Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day has finally come; I got the Mussari exhaust in the mail! My impressions so far on my 500-

Fitment/installation: It's almost concerning how the exhaust doesn't sit square or all that deep with the mid pipe. I was a few cranks in with the hose clamp provided and it snapped. Luckily I was able to use the stock clamp after a little modification. The stock clamp has a little "tooth" that comes down and it was easily straitened with a pair of pliers to fit just fine. The exhaust leaks water from the gasket while sitting due to the poor alignment. Not the end of the world, just a little janky looking.

Sound:
DB killer in- Sounds great!! The sound is comparable to stock with a little more "oomph" to it. There's a little more life in the motorcycle when riding around and its perfect for sound sensitive neighbors. The exhaust has a wonderful thump to it at idle.

DB killer out- To preface this I'm an insecure 22 year old male so personally I like loud(er) exhausts. When taking the baffle out I had to give it a few good heave-ho's. But oooooooh IT'S NICE. IT'S REALLY NICE. IT'S MEAN TOO. YOU'LL NEED EAR PLUGS BUT IT'S OKAY IT'S WORTH IT. I'm still giggling at how nice it sounds. It thumps and burbles at idle and when you're putting around it has a wonderful growl to it. When you get on the gas it barks like no other and not in a yappy Chihuahua way but a Great Dane type way. God its loud but its a GOOD kind of loud and has a delicious throatiness to it. It sounds so nice that it made me forget it fits like sh*t!
Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 4.14.48 PM.png

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 500
19 Posts
The day has finally come; I got the Mussari exhaust in the mail! My impressions so far on my 500-

Fitment/installation: It's almost concerning how the exhaust doesn't sit square or all that deep with the mid pipe. I was a few cranks in with the hose clamp provided and it snapped. Luckily I was able to use the stock clamp after a little modification. The stock clamp has a little "tooth" that comes down and it was easily straitened with a pair of pliers to fit just fine. The exhaust leaks water from the gasket while sitting due to the poor alignment. Not the end of the world, just a little janky looking.

Sound:
DB killer in- Sounds great!! The sound is comparable to stock with a little more "oomph" to it. There's a little more life in the motorcycle when riding around and its perfect for sound sensitive neighbors. The exhaust has a wonderful thump to it at idle.

DB killer out- To preface this I'm an insecure 22 year old male so personally I like loud(er) exhausts. When taking the baffle out I had to give it a few good heave-ho's. But oooooooh IT'S NICE. IT'S REALLY NICE. IT'S MEAN TOO. YOU'LL NEED EAR PLUGS BUT IT'S OKAY IT'S WORTH IT. I'm still giggling at how nice it sounds. It thumps and burbles at idle and when you're putting around it has a wonderful growl to it. When you get on the gas it barks like no other and not in a yappy Chihuahua way but a Great Dane type way. God its loud but its a GOOD kind of loud and has a delicious throatiness to it. It sounds so nice that it made me forget it fits like sh*t!
View attachment 31643
Hello Max,
I also noticed water drip from the gasket. It is something I need to worry about. How did you fix that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Max,
I also noticed water drip from the gasket. It is something I need to worry about. How did you fix that.
Not something to worry about, but definitely worth fixing if possible. Mine did that for a bit before adjusting it. I can’t say for sure but a constant drip like that could possibly corrode the exhaust pipe. Water is produced normally from vehicle exhaust so it’s just highlighting that there’s a gap somewhere in the clamp. Depending on what side of the clamp the water is from, try moving the clamp VERY slightly to that direction and it’ll hopefully close the gap. Also be sure that the clamp is fully tightened! I’d adjust the clamp, let the motorcycle idle and rev the engine a few times, then adjust as needed from there. Make sure the teeth from the old clamp were totally straightened out as well!

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 500
19 Posts
Not something to worry about, but definitely worth fixing if possible. Mine did that for a bit before adjusting it. I can’t say for sure but a constant drip like that could possibly corrode the exhaust pipe. Water is produced normally from vehicle exhaust so it’s just highlighting that there’s a gap somewhere in the clamp. Depending on what side of the clamp the water is from, try moving the clamp VERY slightly to that direction and it’ll hopefully close the gap. Also be sure that the clamp is fully tightened! I’d adjust the clamp, let the motorcycle idle and rev the engine a few times, then adjust as needed from there. Make sure the teeth from the old clamp were totally straightened out as well!
Will try. thanks again.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hello Max,
goes back to the same problem you had with getting a tight fit...be sure you replaced the OEM gasket with the one Musarri included and it will seal up any exhaust and moisture leaks at the joint

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 500
19 Posts
goes back to the same problem you had with getting a tight fit...be sure you replaced the OEM gasket with the one Musarri included and it will seal up any exhaust and moisture leaks at the joint
I will try to put on the original gasket, but it is kind of glued in the stock pipe. Not sure how to remove it. Any advise.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I will try to put on the original gasket, but it is kind of glued in the stock pipe. Not sure how to remove it. Any advise.
You don't want to use the original gasket.

re-read Kenny G's post in particular the 3rd and 4th paragraph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts