Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to do a quick review of the AirHawk Seat Cushion over a stock seat. I do love my Corbin but wanted to get back to the solo seat look that attracted me to the Rebel in the first place.

I purchased the AirHawk from Amazon with same day delivery for about $107 (I got the Dual Sport model and it fits perfectly). Installation was easy - remove the stock seat and attach with the included straps. The trick was putting the correct amount of air into the bladder. Too much and it's like sitting on a balloon with rocking front to back and side to side and it's not a good feeling. Too little and it does nothing. I worked it out to where I'm comfortable and there is very little air in the seat - just enough to lift me up off the seat. I rode down from Long Beach to Carlsbad about 80 miles each way and 99% freeway. Before the AirHawk I was able to ride maybe 10 minutes on the stock seat before my rear was dying. After, my butt was no problem. I did experience some lower back pain after about 60 miles but that's a combination of old man syndrome and not enough saddle time. The Corbin helps a little with low back pain because the shape of the seat makes a short back-rest but the shape can also prevent you from moving back in the seat.

All-in-all I would highly recommend the AirHawk - for the price it can't be beat. Don't over-inflate it and you're OK. I'm trying to get my hands on a BeadRider to test out. I am also having a custom seat built over the stock pan. I was supposed to have it back last Friday but it won't be ready until tomorrow.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ask and you shall receive.

photo 1 is with the Corbin

2 shows the straps crisscrossed under the stock seat

3 shows the stock seat with the AirHawk

4 shows another angle

5 shows the bladder with very little air in it. It's not an air mattress so less is better.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size is your Air Hawk?
Let me say one more thing. I have tried all different options for the Rebel. I have a Corbin seat, Bead Rider, Air Hawk, custom made seat on the stock pan and a stock seat. My recommendation to anyone who can get over the looks of the Corbin is to get the Corbin. It is mostly comfortable right out of the box and gets more comfortable over use. It's a bit pricey at $366 but it is well worth it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Let me say one more thing. I have tried all different options for the Rebel. I have a Corbin seat, Bead Rider, Air Hawk, custom made seat on the stock pan and a stock seat. My recommendation to anyone who can get over the looks of the Corbin is to get the Corbin. It is mostly comfortable right out of the box and gets more comfortable over use. It's a bit pricey at $366 but it is well worth it.
Best $ I ever spent on a bike mod

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the seat discussion. I used to buy Mustang seats for my bikes in the past, but that's not an option here since it looks like they don't make one.

A friend of mine found Corbin too hard, but I have no idea if I'd like one. Since I'm female, my rear is a bit different than a guy's rump. I'm thinking Corbin. I'm not sure that the Airhawk will help much, because I have to be somewhat careful of seat height at my size of 5'4". But, I'm not totally opposed to the Air Hawk if it is more comfortable than the stock seat. The stock seat gets me in the tailbone a bit.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the seat discussion. I used to buy Mustang seats for my bikes in the past, but that's not an option here since it looks like they don't make one.

A friend of mine found Corbin too hard, but I have no idea if I'd like one. Since I'm female, my rear is a bit different than a guy's rump. I'm thinking Corbin. I'm not sure that the Airhawk will help much, because I have to be somewhat careful of seat height at my size of 5'4". But, I'm not totally opposed to the Air Hawk if it is more comfortable than the stock seat. The stock seat gets me in the tailbone a bit.
The point of tha Airhawk is to get your butt just a tiny bit off of the seat and let air flow between you and the seat an d that takes very little air. You should not even need to adjust your mirrors.

The Corbin may start out a bit stiff but it just needs to be broken in for a couple of thousand miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The point of tha Airhawk is to get your butt just a tiny bit off of the seat and let air flow between you and the seat an d that takes very little air. You should not even need to adjust your mirrors.

The Corbin may start out a bit stiff but it just needs to be broken in for a couple of thousand miles.

"Couple of thousand miles" seems like quite the break in period! haha. I'm heavily considering the Corbin based on your reviews of it though. Also, what is that red bag on your luggage rack?? Wouldn't mind snagging that for my red rebel as well :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Couple of thousand miles" seems like quite the break in period! haha. I'm heavily considering the Corbin based on your reviews of it though. Also, what is that red bag on your luggage rack?? Wouldn't mind snagging that for my red rebel as well :)
That's a bag I made. I use it for the charger for my gopros.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok, I just bought one of AirHawk 2 Dual Sport seat.

Today I made a small ~4 hours trip. Cannot say is it good or bad yet.

Next weekend I'm going to do about 500 miles in two all days rides. With a day between to heal my ass.
I'll do one day on AirHawk and return without. Let's see the difference.

On the box, it says "if it doesn't double the distance you are able to ride in comfort, simply return it for a full refund"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, I just bought one of AirHawk 2 Dual Sport seat.

Today I made a small ~4 hours trip. Cannot say is it good or bad yet.

4 hours is 'small'?

I'm a brand new rider..only 400 miles on the bike, but between the awful Rebel seat and my newbie butt....and riding 400 miles in a relatively short time... (10 days or so?) I feel I have hurt myself. I can't ride more than 20-30 minutes now without hurting 'down there'. I'm sitting on the couch this morning, and I still hurt from a 1 hour ride yesterday. I need to take several days off from riding to heal. (maybe a week?) So I'm interested in the AirHawk.

Is this what fits the Rebel? It's listed as medium:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/vikingbags.com?languages=all

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
4 hours is 'small'?

I'm a brand new rider..only 400 miles on the bike, but between the awful Rebel seat and my newbie butt....and riding 400 miles in a relatively short time... (10 days or so?) I feel I have hurt myself. I can't ride more than 20-30 minutes now without hurting 'down there'. I'm sitting on the couch this morning, and I still hurt from a 1 hour ride yesterday. I need to take several days off from riding to heal. (maybe a week?) So I'm interested in the AirHawk.

Is this what fits the Rebel? It's listed as medium:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/vikingbags.com?languages=all
Ohio,

The riders that have had the most success at making the Rebel comfortable enough to ride long distance have either purchased a Corbin Seat, or taken their OEM Seat to a local Automotive Upholstery Shop and had foam added and/or a gel pad.

With the Corbin Seat you get pushed forward an inch or 2 so if of taller stature it probably won't work for you.

I have added 3 inches of foam to the OEM Seat to make the bike fit me and I frequently ride several hours at a time in comfort.

Kenny G

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 18 of 18 Posts