Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
thank you.................I did not realize motorcycles had catalytic converters. Getting rid of it.........how does it effect your bike?...........probably less mileage and more power??
Yes, that would be the basic idea. I wouldn't expect to see much, if any power gain just from replacing the entire exhaust on this bike.

Every engine can breathe better than it does stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's my thought too. When I asked him about it, he said they hardly ever re-tune after and no engine lights either..💁‍♂️

I was thinking that it would just need a spark plug defouler to fool the o2 sensor, like you would do on a car/truck when gutting or removing the cat. But I'm not so sure..
The only place a spark plug non fouler would be used is on the secondary O2s (sensors after the cats) which monitor how the cats are functioning, however, only cars and trucks used those sensors. All modern vehicles with fuel injection use primary / upstream O2 sensor before the Cat, to measure how measure the exhaust content, which inturn allows the computer to adjust the air/fuel ratio, and compensate for any changes. Interesting fact...O2s sensor have a heating circuit built in, heats up a filament of sorts, a signal voltage is applied across the filament, the voltage that is able to pass throu the filament will vary depending on its temperature. Oxygen cools down the filament, so different amounts of oxygen in the exhaust will cool the filament accordingly, changing the voltage value coming out of the sensor. The computer reads the voltage and knows how much oxygen is in the exhaust, 14.1 to 1 is the desired air/fuel ratio for 87-93 pump gas. 12.4 to 1 for E-85 which has to run richer, but we don't use that in bikes. Now since the O2 sensor is anywhere between the engine and the cat, depending on which bike you have, it measure air/ fuel ratio only, not cat performance, so in this case, the spark plug non fouler is not required.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You might be disappointed with a dyno run when you see a power loss. It really doesn't look like it was designed for good flow. There's no scavenging without merging the pipes together ahead of the mufflers.
I know this is an older post.

Usually a 2 into 1 has better scavenging that helps at lower rpms. An exhaust like this usually makes more power at the top end.

That's why the Sportster crowd loves the 2 short pipes. Then in a case of irony the Sportster doesn't really rev high enough to take advantage.

·
Registered
Bolt
296 Posts
O2s sensor have a heating circuit built in, heats up a filament of sorts, a signal voltage is applied across the filament, the voltage that is able to pass throu the filament will vary depending on its temperature. Oxygen cools down the filament, so different amounts of oxygen in the exhaust will cool the filament accordingly, changing the voltage value coming out of the sensor.
I think you're describing the way a mass air flow sensor works. An O2 heating element is only used to get it up to operating temperature. Our narrow band sensors are solid state and create their own voltage.
The computer reads the voltage and knows how much oxygen is in the exhaust, 14.1 to 1 is the desired air/fuel ratio for 87-93 pump gas.
Some people still run plain old gasoline so it'll be at 14.7:1. 14.1:1 is only for E10.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The only place a spark plug non fouler would be used is on the secondary O2s (sensors after the cats) which monitor how the cats are functioning, however, only cars and trucks used those sensors.... so in this case, the spark plug non fouler is not required.
Yes, you are correct. I hadn't thought about it much before that post.

Usually a 2 into 1 has better scavenging that helps at lower rpms. An exhaust like this usually makes more power at the top end.
Ya, 2-1 is the ideal setup to have for these bikes from what I've read. I don't care much about the low end loss and could always re-gear if I wanted.

I'll probably pull the trigger and order this exhaust for next season. Really debating getting the intake kit to go with it, but we'll see..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, you are correct. I hadn't thought about it much before that post.

Ya, 2-1 is the ideal setup to have for these bikes from what I've read. I don't care much about the low end loss and could always re-gear if I wanted.

I'll probably pull the trigger and order this exhaust for next season. Really debating getting the intake kit to go with it, but we'll see..
Just curious if you have the financial ability to get an 1100. If you can't I understand but it sounds like you are dumping a lot of money into a 500 for more power. At the end of the day it will still be a 500 and never have the power of the 1100. With what you are spending it may be cheaper to just buy the bigger bike.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I could absolutely afford an 1100, if that is what I wanted. I'm not dumping a whole lot of money into this bike, only invested ~ $1k, which is nothing compared to so many others here who have paid half that just for a seat... Nothing I've done had anything to do with wanting more power..nor does this exhaust.

I'm fully aware there is little to no improvement in power with these bikes. I'm just trying to make it my own and unique.

·
Registered
2021 500 se
3 Posts
Hi! Just wanted to let you know. I took the leap of faith the other day and bought NOY’s big shots exhaust. Knowing I have a private shop near me with a brand new dyno. Best part is the guys just love bike’s none of the ego Harley dudes…any way. I slapped it on. Takes about 20 min. And it runs just as well as it did with the stock exhaust. I don’t notice much power change ether. Going to get a chip and programmed in the spring on the dyno for shits anyway. Cuz why not.

also. I’m on a 2021 500 with abs.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi! Just wanted to let you know. I took the leap of faith the other day and bought NOY’s big shots exhaust. Knowing I have a private shop near me with a brand new dyno. Best part is the guys just love bike’s none of the ego Harley dudes…any way. I slapped it on. Takes about 20 min. And it runs just as well as it did with the stock exhaust. I don’t notice much power change ether. Going to get a chip and programmed in the spring on the dyno for shits anyway. Cuz why not.

also. I’m on a 2021 500 with abs.
That's great to hear, thanks for posting!

I may end up pulling the trigger on it this winter myself. What "chip" are you referring to?

·
Registered
2022 Honda Rebel 1100 ABS
17 Posts
Power Commander 6 is the most popular. And I hope he means a "tuner" device and not a chip. I haven't looked into Tuners for the Rebel too much, but there should be free basemap tunes (on their website) you can load onto the unit and flash the bike. This usually gives a slight very safe conservative power bump. However, a professional tuner can utilize the same device and create a map from scratch according to your mods or even stock if you wanna maximize all the potential you can with stock. Every bike is different. So don't set high expectations.

99% of chip units only increase throttle response and nothing else.
Meaning as soon as you touch the gas. It thinks you already have the gas pedal pressed 90% all the way down. Like using sport mode in a car.

If you want free basemaps and eventually a professional remapping your car, get a tuner.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
The pc 6 must be fairly new, as I haven't seen any that fit the rebel 500s. There is a thread deep in this forum from someone who used cbr500 maps on his rebel 500 with no issues.

Edit;

Looks like dynojet finally had enough interest for the Rebel to have it in mind for the new PC6. That's nice to see.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts