Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like Ohlins now has some suspension components for our bikes.... now the big question is price.... I know Ohlins are pretty pricey but they are sure worth the price of admission if handling is your cup of tea... what's your take?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Very nice mod to have.

Modding your bike can be an obsession.All depends how deep your pocketbook is. :p

Best you determine if you really need it (and will really use it) before pulling the trigger. ;)

I have fallen into this trap so many, many times.....but still smile when I look back. :|

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very nice mod to have.

Modding your bike can be an obsession.All depends how deep your pocketbook is. :p

Best you determine if you really need it (and will really use it) before pulling the trigger. ;)

I have fallen into this trap so many, many times.....but still smile when I look back. :|
i gotta ask, whats your biggest upgrade regret? I see you have quite a stable of bikes :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I found one site that has them listed in euros. Converted it's about $900 for the standard shock and $1250 for the piggyback. Definitely to steep for me in the foreseeable future though I'm sure it's an amazing ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will probable end up with another set. With the factory settings on mine the back almost bottoms out with me sitting on it. I'm 170lbs. With a passenger it would be a rough ride.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had full Ohlins on my race bikes. I used to race 600s super sports. Fantastic kit. I've also got full ohlins forks and rear shock on my Triumph speed triple R. In my opinion they are essential for the track, but too firm for road use. Well on the roads here in UK anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I found one site that has them listed in euros. Converted it's about $900 for the standard shock and $1250 for the piggyback. Definitely to steep for me in the foreseeable future though I'm sure it's an amazing ride.
Holy crap, that's expensive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I will probable end up with another set. With the factory settings on mine the back almost bottoms out with me sitting on it. I'm 170lbs. With a passenger it would be a rough ride.
Wait, seriously? I'm 250 lbs and I've never bottomed out. Check that preload.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually didn't bottom out riding with my daughter but she's only about 100 lbs. and me with my gear is probably close to 175 lbs. but I know it could use a bit more preload when riding with a passenger.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I weigh 170 lbs. and riding mostly rural roads that are not in the best of shape. I have not bottomed out with the shock absorbers on the factory setting.

I do check the tires before every ride.

Kenny G

·
Registered
190 Posts
i gotta ask, whats your biggest upgrade regret? I see you have quite a stable of bikes :D

About 3 years ago, I bought a brand new Triumph Bonneville because it was once my favorite bike in my youth.

Loaded it with tons of accessories (bling-bling and all) and didn't get to ride it much. It had only 357 kms on the odometer when I decided to sell it after having for 2 years. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If I was to take the handlebars out of the way could I then change the fork springs without dropping the forks?

Kenny G

·
Registered
167 Posts
No drain on mine. Removing the fork legs isn't a hard job. Just do one leg then replace it and do the other one.

I used to rebuild forks, it's not difficult and always a bad idea unless you are also replacing the seals, fork seals like to be left alone but I suppose it's less of a deal with street bikes.
I have to do something with the spring rate, the forks are dangerously "dippy" for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts