Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Rebel 500 ABS
11 Posts
I misspoke: Jim Bronsen’s Sportster apparently had 4 gears, not 5, and a right side shift. Whoops.

I’m sweet on the Moto Guzzi V7, but their footprint (dealer network) is slim where I live. When I look at the mid-range ADV /GT types I see lots of plastic and trendy, splashy graphics that feels like it will date fast and I’m also cautious about the abundance of various electronic gizmos: the multiple ride modes; the auto suspension features. I mean I dig the ABS but some of those electronic interfaces seem daunting and likely to require software downloads and whatnot. And I’m not certain I want my dash to feel like a I-pad. I was thinking today: I wonder if beginner bikes—or entry, whatever the proper word—rarely have tachs because entry riders might not want to be looking at the dash? Plus on learns the bike like a horse by feel.

That said the BMW 750 GS is 900cc with 77 horses tuned for torque and isn’t too heavy or tall. The bikes for me which seem coolest are the retro nakeds but I’m not certain how comfortable for me long trips would be on one. Beats me!

I just got back from a 100 mile ride on my Rebel with 20 or so miles on a washboard gravel road. Great fun and boy am I stiff. Interestingly I saw a couple HDs who looked like they had wanted to go on and didn’t once the pavement ended. The Rebel bounced happily along. I do love the thing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love my Rebel and it’s been great to learn on, and I wonder about this too. There are rides out of the city and across various states I’d like to take. The Rebel doesn’t feel the best size for me for rides out into the far country. After two hours on the Rebel I’m feeling pretty beat up in the ways others describe.

I wonder about the mid-size ADV / GT models—900 or less ccs, a rider mode for mild dirt roads, a bit of windscreen for the highway, a less hunched up (for me) rider position in general.

It’s not engine size for me that’s the issue but comfort and riding position. Jim Bronsen’s fictional HD Sportster he rode on NBC across the states back in 1969 had, I think, a really similar weight to power ratio as the current 500 (and only 5 gears). One could ride the Rebel obviously to anyplace.
I have been looking into the Honda CB500X and in almost everyone talk about how comfortable it is to ride and it get great fuel mileage.

Sent from my LM-T600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've a 1200 Speed Twin, the Street Twins bigger brother 😁
Totally different ball game and a different kind of fun.
Lighter than the Street twin, although the seat is a little taller.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts