Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Rebels!

The new Rebel 500 has been gellin' in the back of my mind for a few weeks now and I can't shake it! Thought I'd join the forum to share in the buzz of this new model.

I've been riding for over 30 years on a 650, 750, and current Pacific Coast 800. For the last year, I've been doing a casual maintenance restoration on the PC and dreaming about what my next ride might be. My tastes have changed a bit in what I think I want in a bike. The PC has it all - and maybe more...

For the 16 years that I've owned my PC, it has been mechanically trouble free, it owes me nothing. Great gas mileage (50 mpg), comfortable ride, lots of storage capacity, and NO chrome! What's not to like? Plastic! The entire bike is sheathed in plastic panels. That's what I wanted at the time, but times have changed. I no longer want to spent hours of plastic panel removal to do minutes of maintenance tasks. Battery removal is a PITA!

What I really like about the 500 is its simplicity. No plastic, no chrome, easy engine and mechanical access, light weight / balance, basic retro bobber styling. Before the 500, I had been really keen on the Royal Enfield Classic as a basic light bike.

It'll be 2018 before I get the Rebel 500, but I'd like to share in the adventure with y'all now!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome! I was drawn to the Rebel for the same reason. I liked the simple, blacked out look to it. Have you had the chance to take one out for a ride yet? The test ride sealed the deal for me.

-CG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! I was drawn to the Rebel for the same reason. I liked the simple, blacked out look to it. Have you had the chance to take one out for a ride yet? The test ride sealed the deal for me.

-CG
No, I've not ridden one yet, that'll be the deciding factor. I have only sat on them in the showrooms.

They only started appearing a few weeks ago in some of the shops I visit. Somewhat cautious at first, I'd give them a quick look and move on, thinking it's too small. Then I'd glance around to make sure no one was looking as I mounted one, same as when I was looking at Royal Enfield. I always thought these were too small compared to what I am used to, 650's to 900. To my surprise, it feels comfortable! I'm looking forward to returning to a couple shops this week to spend more time pouring over them.

The motorcycle owners trend seems to keep upsizing. I have no problem with big bikes. Right now I'm exploring downsizing to see what suits my desires.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome to forum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I visited three dealers with 500's for a closer look. What really impressed me was the 'triangle' - seat, foot pegs, handlebars. Despite the pictures that make it look smaller than it is, it felt really good to sit on. I compared it to sitting on some bigger cruisers and adventurers. I found some bigger/heavier cruisers that had an uncomfortable triangle - too cramped. I kept thinking how low the seat is, but it feels like a good fit for me. Especially how I favor the taller adventure and street bikes and dont like the low and wide cruiser style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts