Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else had an issue with their seat getting extremely hot after about 30 minutes of riding, i took mine off the other day and noticed there's a big heat sink right underneath it, WTF honda!? My butt doesn't need to be cooked like that!!!! would putting some sort of heat shield material underneath the seat effect anything?

·
Registered
85 Posts
has anyone else had an issue with their seat getting extremely hot after about 30 minutes of riding, i took mine off the other day and noticed there's a big heat sink right underneath it, WTF honda!? My butt doesn't need to be cooked like that!!!! would putting some sort of heat shield material underneath the seat effect anything?
When you say there is a big heat sink right underneath, what exactly do you mean?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes ive just started noticing this within the past 2 months. Not a fan. Im assuming when I put the springer seat on it wont be as bad.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes ive just started noticing this within the past 2 months. Not a fan. Im assuming when I put the springer seat on it wont be as bad.
maybe I'm not wearing thick enough pants or something but holy crap it feels like my ass is boiling sometimes hahaha... the only downside to the springer seat is all your electrical will be exposed would it not? I'd def go that route if i could make some sort of cover or something so things wouldn't get wet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
maybe I'm not wearing thick enough pants or something but holy crap it feels like my ass is boiling sometimes hahaha... the only downside to the springer seat is all your electrical will be exposed would it not? I'd def go that route if i could make some sort of cover or something so things wouldn't get wet.
Well I think I just need a seat bracket to cover it up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Solo-Driver-Seat-Base-3-Spring-Bracket-For-Harley-Bobber-Chopper-USA/263485863737?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=44039&meid=841f84f9c5284539bfe9ea7dfc444500&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=pp&sd=112701514652&itm=263485863737&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

·
Registered
814 Posts
Well here is what I would do. Next time it gets hot keep the bike running and remove the seat and see if that metal plate is hot. To be honest it should be warm but not hot. The seat could actually be building up heat from a number of things(Rectifier, Engine heat, and body heat. Two quick fixes would be what you mentioned earlier, installing a heat shield. You can do it two ways, or possibly both ways.
1. Remove that black plate and install a sheet of insulated heat shield in between the plate and the rectifier. That would stop that plate from building up heat expelled from the rectifier.
2. They heat shield they use for motorcycle fairings normally has a side you can peel off and stick on to something. You can buy that and cut it in the shape of the seat and adhere it to the bottom of the seat.(This would help if the engine is also part of your seat getting hot.

Random over the top option.
If you find the rectifier is getting very hot you could install a fan on it pretty easily. They make computer fans that can run off 12v that you could easily screw into the fins of the rectifier and then just wire to a 12v line that is switched on when the bike is running. They use very little power.

·
Registered
935 Posts
heat shielding under the seat can definitely be beneficial. just check clearances and such.
it was pretty much required on my Buell. those things were SOOO hot i don't need to tell you. plus living in AZ at the time didn't help either. everyone on the forum i joined had basically done that day 1 off the showroom floor.
this bike does put off heat from time to time i've noticed, but i feel it on the inside of my right leg more than the left, but again these are 90F + days i'm talking about

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have almost 9000 miles on the Rebel so far and haven't noticed this at all. But let me say this, it was 115 out here today and riding to and from work was not fun. My ass was probably the only thing that didn't feel like it was on fire!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have almost 9000 miles on the Rebel so far and haven't noticed this at all. But let me say this, it was 115 out here today and riding to and from work was not fun. My ass was probably the only thing that didn't feel like it was on fire!
Thank god I had today off but I did ride at the peak of the temp today and it was actually hotter moving than sitting still. I don't have summer gear so I went squid, but so did every rider I saw on the road today

1 - 17 of 17 Posts