Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, have you guys got any ideas as far as what is the next step up after Rebel? After a couple of seasons and 10-20k mi? cc, style, make and model maybe of your next choice?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I guess it would depend on your style and your needs. Some move away from the cruiser style to the sport bike category. Others Harley it is. For me (but I'm older than dirt) it was another Rebel and a Shadow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
First thing I would decide is if I need a bigger engine and the extra weight it brings if you tip it over.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Assuming they get cleared by the EU environmental regulations: Two decent single pot thumpers.

Honda CB350

Royal Enfield Meteor

Sorry about the RE video it’s the best I could find. The others are dire and are all about style and little to do with motorcycles.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Cos I am old as dirt too, I will have to stick with what I got. But the 1100 would be great.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don’t see the point in going ‘Up’ a few cc’s. The 500 has enough speed to burn your licence - depending where you live.

Ducati et al, are always pushing their superbikes such as the Panigale. To what end I know not? If anything, I prefer bottom end grunt to top end speed with just enough power for overtaking in awkward situations.

Maybe I’m slowing down in my later years and enjoy going out for the ride and to admire the passing scenery.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
199 Posts
I moved DOWN to a Rebel. It's all I need for where I am right now.
I just put a Gopro mount on it so look for some videos :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just downsized from a Vulcan S 650 to the 500. I loved the Vulcn but for daily city riding the Rebel works better for me. If you're looking to move up in size and power I recommend it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got a rebel for around town and taking on my boat when traveling the river.
My next step for country blast is a 1200 sportster forty eight. I just love the look of both these bikes.
Why choose when you can have both.
I too love the look of the forty-eight, but with less than an inch difference on wheelbase I’d think it would ride very similar to the rebel. Heavier and quicker with less lean angle. Although in response to the OP; any bike is an option, just weigh your options first.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm older than dirt but longed for something with a little more power. Sold the Rebel 500 and bought a Triumph Bonneville Bobber. A little more than 100 lbs heavier but the low end torque rules. Happy now, probably be my last bike, looking at motorized wheelchairs next. :)
DSC05155.JPG

·
Registered
279 Posts
Next Spring I'm planning to add a Yamaha 700 Tenere adventure touring bike to the list of bikes in my sig file.

Reactions: rkpalmerjr

·
Registered
192 Posts
I guess it would depend on your style and your needs. Some move away from the cruiser style to the sport bike category. Others Harley it is. For me (but I'm older than dirt) it was another Rebel and a Shadow.
I have a 2019 Rebel 500 and a 2003 Shadow. How does your Rebel compare to your (new) Shadow. My Shadow is a pretty clunky ride possibly because it feels bottom heavy. I'm wondering if the newer Shadows have better overall weight distribution. But I put on a Mustang seat and Memphis Shades shield and can ride for hours and hours on end. It feel very solid on the highway. The Rebel is faster off the line though. How do you compare the 2?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have a 2019 Rebel 500 and a 2003 Shadow. How does your Rebel compare to your (new) Shadow. My Shadow is a pretty clunky ride possibly because it feels bottom heavy. I'm wondering if the newer Shadows have better overall weight distribution. But I put on a Mustang seat and Memphis Shades shield and can ride for hours and hours on end. It feel very solid on the highway. The Rebel is faster off the line though. How do you compare the 2?
I don't think that there has been much change from 2003. If there is it is nothing major. I really have a hard time picking a favorite between the two. I think that they are both good on the freeway with the Shadow being more stable like you said but the Rebel FEELS faster even at the same speed (I know that doesn't make sense). If I had to pick only one bike most of the time I'd go with the Shadow because of the classic cruiser look.

Reactions: Reigny16

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a rebel for around town and taking on my boat when traveling the river.
My next step for country blast is a 1200 sportster forty eight. I just love the look of both these bikes.
Why choose when you can have both.
The only thing I don't care for on the 48 is the 2.2 gallon gas tank. It's a 1200 and even with FI, be near a gas station when the trip odometer hit's 65-70 miles. There ain't much left in the tank. On the plus side, you'll love those fat tires. They soak up some of the road imperfections that the suspension doesn't and and the bike handles really well with them. I have the 1200C version with those tires and they are excellent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Rebel is a perfect city bike for me. I normally do cross continent rides on Enduros myself, except Russia, which I did on an old Ural. Honda Shadows are nice for highway riding, but you want something nimble in town. Buddy of mine got T boned on his Shadow and just couldn't get out of the way in time. I'm really thinking of getting a H'ness in India and riding to Singapore(or wherever I can sell it). Once we get a vaccine.
But yeah, a solid KLR style enduro will let you ride to Alaska or Costa Rica or Nova Scotia, and tear up some trails while you're at it. Standing on your pegs while climbing up a mountain side is the next level. A steak and a beer at the end of the day will never feel so earned.

·
Registered
Rebel 500 ABS
11 Posts
I love my Rebel and it’s been great to learn on, and I wonder about this too. There are rides out of the city and across various states I’d like to take. The Rebel doesn’t feel the best size for me for rides out into the far country. After two hours on the Rebel I’m feeling pretty beat up in the ways others describe.

I wonder about the mid-size ADV / GT models—900 or less ccs, a rider mode for mild dirt roads, a bit of windscreen for the highway, a less hunched up (for me) rider position in general.

It’s not engine size for me that’s the issue but comfort and riding position. Jim Bronsen’s fictional HD Sportster he rode on NBC across the states back in 1969 had, I think, a really similar weight to power ratio as the current 500 (and only 5 gears). One could ride the Rebel obviously to anyplace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love my Rebel and it’s been great to learn on, and I wonder about this too. There are rides out of the city and across various states I’d like to take. The Rebel doesn’t feel the best size for me for rides out into the far country. After two hours on the Rebel I’m feeling pretty beat up in the ways others describe.

I wonder about the mid-size ADV / GT models—900 or less ccs, a rider mode for mild dirt roads, a bit of windscreen for the highway, a less hunched up (for me) rider position in general.

It’s not engine size for me that’s the issue but comfort and riding position. Jim Bronsen’s fictional HD Sportster he rode on NBC across the states back in 1969 had, I think, a really similar weight to power ratio as the current 500 (and only 5 gears). One could ride the Rebel obviously to anyplace.
Stamper, exactly! I love Rebel too. I'm trying to find a next and probably last bike that would meet the same criteria: comfort and riding position + weight - important for an old guy like me.
  • 650-950 cc
  • straight or forward foot controls
  • weight under 500 lbs
  • low seat
The only one that would meet these requirements that I found so far is Triumph Street Twin. Any other finds?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts