Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be able to answer this question myself later but meanwhile am curious .. Both times I have changed the Oil and Oil Filter on my Honda CMX1100 DCT after the Dealership Serviced the Oil Filter was a Bear to get loose both times the 2nd time was not even 2 weeks old when did it .. At age 73 am aware not quite as strong as I once was but called my neighbor and he is a recently retired Gunny Sergeant in the Marines in late 40's, Stronger than a Bear and it took near all he had to break it loose but we definitely made sure a good Oil Seal was made on the Filter this time only tightening hand tight and sealed fine.. Will find out for sure if the Dealer is not putting any oil on the seal or are they just wrench tightening it way too much .. Just wondering if anyone doing all their own Oil changes having any problem ...

· Registered
1,309 Posts
I have done every oil change myself. I have a filter wrench/pliers and it works well. I do use it to when installing to get the filter just a little tighter than my 74 year old arthritic hands can do. I always coat the gasket but most of the time I think a filter comes off harder than it goes on. Maybe the oil coating on the gasket dries up. I can remember once getting a used bike that I actually had to use a hammer and chisel to get the oil filter off.

· Registered
728 Posts
Agreed they seem to be tighter coming off than going on, I do the oil on the o ring, then just hand tighten, (making sure I don't have a slippery filter or hands) now I am curious and will measure how much torque I can put on a filter, will post results later, hands busy with donuts and bee,,, uh, refreshing beverages right now.
just north of 80 inch lbs, almost spilled my liquid nourishment!

· Registered
728 Posts

· Registered
728 Posts
all this consternation over a simple oil filter is amusing
Yep , like what kinda muffler sounds like I got the biggest weiner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts