Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 500
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the factory Dunlops with Michelin Commander III's. The Dunlop front was fine but the rear had a very obvious flat spot and was down to 1mm of tread left. I'd put 6400 miles on and I'm convinced that the rear was out of alignment for some time and that it contributed to the wear.

LOVE them! Taking mid-speed corners (45-60 MPH) now feels like I'm going 15 MPH slower. They truly do inspire more confidence.

Not sure how to describe the ride though. It's like they are stiffer so you feel slightly more road vibration, but at the same time are softer when you hit bumps as they transmit less to the bike. Very apparent on the 1.5" end of my driveway returning home.

I mounted them myself after watching too many videos showing how easy it is. It's just shy of making my "never do that again list." Especially the rear. That was a bear to get off and on but I did it with Motion Pro spoons. For balancing I went with Dyna Beads and have to say they work amazingly well. No wheel weights and no balancing. I just put a 2 ounce bag of the micro ceramic beads in each tire while mounting them and they dynamically balance while riding. On smooth concrete roads it is amazing how well they are balanced. Like riding on glass.

Making me fall in love with the bike all over again.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
165 Posts
I have had great luck with Michelin Commander II's over a lot of years in fact was pretty a much a guinea pig for them in my area anyway .. Dealership and Local Indy must have called me a dozen times and asked about them on my FXR4.. Is the only rear tire make that ever got over 20,000 miles on and even when changed them they were far from bald, best part the grip was surprising for the length of mileage got on the wear .. Will keep the Commander III's in mind when it's time.. Don't really have any complaints about the OEM tires at this time but only have a bit over 2,000 miles on it ..

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 500
632 Posts
Don't really have any complaints about the OEM tires at this time but only have a bit over 2,000 miles on it ..
I have only 1900 miles on my OEM tyres. I cannot complain. I do not ride enough to wear the tread off. I will end up replacing them once they are four years old simply because the rubber will be aged. I have read that using tyre spray is pointless. Funny how in the USAF we were required to apply that stuff to the truck tyres every week.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
165 Posts
Just replaced the factory Dunlops with Michelin Commander III's. The Dunlop front was fine but the rear had a very obvious flat spot and was down to 1mm of tread left. I'd put 6400 miles on and I'm convinced that the rear was out of alignment for some time and that it contributed to the wear.

LOVE them! Taking mid-speed corners (45-60 MPH) now feels like I'm going 15 MPH slower. They truly do inspire more confidence.

Not sure how to describe the ride though. It's like they are stiffer so you feel slightly more road vibration, but at the same time are softer when you hit bumps as they transmit less to the bike. Very apparent on the 1.5" end of my driveway returning home.

I mounted them myself after watching too many videos showing how easy it is. It's just shy of making my "never do that again list." Especially the rear. That was a bear to get off and on but I did it with Motion Pro spoons. For balancing I went with Dyna Beads and have to say they work amazingly well. No wheel weights and no balancing. I just put a 2 ounce bag of the micro ceramic beads in each tire while mounting them and they dynamically balance while riding. On smooth concrete roads it is amazing how well they are balanced. Like riding on glass.

Making me fall in love with the bike all over again.
Was in for 8,000 Mile Service and a Service Clerk as I call them, not really up on Wrenching on even parts without looking it up .. Long Story short, they found a bad spot on my OEM tire.. Noticed that she had marked my front for a Radial as they had plenty in stock ( Front Tire Goldwing size) and told her I need a bias tire .. She looked like the air went out of her balloon .. Only Front tire they had was a Michelin Commander III and got it for the OEM Dunlop 428 price .. :) Was an 80 mile trip home and just the difference in handling on the Front had me order a Rear Mich Com III should be here this week .. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Was in for 8,000 Mile Service and a Service Clerk as I call them, not really up on Wrenching on even parts without looking it up .. Long Story short, they found a bad spot on my OEM tire.. Noticed that she had marked my front for a Radial as they had plenty in stock ( Front Tire Goldwing size) and told her I need a bias tire .. She looked like the air went out of her balloon .. Only Front tire they had was a Michelin Commander III and got it for the OEM Dunlop 428 price .. :) Was an 80 mile trip home and just the difference in handling on the Front had me order a Mich Com III should be here this week .. :)
I use the same tires on my Sportster and will use them on my Rebel 1100 when I wear out the Dunlops.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
165 Posts
I use the same tires on my Sportster and will use them on my Rebel 1100 when I wear out the Dunlops.
I had them them on my 2005 Dyna Super Glide as well ( Same Size Tires as Sportster ) They were Excellent .. Installing the Rear Commander III's Tomorrow ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts