346lbs limit doesn't mean it will crumble into dust if you put 347lbs on it. Our little motorcycles have a lot more to them that we often give them credit for. I always laugh when I see a picture of an entire family in Asia traveling on a tiny 150cc, but I also can't stop and marvel at how these people have mastered the art of squeezing every single bit of power out of their machine.

That being said, the 346lbs limit is what Honda used as the maximum weight before you start significantly altering the dynamics of the bike. The more you exceed that weigh, the more you move into uncharted waters where "there be dragons". Braking wont be nearly as sufficient anymore, suspension will probably need to be upgraded for a (semi-)comfortable ride, and tires would probably need to be slightly over-inflated over OEM specs. At the end of the day, Honda might also deny any form of liability as well, including the warranty, for using the bike outside of designed parameters.

Now, moving unto the anecdotal:

I am 220 lbs and my wife is (about) 130. When we ride 2-up, we are just over the prescribed weigh limit, and I can't say I see much degradation of performance beyond what I experience taking any other passenger. Mind you, that weight is if we were riding naked. Add all our motorcycle gear, tool rolls, full saddlebags, etc... and we probably go over by some amount. The bike is more sluggish accelerating, I hit about 10-20 KPH lower top speed and I have to plan braking a little bit more ahead of time, but again, it's not significant enough that I would advise against it.

I once gave a ride to a friend that is in the 180 lbs range (I was also heavier back then) and combined we weighed a little bit north of 400 lbs. Quite honestly, it was a harrowing experience. We never went above 50KPH (30MPH), but I felt my options were revving really high in low gear, or giving the engine a really hard time in the gear I'd normally be in for a given speed. The engine took it like a champ, but it was not an enjoyable ride. We also bottomed both sets of suspension on nearly every pothole, crevice, etc... After I dropped him off, I told myself "never again".

So, to summarize, my take on this would be: possible, yes; advisable, probably not. My best advise to you would be to keep working on losing weight and buy the Rebel as encouragement gift when you hit the 350lbs mark. You'll be able to enjoy it right there and then, and slowly discover its full potential as you keep shedding the weight. I've gone from 255lbs down to 220lbs while on the Rebel and I have seen a huge difference in how it feels and handles. I am sure you will too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you. I was 200 lbs in high school and wrestled 285 lbs in college, so my goal is 300 lbs.
How does the Rebel 300 handle with 220 lbs?
its not worth it honestly. id want to ride on the high way but it has no pick up to pass cars. the top speed its 76 with me on it at 201

·
Registered
2018 Honda CMX300A
47 Posts
its not worth it honestly. id want to ride on the high way but it has no pick up to pass cars. the top speed its 76 with me on it at 201
Are you talking about the 500? Even on my 300 I can go to 130+ KPH (80+MPH) with a little bit of power left, and I'm 220 lbs. I'm assuming that the 500 could do a lot better.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CMX300A
47 Posts
He mentioned it has NO PICK up to PASS cars not the top speed
I agree he also said it has no pick up to pass cars, which I would kinda agree with, but he also very literally said "the top speed its 76 with me on it at 201". English is not my first language, but I don't think I'm reading this wrong...

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree he also said it has no pick up to pass cars, which I would kinda agree with, but he also very literally said "the top speed its 76 with me on it at 201". English is not my first language, but I don't think I'm reading this wrong...
I stand corrected :)

·
Registered
2018 Honda CMX300A
47 Posts
Wouldn't an aftermarket exhaust that allows more airflow improve performance? I've read that the Diablo Custom Works twin-pipe is a good exhaust.

View attachment 32767
As a general rule, a "performance" exhaust would increase performance (some will debate that I guess), but that's contingent on the fuel system to be tuned accordingly. On the 300, replacing the stock exhaust changes the dynamics quite a bit, since it also remove the catalytic converter (which is integrated in the exhaust). Removing completely the cat converter removes a lot of the backpressure, which in turn will lead to degraded performance if you don't retune your fuel system to account for it. It shouldn't really be very noticeable on the 500 (which has its cat converter on the headers, not in the exhaust), but in the context of this discussion, it could explain why Jizzy6879 is not getting the same top speed as the rest of us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As a general rule, a "performance" exhaust would increase performance (some will debate that I guess), but that's contingent on the fuel system to be tuned accordingly. On the 300, replacing the stock exhaust changes the dynamics quite a bit, since it also remove the catalytic converter (which is integrated in the exhaust). Removing completely the cat converter removes a lot of the backpressure, which in turn will lead to degraded performance if you don't retune your fuel system to account for it. It shouldn't really be very noticeable on the 500 (which has its cat converter on the headers, not in the exhaust), but in the context of this discussion, it could explain why Jizzy6879 is not getting the same top speed as the rest of us.
If it's similar to vehicles, I assume that retuning voids the warranty?

·
Registered
2018 Honda CMX300A
47 Posts
Sorry, I've got no idea, but I'd assume so. Even then, Honda's warranty is only for 1 year (as opposed to most car which will have 3-7 year) so you'd have nothing to lose past that first year anyway.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts