Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

New Tail Lights

19K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  dewey.carmack77 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Hello everyone,

One of my only dislikes on my bike is the rear tail light assembly. It's one of the first things I want to improve. I found these lights and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on these or anything else? I prefer something more "integrated" looking, sleek, and looks like it belongs.

https://www.amazon.com/Cara-Motorcycle-Integrated-Running-Kawasaki/dp/B075JDM8M2/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=Honda+Rebel+300&qid=1551899841&s=gateway&sr=8-18&th=1
I fitted one of these lights to my 500 and looked great at the time but people behind you could not see the indicators/turn signal. Had to change it.

#8 ·
They say the lamp draws 40 watts. In my experience, anything sold on Amazon, is overrated, so I assume the light actually draws about 30 watts. That being said, the budget for the entire bike is about 400 watt. You might be pushing the limits.

Other than that, they look cool.

Personally, I like the way the front turn signals act as "marker" lamps, as well as turn signals. I plan to re-wire my rear turn signals to act as "markers" (inverted).

#11 · (Edited)
I ordered one, to give it a shot. I am thinking that when they say 40 watt, they mean with all lights on at once. I have purchased a lot of automotive lamps from Amazon, and almost never do they meet the wattage claims.

I expect the running light really consumes only 10 watts, the bake lamp draws maybe 15 watts, the tag lamp really draws 5 watts, and the turn signals draw maybe 5 watts each. I will find out when it arrives.

I also noted that the turn signal function is not DOT compliant. It is illegal to turn off the running or brake light in favor of the turn signal. Some modification will be required to use the stock turn signal stalks with this device. Perhaps it can be mounted over the existing housing in place of the lens and tail lamp. There is no way to know until it arrives.

#12 ·
I also noted that the turn signal function is not DOT compliant. It is illegal to turn off the running or brake light in favor of the turn signal. Some modification will be required to use the stock turn signal stalks with this device. Perhaps it can be mounted over the existing housing in place of the lens and tail lamp. There is no way to know until it arrives.
you may have been mis-informed on that.
Modern cars with white led running lights in the front turn those white ones off as the amber turn signal comes on.
BMW. Chevy, Lexus,-dozens of others. Looks a bit strange when you see it happen.
And of course the 2020 and newer Rebel does the same-running light off when turn signal is on.
On the rear of many vehicles, this may not be the same. But I think on some older cars the brake is off when the turn signal is on. Will have to look at the traffic.

#15 ·
finding this signal thread to be interesting. I cannot find a federal law dealing with not shutting off the brake light when the turn signal is on that side. If you look at many cars that do not use a separate turn signal, you'll notice that if the left turn is on, the left brake if off. The newer Mustangs come to mind and hundreds of others as well. On any vehicle with a two rear lights each having a double filament bulb rear light that light will flash when the turn signal is on and the brake on that side will not work. Both cannot be on as they share the same filament (the brighter one) as the smaller filament provides the tail light function.
Interesting stuff here: Turn signals — amber or red? Yes, it matters | aCarPlace , and here ; Article 7. Flashing And Colored Lights :: Vehicle Code :: 2010 California Code :: California Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia .
And for further info- the Amazon light likely does not shut off the brake when the turn signal is on. Here is a link to a similar (identical?) product with a video down the page on the left. Amazon.com: ANKIA 40-LED 40W Motorcycle Tail Light Integrated Running Lamp Brake&Turn Signal Light with License Plate Bracket for Harly Motorcycle Street Bike Cruiser Chopper (Black): Automotive

#16 ·
On any vehicle with a two rear lights each having a double filament bulb rear light that light will flash when the turn signal is on and the brake on that side will not work. Both cannot be on as they share the
Combined turn and indicator lights are only legal in North America as far as I know. In most of the world the turn indicators are amber, and apart from the brake lamp. The North American combined lamps use a system called "turn signal priority". There are two filaments in the bulb. The lower wattage filament is for the "marker" lamp, or tail lamp, and it is always on when the headlamps are on. In the case of a motorcycle the headlamp and tail-lamps are required at all times. The higher wattage filament is the break lamp. If you are turning, the break lamp will blink off on the side that is indicating a turn. The other side remains on steady so long as the break is applied.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee came with the combined turn/brake lamps. I noted that the Grand Cherokees in Europe had amber turn indicators on the rear. The USA models have an extra set of backup lights in place of the amber turn signals. I bought software to change the setting so that the turn indicator is apart from the brake light. Once the configuration was changed, I swapped out the bulb, and now my Jeep has amber turn indicators. I added the rear fog lamps that are a standard in Europe and Asia. I also added additional backup lamps and a back up beeper.

#17 ·
on the subject of cars, i've never liked the single idea that only red lights are in the rear, especially if the brake light ends up flashing when the turn signal is on. for this reason i specifically won't buy a car if they don't have amber/yellow turn signals in the rear. just extra sight/ safety as far as i'm concerned. i'm surprised manufacturers still do that at all in these days.

#18 · (Edited)
i'm surprised manufacturers still do that at all in these days.
I read up on the subject, and it appears that the only reason is style. Almost all pickup trucks do not offer amber turn indicator lamps. I thought it funny that my brother's Chevy Colorado has separate bulbs, behind separate lenses, so there is no good reason for the turn signals not to be amber other than the fact that the person who designed the lamp housing preferred the look of red. The Chevy Colorado, and its clones (Isuzu, and some local brand) are very common in Thailand. They have a different tail lamp assembly. I gather the only difference is the lens color arrangement.

I noted that most Lexus have the red only tail lamps. However sometimes the Toyota clone has amber turn indicators.

#19 · (Edited)
Amazon just dropped off the tail lamp kit. I ordered it because I am fond of round lights.

It feels solid, but I am not very impressed with how bright it is. Also I am not sure how it can be mounted on a rebel. Perhaps if you drill holes in the lens on the existing lamp, and mount it using the holes.

Note that the photos, in the Amazon posting are somewhat misleading. They show the amber turn indicators lit without the running lamp. I was confused by that photo, because such a condition should never happen. The running/plate lamps do remain on when the turn signals are active, as expected. The catch is the brake lamps drown out the turn indicator lamps.

Wattage...... They claim 40 watts. I tested the assembly at 14v because that is what my meter reads while I am riding.

Running + License Plate lamps = .7 watt
Brake = 2.1 watt
Left turn .7 watt
Right turn .7 watt

I sort of expected that the wattage was nowhere near the claimed 40 watts. Amazon and Ebay listings are seldom accurate in that regard.

[sarcasm]Maybe they use a different sized watt?[/sarcasm]

Later I will test it next to the stock light to see how the brightness compares.

#21 · (Edited)

Running lamp. The likeness of a "cartoon robot" was intentional.

Turn indicator The Amazon lamp is on axis with the camera. The stock indicator is not, yet the higher brightness of the stock indicator is very obvious.

Luxmeter (iphone) readings:

Stock lamp assembly:
Running lamp: 400 lux
Turn indicator lamp: 2400 lux
Brake lamp: 2800 lux

Amazon aftermarket $18 lamp assembly:
Running lamp: 320 lux
Turn indicator lamp: 280 lux
Brake: 610 lux

Amazon aftermarket 20 watt fog lamps, modified to make them only 10 watt, and mounted on my crash-bar: 9500 lux each. BooYa!

Lux is not typically meaningful when speaking of mono-chromatic light sources, but this should be good enough to compare the relative light output of the stock lamps compared to the aftermarket lamps. Any photographers please feel free to chime in.

I am not impressed. I might put this light on my bicycle, because it is glued together, and I cannot open it to make some improvements. I will keep looking for some cool looking round tail lights.

#24 ·
Are there any tail lights for the Rebel that don't include an integrated license plate bracket? I'm looking for something to mount to the stock rear fender and relocate the plate with a tcbros side plate bracket. I have a diablo tidy tail, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. Looking to use the stock location and not the light bar under the fender lip.

#26 ·
Yeah, safety is of concern. I like the combustion industries light, but I don't want to cut the stock plate bracket off. Plate and plate lights are getting relocated to the right bottom shock mount. I have some small bright bullet lights that are dual function for front and rear (white/amber, red/amber) that I might run along side the stock front signals and the Diablo tidy tail. I've already purchased short Honda connecting harnesses so I don't have any cut factory wires. Just seeing if there is much else out there. DOT approved isn't a big deal to me, but safety is...

This post has been deleted
#29 ·
I love the look of the CI tails but had to ditch the rear fender. I ended up putting on my Diablo Tail Tidy rear. The integrated china leds aren't invisible, but definitely feel they need to be brighter. Has anyone used the X-ARC leds other than the one or 2 reviews on youtube? I found some Quasco dual function leds that i might end up running in parallel to the Diablo. They aren't as bright as the X-ARCs, but more light would definitely be beneficial.

Attachments

#30 ·
Visit "LifeOfBurch" youtube channel, he made a video that described how he replaced his Honda Rebel 1100 tail light assembly with a unit that was even more descrete than the one you linked on your question. The assembly he used had the tail light, rear turn signals, and license plate light and he wired it to the Honda wiring harness. Check it out