Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm SKoski. I've had my Rebel 1100 DCT since March. I love the bike. I bought my first motorcycle at 71, a 2007 Suzuki Boulevard S50. I'm looking for recommendations about windshields, handlebar risers, seats and mufflers.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome to the Forum SKorski. You have had your 1100 DCT much longer than me (June 3rd). Lots of posts on this forum for all those things you are looking to change. Just take your time finding them and reading. Search at top of page can help finding them.

Still most riders are finding suppliers are slow with new models to make things for. It is frustrating.

I have a friend who just bought a Suzuki Boulevard S50 with 8k miles. Looks big to me. He likes it. I bought my 1100 DCT at 72 and I love it too.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Welcome. There are only 2 major manufacturers making seats - Corbin and Mustang. The Corbin Gunfighter and the Dual Tour are custom made to your color specs. The Mustang seat is not custom and has had a design problem latching with the Rebel 1100 mechanism. All of those Mustang seats already made have to be sent back to Mustang to be repaired.

HOME - Corbin Motorcycle Saddles

Someone else will chime in on your other requests.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. There are only 2 major manufacturers making seats - Corbin and Mustang. The Corbin Gunfighter and the Dual Tour are custom made to your color specs. The Mustang seat is not custom and has had a design problem latching with the Rebel 1100 mechanism. All of those Mustang seats already made have to be sent back to Mustang to be repaired.

HOME - Corbin Motorcycle Saddles

Someone else will chime in on your other requests.
I don't like the look of the Corbin seat. I don't plan to put a passenger perch on my bike. The corbin seat looks comfortable but clunky. Good to know about the Mustang seats.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't like the look of the Corbin seat. I don't plan to put a passenger perch on my bike. The corbin seat looks comfortable but clunky. Good to know about the Mustang seats.
I don’t like the Corbin either. Mustang seats are great so I’m waiting on them sorting the latch issue and I’ll push the button

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
welcome! enjoy the bike and the forum

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT Spyder F3-S
201 Posts
for the Mustang, its a great seat, much more comfortable on my butt... but wouldn't latch. I sent it back to them, and they received it Monday. They said getting the right parts, fixed and sent back expect it in 2 to 4 weeks. I am guessing it might be faster since when I ordered it they said it would be 8 to 12 weeks, and they got it here in 4.

·
Registered
131 Posts
SKoski, another old timer here, (72 next month) I picked my Rebel up in June, I traded in my Harley bagger that I had ridden for 17 years Great Bike but the 900 lbs weight was becoming an issue with me and I decided to move to a lighter mount . I installed the Speed Seven handlebar risers on mine, they advertise 1.5 inches up and 1.5 inches back, That is not exactly true 1.5 up yes, but the move closer to the rear is only .5 inch. There isn't a lot of slack in the cables or wiring so with out replacing or rerouting wiring the 1.5 up seems about it. I also built and installed re-locator plates that lowered the foot pegs / brake/ shifter assemblies down 1 inch and forward 1 inch. I found a windshield that I like from Mephis Shades, It is The Rio Grande Sport shield. It is the tallest and widest of their sport shield line up. ( I can always cut one down but haven't figured out how to cut one larger). I decided to make my own mounting brackets and am waiting for the fork tube clamps to arrive from Thailand. Hindsight being 20/20 if I had it to do over I would just order their mounting brackets for a rebel 500, as a couple of people on the forum have reported that they work well in the 1100. I spoke with National Cycle and was told that their windshield for the 1100 is in development, and should be available near the end of September.
As for exhaust I'm waiting for one of the manufacturers to come up with a horizontal exhaust that will allow the use of a larger bag on the right side.
I have also sent emails to Viking bags with pictures of their bags fitted to the Honda 1100, and asking them to develope the mounting hardware. I did get a response back that they had passed the info along to their product development dept.

·
Registered
Rebel 1100 DCT Spyder F3-S
201 Posts
SKoski, another old timer here, (72 next month) I picked my Rebel up in June, I traded in my Harley bagger that I had ridden for 17 years Great Bike but the 900 lbs weight was becoming an issue with me and I decided to move to a lighter mount . I installed the Speed Seven handlebar risers on mine, they advertise 1.5 inches up and 1.5 inches back, That is not exactly true 1.5 up yes, but the move closer to the rear is only .5 inch. There isn't a lot of slack in the cables or wiring so with out replacing or rerouting wiring the 1.5 up seems about it. I also built and installed re-locator plates that lowered the foot pegs / brake/ shifter assemblies down 1 inch and forward 1 inch. I found a windshield that I like from Mephis Shades, It is The Rio Grande Sport shield. It is the tallest and widest of their sport shield line up. ( I can always cut one down but haven't figured out how to cut one larger). I decided to make my own mounting brackets and am waiting for the fork tube clamps to arrive from Thailand. Hindsight being 20/20 if I had it to do over I would just order their mounting brackets for a rebel 500, as a couple of people on the forum have reported that they work well in the 1100. I spoke with National Cycle and was told that their windshield for the 1100 is in development, and should be available near the end of September.
As for exhaust I'm waiting for one of the manufacturers to come up with a horizontal exhaust that will allow the use of a larger bag on the right side.
I have also sent emails to Viking bags with pictures of their bags fitted to the Honda 1100, and asking them to develope the mounting hardware. I did get a response back that they had passed the info along to their product development dept.
yes, the rebel 500 Memphis Shades fork mounts work fine. They are actually made for a few different sizes, not specifically only for the 500, so they fit any fork tube that is close.

If you want to mount Viking bag, I can try to explain how I did it... the main issue is the front fender hole is too far forward for the bags I wanted, so I made a metal plate to mount that had a hole further back to bolt to... so the rear most bolt goes through the bag, the viking mount, the extra metal plate, a half inch spacer, and the fender like normal, but the front, only the extra metal plate and spacer to bolt into the front hole, and the bolt through the bag and viking mount only bolts to the extra plate. It just effectively moves the front hole back about an inch. Well... the spacers holding it out also moves the whole saddlebag out from the fender about half an inch, which was needed to clear the shocks (and give room to tighten the bolt down). Only tools I used was a drill, Dremel, a vise, and wrenches and spare parts I had laying around. The metal plate is actually just a melding plate. The fenders use M8 1.25 bolts... I had to go find some of those to buy in close enough lengths, and cut them to size.
you can kind of see what it looks like in the picture...
Its all just black in the picture because I sprayed some undercoating on it to make it black and help prevent any rust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts