Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like an idea of having a short fender, unfortunately it will require number plates to be mounted on a side.

it can also be installed on a mudguard, like on Ducati Scrambler.

Just an idea. One day I'll probably make it.

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
It’s easily possible to mount the plate on my splash guard & prob most others May even add a little more mud/water deflection especially if it’s a big plate like one in your pic.

I still prefer side mounting because of the huge ugly size of the Thai plates & would lose the aesthetics if bolted to the new guard.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In uk number plates are huge, and I have a feeling that it will look not good on side mount.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Guys,
I too am not a fan of the big blocky tail light and will be looking to replace it with a round one. Unfortunately in my state it is illegal to side mount our license plates. I had considered the after market short fender that can be bought from Thailand that has the LED strip light built in, but then where do I put the plate so it doesn't defeat the purpose? Not to mention I think the integrated indicators are also against road regs here.
As I said, I reckon a nice bright round tail light in black, that has the plate mount underneath, with a couple of bullet indicators might have to do the trick.

Fletch

·
Registered
306 Posts
The brick is the bane of our "stylists".

I'd like a nice round replacement so I'll be keeping an eye on what happens here.

And you're right about road regulations. I had to get a roadworthy for my Vespa when I sold it and as it was stock standard so I thought "no problems".

The guy who did the RWC was great and explained that it didn't have a separate rear red reflector as required by VIC Road Rules so he stuck one on for his audit photos.

As to number plate mounting, I'll still use the back as I can't be bothered arguing with Plod id I get pulled over for a "rego check".

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have seen your set up before Nosinut, I like it a lot and agree it is more fitting. Have you had a chance to see it from behind at night from a distance? How bright is the tail light and also each indicator? As has been mentioned by others in other threads, looks are great but visibility is what will keep us alive. If we can have both then perfect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I havent gotten a chance to see my bike on the road from a distance (that would hurt haha). The signals are pretty bright, and the brake light is so-so. If I ever do it again I would look for a brighter setup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Guys,
I too am not a fan of the big blocky tail light and will be looking to replace it with a round one. Unfortunately in my state it is illegal to side mount our license plates. I had considered the after market short fender that can be bought from Thailand that has the LED strip light built in, but then where do I put the plate so it doesn't defeat the purpose? Not to mention I think the integrated indicators are also against road regs here.
As I said, I reckon a nice bright round tail light in black, that has the plate mount underneath, with a couple of bullet indicators might have to do the trick.

Fletch
Hey Fletch
I looked into the legalities of integrated indicators and they're not legal in NSW neither is the side mounting number plate. I had a neat tail tidy setup on a Triumph Im looking around for something I can modify for the Rebel. I will post details if I find anything.

Gyps

·
Registered
4 Posts
The intergrated tail lights and indicators are ok in NSW as long as the indicator part is only used as auxilaries. You must have a set of primary indicators that are a minimum of 18cm appart. i am dioing a setup like that and will post pictures when the bike is finished. yes you are very correct about the number plate not being able to be mounted on the side, has to be mounted centered on the back and in a upright possition at a 45% angle to easaly be seen by the cameras. Also a red reflector is required to be on the back as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Guys,

Fletch
Hey mate, I have ordered in the Diablo short bob fender and I'm looking at mounting issues at the moment, might go with the mudguard mount with own light wiring or possibly a personalised slim plate on the lip of the fender, in regards to indicators, I will be leaving the stock ones on and splicing into the aftermarket light harness giving me the two original and the two in the fender, will have a look at placement on fender before going to the mudguard, will post updates

1 - 14 of 14 Posts