Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, finally decided to make an account and post my Rebel 500.
Just a bit of a preface for my bike it's pretty heavily modded so if you have any questions let me know.

The bike is a 2018 Rebel 500 ABS and I have had it for about a year and a half and love it, while sometimes while riding with my friends (one has a 1300cc Harley and one rides a CBR1000) I do wish it was a bit faster but we generally cruze at about 75 on the highway or we ride a bunch or windey surface streets so it doesn't come up that often, overall its a pretty good bike that I have been able to make my own.

PS in the pictures 2 of the pics oversaturated and made the lights look blue, the 3rd lit picture is more true to life with the purple.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to add some pictures of the headlight and aux lights in action so here they are.

Pic 1- I park on the back porch so to minimize light at night I installed a bypass so not have the always on headlight on; So pictured here is the driving lights of the headlight and the aux lights.

Pic 2-Aux lights (always on) and headlight on.

Pic 3-Normal headlight with turn signal (turn signal on headlight is much more visible in person.

Pic 4-High Beams, Aux lights also fully light up to add more light.

Pic 5-More of a full pic with the lights.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered one headlight similar to yours, can you teach me how to by pass and only have the day time running light on? What parts do I need to by? Will you have a extra switch to turn on the headlight low beam then? Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I ordered one headlight similar to yours, can you teach me how to by pass and only have the day time running light on? What parts do I need to by? Will you have a extra switch to turn on the headlight low beam then? Thank you
It's actually pretty simple but you always have the possibility of damaging things so do at your own risk, plus it could be illegal to run the bike without the headlight on where you live so your mileage may vary.

PS this assumes you have a separate wire for driving lights, this dose not account for any other headlight specific features those will have to be hooked up separately, in addition some (but very few) headlights have driving lights as part of the low/high beams without separate control, if yours is like this then this will also disable those.

Please excuse the paint drawing but it was the best I can do ATM, your going to want to get a h4 wire extension similar to the one HERE and cut the middle wire, that is the low beam wire, you then put a 5 pin relay kinda like the ones found HERE (I recommend getting the ones with the wire harness makes things simpler)
the side of the wire from the bike should go to the post labeled 30 and the side of the wire going to the headlight should go to the middle post the one labeled 87A.

As a side note if you wanted anything to specifically turn on when the low beams were off you could connect those to post 87 but they can't draw more power than the low beams.

You want to ground post 86 somewhere this can be anywhere but tapping into the ground from the headlight should work it should be easy it's usually a black wire but you need to double check.

And the last wire you need is from a switch to control it you connect the wire from the switch to post 85, that switch can get it's power from anywhere but just going to the battery is generally simpler.

With this setup your lows are on by default unless you hit the "bypass switch" which means your relay is only drawing power when you bypass, this also enables you to control something else to turn on when the lows are off and if you turn on the high beams or passing lights it will "override" the bypass and turn the high beams on.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for the info, I will receive my headlight and other parts in December, although I dont know half what you just told me. LOL, but I will give it a try, your instructions are very detailed I should be able to get this work. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts