Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! After alot of searching, and alot of waiting, it's finally here boys and girls!
My beautiful new slip on! <3
I've just gotten it today, so it's not on the bike yet. Hopefully it'll be tomorrow, if the weather holds up. Either way, it's going on one of the days during the weekend.

Got it from Thailand through Ebay (this listing: HONDA REBEL CMX 500 300 2017 DOUBLE EXHAUST SYSTEM PIPE SLIP ON CUSTOM CAFE BOBB )
Delivery took a little while, but that's just a matter of some patience.
The package it came in is your typical cardbox, the piece itself had bubblewrap around it, and then some paper sheet around it, and the piece was only "supported" by some news papers... So.. not that great packaging. But to my surprise considering the packaging, it arrived without any damage, thankfully!

This slip on is made from scrap in Thailand, so not a re-selled china item with high profit.
Not directly made by a company or firm either, so it's basically a "no brand" piece, wich I kinda like, since I want a clean look on things, and not some big logo of a brand or company on display on things.
So all in all so far I'm quite happy with my purchase, soooo looking forward to the difference on the bike with this!

So stay tuned for further shots, and video of stock vs new slip on! Although, video editing ain't my strongest suit, so not too sure how that's gonna wound up, but I'll manage somehow, hopefully.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks pretty good! please share and after shot of it installed and maybe a video for sound :D good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m guessing loud. Interested to see how it clamps on to the cat.
Oh yeah, I'm almost a little anxious about how loud it will be :surprise: BUT! It will be in a good way either way. It'll make the bike sound more like what it looks like, and I'll worry less about people not noticing me in traffic and suddenly merging into me!
The clamp that came with it is.. ok, I guess. Would prefear a black one. But I'll use it for now at least.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright then folks, jobs done! It's on there! :grin2:
And it looks so darn good!
And it sounds like... something roaring and screaming at everything and everyone, all the time! It's pretty loud compared to the stock muffler. Still working on the video clips here.
Had a good little trip with it, and it's gonna take some time getting used to. When doing typical city cruising, and driving at a slow speed but with a little "high" rpms? Yeah, people will notice you a couple of blocks away.. lol. I did drive it a little without a helmet on, to get a feel for the sound of it then, and it actually wasn't that bad. The helmet kinda enhances the sound it makes, so I don't think it's directly obnoxiously loud.
On a little side note, while driving I came across some other bikers and some on HD's, and for the first time driving the Rebel among other bikes, I didn't feel like the Rebel was a kind of "wanna be bike"
The Rebel has a neat and kinda aggressive look to it, but it's never sounded the way it looks. Like a big bear, but with a roar like a chiuaua... But not any more!>:)

As for high speed driving, the sound is pretty consistent no matter what speed you're in, or what gear, or what rpm range, it all sounds exactly the same.

As for lag that some experience when having changed the muffler, I can't say I experienced any such thing here. If anything, I got the feeling that the engine was breathing more easier now without all that backpressure. With the stock muffler, you can really tell when the engine is struggling at high rpm's. But now, I couldn't feel any such "drag" from the engine. Instead, it moved through the whole torque curve with ease, and instead of the "drag" you'll feel the engine "losing" it's ability to push any further in that gear instead. I believe this is why people say that they are going further on the gears after having changed out the stock muffler. And it makes sense, because I'm doing the very same thing now, since the engine isn't struggling as much anymore.
Picture this, you have to force breathe alot of air, but you can only do that through a straw. And you have to do it in the least amount of time possible. You'll be having a really hard time doing it, right? Now imagine doing it with a straw that is 5 times bigger in size. It's a whole new world.
Then again, ofc, there is the possible issue as to wether or not you'll end up actually losing power due to the low/none backpressure. But thus far, from what I experienced here, I'm not concerned one bit about that. This baby is roaring like a T-rex now and pulling off like she's always done:grin2:

So yeah.. Besides having to get a little used to rinding a T-rex now compared to a chiuaua, I'm pretty darn satisfied with the slip on here!
It was a little pricy, but 10/10, would buy again!

Stay tuned for whenever I manage to get my head around the video clips!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, forgot to mention, but in regards of the 6th gear, I found it much more plessant and easier to use it more frequently now than before.
Due to the low backpressure, the engine isn't about to kill itself if you're in 6th gear when in "lower" speed.
Before, I would never think to use the 6th gear if I was bellow 62 mph (That's a 100 km/h for us here) But now, I found myself cruising in 6th gear at 43 mph! (70 km/h)
It wasn't intentionally, I lost track of what gear I was in, and as a way to find out I tend to gear all the way up to 6th, and then go down again. But this time when trying to do that, I found myself already being in 6th!
So yeah, so now I know that, and now you do too!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Lyoko,

Is there enough space for one of the swing arm lifts with the new muffler?

I like the looks of your bike with the new exhaust.

Kenny G

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lyoko,

Is there enough space for one of the swing arm lifts with the new muffler?

I like the looks of your bike with the new exhaust.

Kenny G
Thank you Kenny! :grin2:

I had the same thought too when I first saw it mounted on my bike. I don't have such a stand myself, so not able to actually try it out myself.
But, I would definitely believe that there should be enough room on the frame now to be able to use such a stand.
As you can see on the third comparison picture, there is alot of difference in the size between these two exhaust pieces.
For fun I'll throw this picture in as well:

It's a huge difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Thank you Kenny! :grin2:

I had the same thought too when I first saw it mounted on my bike. I don't have such a stand myself, so not able to actually try it out myself.
But, I would definitely believe that there should be enough room on the frame now to be able to use such a stand.
As you can see on the third comparison picture, there is alot of difference in the size between these two exhaust pieces.
For fun I'll throw this picture in as well:

It's a huge difference.
Lyoko,

I am going to wait a couple of weeks and then depending on your opinion I will probably order one.

I wish the Thai guys selling this stuff would improve their packaging, it looks like a bunch of children are wrapping the stuff for shipment.

Kenny G

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lyoko,

I am going to wait a couple of weeks and then depending on your opinion I will probably order one.

I wish the Thai guys selling this stuff would improve their packaging, it looks like a bunch of children are wrapping the stuff for shipment.

Kenny G
Just heed my warning, it is quite the difference in loudness, and it is pretty much pressent the whole time.
The only time it's somewhat "quiet" is when you're doing highway riding, but that might as well just be the wind dampening the worst of the sound..??
It ain't all that bad, I was woundering if I should include a video of while I was riding, but when viewing the footage back home the sound wasn't really anything worth while. The sound of the bike is a little higher, and a little more "ruff around the edges" But besides that, not much actually. But, then again, this is recorded audio, what you hear live is another matter all together.
But in general, at higher speed, when you're able to cruise at the higher gears and lower rpm's, the sound is not bad at all.
I knew it would be loud, just not how much. But I mainly got this slip on due to it's looks, and not much else. So basically I ran the chance of getting something here that wouldn't be usable in the long run. And who know's, I might just go deaf from this exhaust :grin2: So either I'll go deaf and just keep riding with it, since it can't do any more harm to me then ;) Or take to my senses and have to replace it again.
But anyhow, you'll just have to make a judgement call on it Kenny, some people prefear one thing, others the opposite, so yeah..

But yeah, in regards of the wrapping and shipping.. I think I may have been extremly lucky for it to arive in perfect condition, considering it's packaging..! I was slightly shocked when I first opened the package and saw how they had "prepared" it for shipment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That looks and sounds great, Lyoko! It also looks like you'll have no issues using a swingarm lift now. I don't with mine.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking good! and sounds awesome. This is now on my to-buy list.
Thanks ^^, Cool that you want one too :p
Just to have asked, do you have the 300 or the 500?
This slip on will fit both, but the 300 has it's cat in the stock muffler, unlike the 500 where the cat is sepperate from it. It may, or may not, cause some issues that, thus far, isn't pressent on the 500.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks awesome man. I've wanted this one for a while. Is it like obnoxious loud? Need ear plugs loud?
Personally I don't feel the need for any ear plugs, but this may be due to several things: I usually ride with music on just about all the time, so that steals the focus away from the exhaust (can still hear it pretty good thou if I focus on it) But even without music I tend to ignore sounds and focus on the driving. So I guess you can say that it ain't so loud that it makes it impossible to hear anything else. So hence no need for any earplugs.
But others may find the experience quite different again, so it's basically a matter of taste and what you're comfy with yourself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks awesome man. I've wanted this one for a while. Is it like obnoxious loud? Need ear plugs loud?
Thanks

Personally I don't feel the need for any ear plugs, but this may be due to several things: I usually ride with music on just about all the time, so that steals the focus away from the exhaust (can still hear it pretty good thou if I focus on it) But even without music I tend to ignore sounds and focus on the driving. So I guess you can say that it ain't so loud that it makes it impossible to hear anything else. So hence no need for any earplugs.
But others may find the experience quite different again, so it's basically a matter of taste and what you're comfy with yourself.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Side note: how do you listen to music? I haven't tried that yet, as this my first bike. But I'm thinking I'm going to start soon.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts