Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My name is Jed and I'm from Charlotte, NC. 'Got the itch' to ride over COVID. I love driving stick, but i realize that's going away eventually, so i want to get into bikes. I learned on a yamaha 125 when i was in HS. Planning on taking the MSF soon. Planning on getting an 1100 as my first bike. Before folks tell me what a bad idea that is, a couple things; 1) I'm 32. Thats not old, but thats also not young. Im not the hooligan i once was and trust my discipline to leave it in rain mode for 6 months 2) ive accepted the fact ill likely drop it 3) i want the power and extra features 4) i think id want a larger bike in short order if i went 3 or 500, no offense, 5) I can always sell it and buy something else 6) life is short :) excited to learn more about rebels from y'all!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 - Metallic Black
59 Posts
Some may disagree, but I think you’ll be fine jumping right in to the 1100. I got my Rebel 500 the day I passed my MSF. Needless to say I only had it for 7 months before trading it in for my 1100. I honestly find the 1100 to be the more confidence inspiring bike actually. Maybe I needed the several months starting out on my 500, maybe I didn’t. Either way the 1100 is a bike that won’t leave you wanting something more. Im very happy with mine. Now if manufacturers would just hurry up with the accessories...

Reactions: jm276607

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some may disagree, but I think you’ll be fine jumping right in to the 1100. I got my Rebel 500 the day I passed my MSF. Needless to say I only had it for 7 months before trading it in for my 1100. I honestly find the 1100 to be the more confidence inspiring bike actually. Maybe I needed the several months starting out on my 500, maybe I didn’t. Either way the 1100 is a bike that won’t leave you wanting something more. Im very happy with mine. Now if manufacturers would just hurry up with the accessories...
Appreciate the personal experience, thanks for posting :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the personal experience, thanks for posting :)

Now i just gotta convince a dealer to give me a decent trade on my garage queen '94 camaro..

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 SE
18 Posts
Buy what YOU want and can afford, as you said, life is short :).
My first bike is a 500 (because i'm stuck at 47 hp with my licence for several monthes) but I'll get a 1100 as soon as I can. Not because I don't like my 500, it's a very lovely bike, very capable, but I plan to do longer trips with my wife as a passanger and we will need a more powerfull bike. The 500 will be for my wife as a comuter ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey! I also bought a red rebel 1100 as my first bike (I am 26). Waiting for it to arrive here in the Netherlands, although the black ones already are available at the dealer. I took my exams on a MT07, so i figured it wouldn't be such a big jump in CC. also the exams are pretty difficult here.

Post some pictures when you have it! and have fun :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
‘Life is short’ is reason enough to just do it. Rebel 1100 is a great bike for all kinds if conditions and situations. All the electronic rider aids are there to help riders like you. Not long ago I’d have suggested starting on something smaller. But the 1100 is a pretty light bike already for a cruiser. Be a little disciplined, as you already said, and keep it in rain mode until you’re comfortable with the size, weight and power. Spend a lot of time in a parking lot doing starts and stops and slow figure-8’s. And get yourself some good riding gear so - one less thing to worry about on the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey! I also bought a red rebel 1100 as my first bike (I am 26). Waiting for it to arrive here in the Netherlands, although the black ones already are available at the dealer. I took my exams on a MT07, so i figured it wouldn't be such a big jump in CC. also the exams are pretty difficult here.

Post some pictures when you have it! and have fun :D
Yes! Very intersted in what you think of it as a new rider close to my age. Please share your experience when you get it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
‘Life is short’ is reason enough to just do it. Rebel 1100 is a great bike for all kinds if conditions and situations. All the electronic rider aids are there to help riders like you. Not long ago I’d have suggested starting on something smaller. But the 1100 is a pretty light bike already for a cruiser. Be a little disciplined, as you already said, and keep it in rain mode until you’re comfortable with the size, weight and power. Spend a lot of time in a parking lot doing starts and stops and slow figure-8’s. And get yourself some good riding gear so - one less thing to worry about on the road.
Thanks. Yes i plan to practice a lot like you said. Seems like the low speed stuff is where a lot of dumb, less physically damaging stuf happens. But lots of shattered egos and wallets ;).

·
Registered
'21 Rebel 1100, '15 CTX 700
27 Posts
What Danny said, except be a lot disciplined.

I'd also consider riding a smaller, lighter, less HP bike for at least a few months. Riding over a decade ago doesn't make you a current rider. If you can find the right used bike at a good price, you can sell it for not too much of a loss - consider it an insurance payment, and put 1,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
715 Posts
After my 50 year break, I returned to a 250cc twin Kymco Venox. It was medium weight and sufficient in power for me then. I kept it even after getting a Yamaha TDM900 two years later. I think your physique helps with making decisions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts