Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the first manual transmission Rebel 1100 in Savannah, Ga. last week.
So far the Rebel is super easy to ride, more power than a sane man needs, and a great value in my books.
The manual transmission is effortless to shift which is good as I passed up the DCT as I am not ready
for an automatic.
Pic is after the first bath due to the terrible pollen we are having this year. 100 miles as of the picture.
I am 68, been riding since 1979 and am back again after a 40 year break due to kids and work.

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
715 Posts
Great place to land after a long break. (I did similar)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First fill-up saw 48.5 mpg calculated assuming dealer topped off like I did. I’m still riding <4500 rpm doing break in as suggested.

·
Registered
910 Posts
First fill-up saw 48.5 mpg calculated assuming dealer topped off like I did. I’m still riding <4500 rpm doing break in as suggested.
I got almost the same. 114 miles and 2.4 gallons = 47.5mpg and I'm not sticking to <4500 all of the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got almost the same. 114 miles and 2.4 gallons = 47.5mpg and I'm not sticking to <4500 all of the time.
Mine wasn’t quite as good. :oops:
106.5 miles, took 2.95 gallons. Comes out to 36 mpg, which would be the absolute worst mileage I’ve ever gotten on any bike I’ve owned, and that includes a couple of 1800’s and a bunch more that were bigger and heavier than this one. It’s been in standard mode and pretty much babied the whole time. Not too concerned, cos I figure maybe the dealer didn’t top it off all the way. Otherwise, I’m looking at 120 miles max between fillups, which would not make me happy. Next tankful will be more telling.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm worried that mine is close to 35 mpg, but haven't been tracking so well. I'm curious if the estimates on the display have been close to your real world mileage?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm worried that mine is close to 35 mpg, but haven't been tracking so well. I'm curious if the estimates on the display have been close to your real world mileage?
I will keep better track of that now that there is a line in the sand. I am varying the rpms and mph a lot to follow the break in routine for at least 200 more miles.

·
Registered
910 Posts
106.5 miles, took 2.95 gallons. Comes out to 36 mpg, which would be the absolute worst mileage I’ve ever gotten on any bike I’ve owned, and that includes a couple of 1800’s and a bunch more that were bigger and heavier than this one. It’s been in standard mode and pretty much babied the whole time. Not too concerned, cos I figure maybe the dealer didn’t top it off all the way. Otherwise, I’m looking at 120 miles max between fillups, which would not make me happy. Next tankful will be more telling.
That's pretty bad but not as bad as my Suzuki C90 - low 30's so had to fill up every 80-90 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
[QUOTE = "Belmoresr, publicación: 160266, miembro: 12004"]
Compré la primera Rebel 1100 de transmisión manual en Savannah, Georgia, la semana pasada.
Hasta ahora, el Rebel es súper fácil de manejar, más potencia de la que necesita un hombre cuerdo y un gran valor en mis libros.
La transmisión manual se cambia sin esfuerzo, lo cual es bueno, ya que pasé el DCT porque no estoy listo
para una automática.
Pic es después del primer baño debido al terrible polen que estamos teniendo este año. 100 millas a partir de la imagen.
Tengo 68 años, he estado montando desde 1979 y estoy de regreso después de un descanso de 40 años debido a los niños y al trabajo.
View attachment 33775
[/CITA]
I bought the first manual transmission Rebel 1100 in Savannah, Ga. last week.
So far the Rebel is super easy to ride, more power than a sane man needs, and a great value in my books.
The manual transmission is effortless to shift which is good as I passed up the DCT as I am not ready
for an automatic.
Pic is after the first bath due to the terrible pollen we are having this year. 100 miles as of the picture.
I am 68, been riding since 1979 and am back again after a 40 year break due to kids and work.
View attachment 33775
What a beautiful machine! Congratulations a lot of health and head to enjoy it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well THAT'S mildly depressing, my Focus cager gets 41mpg and my Reb500 about 74mpg, guess it makes sense though, double the motor, double the fuel sloshing through it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok, so this is more like it. This was my first fillup since I topped it off myself. 1st bar on the fuel gauge didn’t start flashing until 134 miles (it was 89 miles the last time). Gassed up at 140.4 and it took exactly 2.6 gallons — for a sweeet 54 mpg. I didn’t hammer it, but I didn’t exactly baby it, either. No highway, no city, just mostly back roads through the ‘burbs. Oh, and about 25 miles or so were accidentally in rain mode. But it’s really what most of my riding is, so if I end up averaging 50-ish mpg, I’ll be very happy with that.

As for the accidental rain mode, I was flipping through the display before I headed out trying to find the main odometer (I keep it on Trip A), and somehow I unknowingly set it to rain mode. I noticed that it felt a little sluggish on hills, then looked down to see my faux pas. Changed it back to standard the first chance I had to pull over, and all was right in the universe again. Gonna keep it in standard til the first oil change, then try sport just to see how it behaves. Then if there’s anything I want to change, I’ll set up a user mode. But so far standard mode already delivers everything I could want and more. This bike is such a dream to ride.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So it wasn’t a fluke - next tankful, 2.678 gallons at 147 miles = 54.89 mpg. And I’ve been decidedly less easy on it since the last fillup. I’m liking this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, 220 miles today, primarily on 2 lane back roads, averaged 50+ mph.
fill up at 80 miles, 1.23 gallons = 65 mpg.
next fill up at 66.6 showed much better than that but speed was down to 45 mph.
both fill ups were to the top of the filler neck.
more to come..... it’s obvious that <60 mph nets great mileage.
rebel 1100 ran like a top. Got home 15 minutes before rain started.
great day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts