Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ..Apparently I'm qualified to do figure 8's in a parking lot ( just past MSF Basic rider course ☺ ) . I went to one of the Honda dealerships here in NYC and they let me sit and roll around their floor on a Beautiful 17 Honda rebel but no go on a test ride . Never rode a motorcycle before 2.5 day MSF course and that bike was a beat up Suzuki 250 with a bent rear brake peddle. Salesperson says other than a demo day ( rare ) it is what it is here on east coast and has to due with insurance . I've naturally Never purchased a vehicle without a testing it first so I stepped back to marinate on the situation. I explained I've never rode on streets and would be a nervous wreck making the 10 mile trip and have no friends available who would get it home . He said they would deliver bike to my residence no worries . I'm 5'11" and a svelte 215 lbs ha ha nope, so I'm leaning towards the 500 as i would hope to grow into and not out of the bike . Q: Have any of you been in this situation and how did you handle it ? It's very encouraging to hear all the positive reviews here and on YouTube about bike but I'm still a bit hesitant. Lots of great info here , glad I found this rebel forum and hope some day to become a full fledged member ( owner ) and not just a voyeur. Apologies for long winded post . Thanks..

·
Registered
708 Posts
Q: Have any of you been in this situation and how did you handle it ? It's very encouraging to hear all the positive reviews here and on YouTube about bike but I'm still a bit hesitant.
What are you hesitant about? Getting a Rebel or getting a bike at all?

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
Hi all ..Apparently I'm qualified to do figure 8's in a parking lot ( just past MSF Basic rider course ☺ ) . I went to one of the Honda dealerships here in NYC and they let me sit and roll around their floor on a Beautiful 17 Honda rebel but no go on a test ride . Never rode a motorcycle before 2.5 day MSF course and that bike was a beat up Suzuki 250 with a bent rear brake peddle. Salesperson says other than a demo day ( rare ) it is what it is here on east coast and has to due with insurance . I've naturally Never purchased a vehicle without a testing it first so I stepped back to marinate on the situation. I explained I've never rode on streets and would be a nervous wreck making the 10 mile trip and have no friends available who would get it home . He said they would deliver bike to my residence no worries . I'm 5'11" and a svelte 215 lbs ha ha nope, so I'm leaning towards the 500 as i would hope to grow into and not out of the bike . Q: Have any of you been in this situation and how did you handle it ? It's very encouraging to hear all the positive reviews here and on YouTube about bike but I'm still a bit hesitant. Lots of great info here , glad I found this rebel forum and hope some day to become a full fledged member ( owner ) and not just a voyeur. Apologies for long winded post . Thanks..
Some people will not be satisfied with the 500 because they have the mentality that they need a 1200 or 1500 or 1800 ccs or bigger. I'm in the group that finds a smaller displacement bike more fun and gets more use because it's easier to handle and you just get on and ride. For me it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Not that the 500 is a slow bike, but it is small enough that you could easily wrestle it around and get closer to using it's peak performance than on a bigger, heavier, more powerful bike. Plus it's safer being more maneuverable and less powerful. Does anyone really need to be able to go 180 mph on the street?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Q: Have any of you been in this situation and how did you handle it ? It's very encouraging to hear all the positive reviews here and on YouTube about bike but I'm still a bit hesitant.
What are you hesitant about? Getting a Rebel or getting a bike at all?
Purchasing a bike without test riding it . Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't blame you at all for being hesitant - I wouldn't buy any vehicle without a test ride either! Possibly the dealership being in the city has something to do with it. If you live in NYC, maybe you could find a Honda dealer on Long Island or upstate that would let you test ride one.

-CG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some people will not be satisfied with the 500 because they have the mentality that they need a 1200 or 1500 or 1800 ccs or bigger. I'm in the group that finds a smaller displacement bike more fun and gets more use because it's easier to handle and you just get on and ride. For me it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Not that the 500 is a slow bike, but it is small enough that you could easily wrestle it around and get closer to using it's peak performance than on a bigger, heavier, more powerful bike. Plus it's safer being more maneuverable and less powerful. Does anyone really need to be able to go 180 mph on the street?
I'm in the same camp thanks . Here in NYC's 5 boros there really is no opening up a powerful bike here as it is all stop n go tight situations in pot hole town . That said if i wanted to go into New Jersey or upstate ny the 500 would get the job done no worries.

I'm

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
I can totally understand why a dealer would not let a new rider test ride one of these bikes. They have no trouble selling them and they open themselves up to almost certainly having some damage occur.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can totally understand why a dealer would not let a new rider test ride one of these bikes. They have no trouble selling them and they open themselves up to almost certainly having some damage occur.
Indeed . Just spoke to a NJ dealership and Harley Davidson are the only ones who are willing to pay insurance and let you test ride albeit with a used model. Japanese companies are unwilling to take the chance with parking lot figure 8 masters like myself.. I believe he also mentioned they require at least 3 years riding experience on any demo days but how they determine that i don't know. Thanks for replies

·
Registered
708 Posts
Indeed . Just spoke to a NJ dealership and Harley Davidson are the only ones who are willing to pay insurance and let you test ride albeit with a used model. Japanese companies are unwilling to take the chance with parking lot figure 8 masters like myself.. I believe he also mentioned they require at least 3 years riding experience on any demo days but how they determine that i don't know. Thanks for replies
To be honest with you, IMO I don't see a test ride as being useful at all on new bikes. What is it that you expect to learn on a 10 minute ride around the parking lot? I have never test ridden a new bike before I bought it and more than half of the bikes that I've owned were new.

A used bike is a whole other story. You may be able to detect mechanical issues even on a short ride.

As far as how can they tell how much experience you have, they may be able to tell when your license was issued depending on what state you live in.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Only place that allows test rides around here is Harley Davidson. Maybe...Just maybe...a dealer might let you test ride a used bike on the lot.
I bought my 300 based on just sitting on it. And even if I had test rode it...I still would've bought it. At the time 300cc seemed like all I'd ever need. Probably is all I need, doesn't mean I don't wish I would've manned up and gotten the 500 though instead.

·
Registered
869 Posts
that is a normal state of affairs at least here in Maryland as well. i'm on bike #9 and surprisingly this was the first bike a dealer ever let me ride. Which is also funny cause I knew i wanted it before i walked in the door. still i wasn't about to turn down the test. basically it was a 20 minute ride around some back roads (with salesperson riding along on another bike). they had one set aside for demos because it had 100 miles on it. loved the way it felt and handled in turns etc.. but it was nice to get a feel for acceleration, braking , weight and so on.
this is the fourth dealer i've bought a bike from (first time for this Honda dealer) and the other 3 that i've bought all my bikes basically laugh if you ask about test rides

·
Registered
105 Posts
Make sure you like the riding position. I discovered that I like the riding position on a sports bike better.

There are quite a few people who are selling their rebel500 with incredibly low mileage and that makes me wonder if they just bought it for the looks and then found out that they aren't comfy on it. My husband finds my bike very awkward and doesn't want to ride it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
In North Texas I have taken test rides on a lot of different bikes over the last 11 years. I just let them copy my drivers license, insurance card and tell them how long I have been riding. They insist that during the test ride one must wear a helmet, long sleeves and boots above the ankle. They just tell me to take it out for a while and park it out front when you return and bring the keys in to the sales office...

Kenny G

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was in a similar situation. I finished up my MSF course and already knew that I wanted the Rebel CMX500. I loved the way it looked, I love the size (I'm 5'3" or 160cm), and the engine size was something I wouldn't grow out of quickly (or ever).
Because I was so new to it all, I wasn't able to test ride it (this one I was purchasing was barely used - not off a lot, from a private seller). I was too nervous to test ride the bike before purchasing it, but I did get on it, sat on it, put my feet on the pegs, leaned from side to side, made sure it was comfortable.
The hesitation you have sounds like a slight case of cold feet. If you felt comfortable sitting on it, and you were happy to roll it around the floor, I say go for it. It's a fun ride, and I bet you'll be looking at all the modifications you'll soon want to add for enhanced fun and personalization. ?

·
Banned
247 Posts
I walked into a HD dealership, signed up and paid for my MSF course (starts next weekend, April 13th), then 2 days later walked into my Honda motorsports dealership and bought my brand new 2018 Honda Rebel 500 ABS because I had already researched it heavily. I knew it didn't have a new motor and that the parallel twin was a tried and true engine, liquid cooling, all the newest tech and ABS. I had watched videos of riders similar in height and weight to myself and they approved and one of the most helpful reviews came from Lemmy and Revzilla.

Don't just walk in and put a leg over a bike and buy it, research it, read the good reviews and the bad, see what peoples complaints are.. will those complaints likely impact you or not? Once you have an idea of the bike(s) you want make sure you know the price, financing options, your own personal credit score etc.

Many motorcycle lenders (yes, even mfg lenders like Honda, Harley etc) are creating a predatory lending environment almost exactly the same as the US housing market from years back, sub-prime loans! They will lend to a buy with a low credit score and considered high risk, then tap them with 80 monthly payments and a 21% interest rate which in many cases doubles or triples the cost of the bike from say $8k to $16K or more. These lenders don't care about you me, or anyone else, either way they win. If you pay it all back on time they made 100% profit or more, if you default they still sell your loan to other people for pennies on the dollar in sub-prime bulk deals and they will still make money off it as will whoever buys the loan.

DO your research, know your budget, know your **** before you walk in the door because I promise you that salesmen isn't your friend, hes out to make a buck and he doesn't care what sort of financial predicament he gets you into, he will assure you that you can ride away today no money down etc etc... don't fall for it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts