Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my Honda CMX500 today :grin2: It should be here in 2-3 weeks. I'm based in Germany with the US Army (husband works with them). At the moment it's just the basic ABS model - black. Although, I'm having handlebar risers installed prior to pick up as I've got short arms!

I'd like to get saddlebags but with a German price tag of about 500 euros, I've decided to look around and see if I could get some shipped over from the US. I'm open to both OEM and aftermarket but have yet to make any decision. (Any suggestions would be welcome). I also plan on getting a windshield. After reading a few forum threads on the subject I'm about to order one from Thailand.

Other than that, I'll be trolling the forums for other custom ideas.

It's a beautiful sunny day out there today and I'm itching to ride!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome to The Forum.....

Ride Safe & Keep The Shiny Side up.....

You may want to try looking into Viking Bags in the U.S.

Kenny G

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome!
I bet you can't wait to have your new bike! I had to wait a week 1/2 and I wanted to be on it the first day I saw one. LOL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I’ve seen some on Viking bags...but they don’t ship to an APO address. I’m seeing what I can do to get around that but they have my first choice so far.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

·
Registered
870 Posts
welcome frohmanj! enjoy the bike when you get it. i had to reread your post cause i was gonna say since you're already in GER you should just get Hepco/becker which are made there. then i realized you mentioned price so assumed you were talking about them. LOL
I have a set on order (brackets were backordered from US distributor), and from what i've seen in my mind they have the best fitment.
i was originally looking at viking hard cases but from the reviews i saw on here you had to drill holes yourself, i'd rather have something that was 100% ready to go and not take a chance on making a mistake on install (even though i'm handy)
but whatever you choose, enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
527 Posts
welcome frohmanj! enjoy the bike when you get it. i had to reread your post cause i was gonna say since you're already in GER you should just get Hepco/becker which are made there. then i realized you mentioned price so assumed you were talking about them. LOL
I have a set on order (brackets were backordered from US distributor), and from what i've seen in my mind they have the best fitment.
i was originally looking at viking hard cases but from the reviews i saw on here you had to drill holes yourself, i'd rather have something that was 100% ready to go and not take a chance on making a mistake on install (even though i'm handy)
I think most saddlebags you'll have to drill yourself unless it's from Honda specifically for this bike.
Really isn't too difficult to do, took me maybe 15-20 minutes total to install my viking bags. Just take your time with one bag and use it as a stencil for the other.
You'll probably save a lot more getting universal bags and going this route.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw the video where it showed you had to drill your own holes....I guess that's another reason why I'm still looking. I did look at the Hepco/Becker bags - we have a local bike store that does them - and yes, I had sticker shock. I'm thinking I've got time to keep looking - something may come up that's perfect.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hallo, ich habe diese Satteltaschen

https://www.ebay.de/itm/58L-Doppel-Satteltaschen-Multifunktionale-Motorrad-Gepacktaschen-Gepacktrager/132530918401?hash=item1edb755401:g:JHEAAOSwLahaoRtP

die passen auf die OEM Satteltaschenhalter. Ich habe die Plastikklips abgeschnitten und die verbleibenden Schlaufen mit Kabelbindern am Satteltaschenhalter befestigt. Ich habe auch den Klettverschluss entfernt und die Taschen zusammengenaeht weil sie zu dick waren und nicht unter den Ruecksitz gepasst haben. Das dauert ungefaehr eine Stunde.

Ich bin sehr zufrieden mit den Taschen weil man sie schnell auf- und zumachen kann und man kann sie auch groesser machen wenn man mehr einkauft als erwartet. Ausserdem sind sie so geformt dass sie neben und nicht auf den Stossdaempfern sind.
Man muss auch nirgendwo Loecher boren ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
:nerd: good point. i got about half of it, can fill in the blanks lol.
have to get back to practicing and learning more (my old copy of rosetta stone stopped working) :crying:

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts

https://www.ebay.de/itm/58L-Doppel-Satteltaschen-Multifunktionale-Motorrad-Gepacktaschen-Gepacktrager/132530918401?hash=item1edb755401:g:JHEAAOSwLahaoRtP

die passen auf die OEM Satteltaschenhalter. Ich habe die Plastikklips abgeschnitten und die verbleibenden Schlaufen mit Kabelbindern am Satteltaschenhalter befestigt. Ich habe auch den Klettverschluss entfernt und die Taschen zusammengenaeht weil sie zu dick waren und nicht unter den Ruecksitz gepasst haben. Das dauert ungefaehr eine Stunde.

Ich bin sehr zufrieden mit den Taschen weil man sie schnell auf- und zumachen kann und man kann sie auch groesser machen wenn man mehr einkauft als erwartet. Ausserdem sind sie so geformt dass sie neben und nicht auf den Stossdaempfern sind.
English only please! Yes, it's a forum rule.

"The language of this forum is English. If you are not a native English speaker, do your best. We are glad to have you as a member and will be supportive and polite."

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
She should be able to speak and understand German if she lives there. If not she can start practising with my post.
I'm afraid she shouldn't, and neither should you, as the designated language for this Forum is English :wink2:

Edit: Didn't see the respond from 01-7700 here until I had posted, sorry for the "double post" on the matter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Danke sehr...Sie sehen sehr toll aus!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
English or German is fine with me ;) - I think those bags look pretty good and they're a good price too!

Mind you, I'm a tad frustrated at the moment - I still don't have my new bike. The place I bought it from said it would arrive in country (Germany) on April 16th and then it would take a week or so for them to get it and do the handlebar mods (risers). As of Friday it still hadn't arrived and the folks there couldn't tell me when it was going to arrive :( The weather here has been perfect the last 3 weekends. I still have the CTX700, but man, I'm itching to ride my Rebel!!

Fingers crossed for sometime this week. Otherwise I'm going to drive up there and camp out until I get it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts