Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Running lamp. The likeness of a "cartoon robot" was intentional.

Turn indicator The Amazon lamp is on axis with the camera. The stock indicator is not, yet the higher brightness of the stock indicator is very obvious.

Luxmeter (iphone) readings:

Stock lamp assembly:
Running lamp: 400 lux
Turn indicator lamp: 2400 lux
Brake lamp: 2800 lux

Amazon aftermarket $18 lamp assembly:
Running lamp: 320 lux
Turn indicator lamp: 280 lux
Brake: 610 lux

Amazon aftermarket 20 watt fog lamps, modified to make them only 10 watt, and mounted on my crash-bar: 9500 lux each. BooYa!

Lux is not typically meaningful when speaking of mono-chromatic light sources, but this should be good enough to compare the relative light output of the stock lamps compared to the aftermarket lamps. Any photographers please feel free to chime in.

I am not impressed. I might put this light on my bicycle, because it is glued together, and I cannot open it to make some improvements. I will keep looking for some cool looking round tail lights.

good to know. when i was looking to replace my rear lights, i had seen that one all over ebay, but never could decide. glad i skipped it based on your brightness appearance

Are there any tail lights for the Rebel that don't include an integrated license plate bracket? I'm looking for something to mount to the stock rear fender and relocate the plate with a tcbros side plate bracket. I have a diablo tidy tail, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. Looking to use the stock location and not the light bar under the fender lip.

Are there any tail lights for the Rebel that don't include an integrated license plate bracket?
The one cited above has a removeable bracket, and looks pretty good. Note that the light is not DOT approved, and does not appear to meet minimum requirements where light output is concerned.

Yeah, safety is of concern. I like the combustion industries light, but I don't want to cut the stock plate bracket off. Plate and plate lights are getting relocated to the right bottom shock mount. I have some small bright bullet lights that are dual function for front and rear (white/amber, red/amber) that I might run along side the stock front signals and the Diablo tidy tail. I've already purchased short Honda connecting harnesses so I don't have any cut factory wires. Just seeing if there is much else out there. DOT approved isn't a big deal to me, but safety is...

Yeah, safety is of concern. I like the combustion industries light, but I don't want to cut the stock plate bracket off. Plate and plate lights are getting relocated to the right bottom shock mount. I have some small bright bullet lights that are dual function for front and rear (white/amber, red/amber) that I might run along side the stock front signals and the Diablo tidy tail. I've already purchased short Honda connecting harnesses so I don't have any cut factory wires. Just seeing if there is much else out there. DOT approved isn't a big deal to me, but safety is...
Hi mate,
Here is the CI lights. They use the stock holes in the fender. I’ve side mounted my plate
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Hey Matt, the Combustion Industries light will fit your setup with or without the tail. Some people chop the tail but it's not required. But on the other hand you can do shock mount, axle mount, or even a sissybar mounted license plate frame...

We've been selling thes Micron lights into the Indian and Harley markets for a couple years now; they are way brighter, and smaller than the OE setups. It's counterintuitive but technology has made it possible to scale them down significantly and maintain their brightness without piling in a bunch of bulky LED diodes.
Adding my setup so you can see - CI taillights and sissybar. Since I run it legal I just left the license plate on. I think it looks fine. My only complaint is with Honda - the wires should have had a few extra inches to make it easier to swap out. Oh and the stock taillights could have had rubber standoffs so it didnt scratch up the paint underneath it. Now I gotta do some touch up.

But having done a before and after test, I can confirm the CI LEDs are brighter than the stock Honda lights even though they are tiny.

Cheers.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

I love the look of the CI tails but had to ditch the rear fender. I ended up putting on my Diablo Tail Tidy rear. The integrated china leds aren't invisible, but definitely feel they need to be brighter. Has anyone used the X-ARC leds other than the one or 2 reviews on youtube? I found some Quasco dual function leds that i might end up running in parallel to the Diablo. They aren't as bright as the X-ARCs, but more light would definitely be beneficial.

Attachments

Visit "LifeOfBurch" youtube channel, he made a video that described how he replaced his Honda Rebel 1100 tail light assembly with a unit that was even more descrete than the one you linked on your question. The assembly he used had the tail light, rear turn signals, and license plate light and he wired it to the Honda wiring harness. Check it out

21 - 30 of 30 Posts