Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in North America installed this on their 500?

I'm currently running the Shorty GP but would prefer to delete the cat and replace the whole exhaust with this setup from Takumi world as I really like the look and sound of it. They say it doesn't cause any issues with regards to throwing codes and/or needing a tune, but I'd like to have this confirmed by someone on this side of the pond because I know regulations are different there.

Any input would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my thought too. When I asked him about it, he said they hardly ever re-tune after and no engine lights either..💁‍♂️

I was thinking that it would just need a spark plug defouler to fool the o2 sensor, like you would do on a car/truck when gutting or removing the cat. But I'm not so sure..

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's my thought too. When I asked him about it, he said they hardly ever re-tune after and no engine lights either..💁‍♂️

I was thinking that it would just need a spark plug defouler to fool the o2 sensor, like you would do on a car/truck when gutting or removing the cat. But I'm not so sure..
Would be worth the remap anyways. I’d take what the manufacturer says with a pinch of salt. Tuning guy I know says he’s recommend doing same even with a cat back change to get the best performance etc

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I agree. It is a nice setup and only ~$500cad with shipping.

Unfortunately, there are no shops with a bike dyno anywhere near me so I wouldn't know where to begin with that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, I agree. It is a nice setup and only ~$500cad with shipping.

Unfortunately, there are no shops with a bike dyno anywhere near me so I wouldn't know where to begin with that.
I’m sure there must be in a near by city. Maybe ask a local Harley dealer as the Harley boys love a stage 1! I’d expect you’d need to drive a bit but must be one about somewhere. What would the cost be though? That’s another Q

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m sure there must be in a near by city. Maybe ask a local Harley dealer as the Harley boys love a stage 1! I’d expect you’d need to drive a bit but must be one about somewhere. What would the cost be though? That’s another Q
Closest shop with a dyno would be down in Grand Forks or Fargo..and the Harley guys around here despise metric bikes lol. :rolleyes:

Cost would probably be around the same to a couple hundred more than the exhaust itself.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Closest shop with a dyno would be down in Grand Forks or Fargo..and the Harley guys around here despise metric bikes lol. :rolleyes:

Cost would probably be around the same to a couple hundred more than the exhaust itself.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You could take your chances and drill them out underneath out of sight and re-install the oxygen sensor (or a pair of them if dual pipes). Oxygen sensor might be able to adjust the fueling automatically for the lessor restriction. You could then look at your spark plugs and see if they indicate too lean (real white).

Reactions: yutzy_d

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could take your chances and drill them out underneath out of sight and re-install the oxygen sensor (or a pair of them if dual pipes). Oxygen sensor might be able to adjust the fueling automatically for the lessor restriction. You could then look at your spark plugs and see if they indicate too lean (real white).
The o2 sensor is still used, very hard to see it in the beginning of the video. I wondered if it would have enough range to adjust itself, but if what he told me is true then you would think it could.

·
Registered
Bolt
296 Posts
You might be disappointed with a dyno run when you see a power loss. It really doesn't look like it was designed for good flow. There's no scavenging without merging the pipes together ahead of the mufflers.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't expect to see much, if any gain with just the exhaust. If I do decide to pull the trigger I'd probably get the intake kit as well. That way it's more worth while to get the tune.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
LOL like I said, Harley shops around here won't touch a Honda.
I asked Winnipeg Harley Davidson...here was their response..."usually not" leaves the door open a crack...ask and see what they say

Font Number Parallel Circle Screenshot

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate you looking into it and I agree they may do it. I have personally spoken to one of their former techs to which I was told there is very ittle chance I'd be able to convince them to put any effort into such a bike, unless I threw a bunch of money at them..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone in North America installed this on their 500?

I'm currently running the Shorty GP but would prefer to delete the cat and replace the whole exhaust with this setup from Takumi world as I really like the look and sound of it. They say it doesn't cause any issues with regards to throwing codes and/or needing a tune, but I'd like to have this confirmed by someone on this side of the pond because I know regulations are different there.

Any input would be great, thanks!
Revzilla Fayedenicy muffler for 109.99. You will love it. The black matches perfectly. Best sound ever. Deep. Put it on my 500.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts