Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Just joined the forum after getting home from buying my first bike, a 2021 Honda Rebel 500! I’m super psyched about it. The dealership I got it from still has to do the service maintenance on it so I’ll be picking it up on Saturday and driving it 2 1/2 hours home. I took the MSF course a few weeks ago and am ready to start riding my bike to work daily year round. The previous owner only put 3400 miles on it and added the Honda headlight cowl, a Vance and Hines muffler, and Red Dragon forward position pegs. My daily commute is a 45 minute drive at about 60mph so I’ll definitely be looking into adding a windscreen/shield. Does anyone know if the windshield will attach with the headlight cowl on it or will I need to remove that? Also, any other accessories you all suggest?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If you are going to ride year-round invest in the right gear. Yes, a good size windshield will make a big difference when it gets cooler. Just how cool you will see; I am not sure. 55 degrees can be quite cold on a bike at 60mph for 45 minutes. I often wore warm gear (even heated gear) in the morning and cooler gear after work in the afternoon. I had throw over bags to carry the not-worn-home gear. Since you are commuting you might want to think about high visibility gear or vest. You are new to riding so it could help you. I never wore protective gear when I started riding in 1963. Now I always wear it.

I don't commute anymore because I retired but still ride quite a bit but mostly mountain roads. I ride on cold clear winter days like 45-50 degrees. You need to have winter and summer gloves, Boots too. I found a great 200-dollar winter pair of pants on Craigs List 4 years ago for 40.00. They work really nice and have lasted well. If you take care of your gear, it will last easily 5 years or more so not too costly over time. I think my heated jacket liner is 8 years old now. I originally invested in leather jacket and leather over pants. They work well but are quite heavy compared to fabric with armor readily available now.

Reactions: dtigue

·
Registered
605 Posts
agreed with above, added to, I never found leather to be warm enough without a liner or layers under so get it big enough to cover layers. also leather and rain sometimes don't mix, (I'm in Florida, we get enough rain to keep the gators and snakes squeaky clean) a backpack is a great way to transport unworn gear home in the afternoon and can be decorated with reflective tape to help with visibility ( I'll be so glad when florida gets rid of daylight savings time)

Reactions: dtigue

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS in blue
97 Posts
If you commute, get waterproof side cases that your work stuff fits in. I.e. make sure they're big enough for your paptop, or tools, or uniform... whatever you actually need for work. You won't regret it.

Also: think about lunch transport. Brown-bagging a sandwich is different than bringing beef stew. Make sure your lunch won't leak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello everyone! Just joined the forum after getting home from buying my first bike, a 2021 Honda Rebel 500! I’m super psyched about it. The dealership I got it from still has to do the service maintenance on it so I’ll be picking it up on Saturday and driving it 2 1/2 hours home. I took the MSF course a few weeks ago and am ready to start riding my bike to work daily year round. The previous owner only put 3400 miles on it and added the Honda headlight cowl, a Vance and Hines muffler, and Red Dragon forward position pegs. My daily commute is a 45 minute drive at about 60mph so I’ll definitely be looking into adding a windscreen/shield. Does anyone know if the windshield will attach with the headlight cowl on it or will I need to remove that? Also, any other accessories you all suggest?
Check out LifeofBirch on YouTube. He reviewed an awesome quick swap windscreen. I can't remember the name as I'll probably never need a windscreen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. A little extra info, I’ll be commuting in the northern part of central Alabama. I’ve watched a lot of LifeofBirch on YouTube, but I guess I missed that episode, I’ll look for it. I’ll post some pictures in the next few days so you all can tell me if I made a decent purchase or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. A little extra info, I’ll be commuting in the northern part of central Alabama. I’ve watched a lot of LifeofBirch on YouTube, but I guess I missed that episode, I’ll look for it. I’ll post some pictures in the next few days so you all can tell me if I made a decent purchase or not.
His was on the 1100, the batwing was his fave as highway riding wasn't his goal with it, but they make a 15" and 19" windscreen other than the small batwing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts