Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all.

New to the forum, and a new rider as well... love the look of these new Rebels, so I'll be picking one up as my first bike... just not sure which one to get yet.

I have a minibike I've been riding since last fall, and I took the MSF 20 hour basic riding course last weekend, which I did very well in... just waiting for the completion card to come so I can go get my "M" endorsement on my license.

Some would recommend starting with the smaller bike, then moving up... but with these bikes being brand new, there's not really any deals to be had... so trading up from a 300 to a 500 is almost guaranteed to lose money.

And in the grand scheme of things, it's not like the 500 is a powerhouse crotch rocket... it's still a small cruiser.

Basically, I'm trying to convince myself that starting with the 500 is ok lol.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hey, all.

New to the forum, and a new rider as well... love the look of these new Rebels, so I'll be picking one up as my first bike... just not sure which one to get yet.

I have a minibike I've been riding since last fall, and I took the MSF 20 hour basic riding course last weekend, which I did very well in... just waiting for the completion card to come so I can go get my "M" endorsement on my license.

Some would recommend starting with the smaller bike, then moving up... but with these bikes being brand new, there's not really any deals to be had... so trading up from a 300 to a 500 is almost guaranteed to lose money.

And in the grand scheme of things, it's not like the 500 is a powerhouse crotch rocket... it's still a small cruiser.

Basically, I'm trying to convince myself that starting with the 500 is ok lol.
The 500 would be fine for a starter bike. It has around the same power as other 300cc motorcycles like the ninja 300.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have seen people start with CBR600's and that would be considered an extreme start. Going with a 500 cruiser is not nearly as bad, just make sure you don't get too confident too soon as that can have bad consequences, seen that play out for myself multiple times ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I can probably say that the 500 will be good for you no problem. Especially after finishing up the course, on a cruiser, you should be alright ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, and I think I've come to the same conclusion after reading many of the "first ride" reviews posted over the past few days... vibration issues with the single cylinder 300 over 45mph, lack of standby power if running highway speeds, better braking on the 500 with the extra weight, etc.

I'll be stopping by this afternoon to put a deposit on a new 500. My dealer called me this morning and said there's lots of interest in the new Rebels, and even though I'm first on the notification list, no one has yet put down a deposit on anything... so he recommended that I "cement" my place in line. ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Awesome, and I think I've come to the same conclusion after reading many of the "first ride" reviews posted over the past few days... vibration issues with the single cylinder 300 over 45mph, lack of standby power if running highway speeds, better braking on the 500 with the extra weight, etc.

I'll be stopping by this afternoon to put a deposit on a new 500. My dealer called me this morning and said there's lots of interest in the new Rebels, and even though I'm first on the notification list, no one has yet put down a deposit on anything... so he recommended that I "cement" my place in line. ;)
Wow, even more glad to have you on the forum then. What's the riding community like in Illinois? Do you think there will be a lot of these showing up on locals roads around you?

keep us posted on what your dealer says because a lot of us will be watching!

·
Registered
814 Posts

Yea I am suppose to go to my dealer tomorrow to put down a deposit. I want to see what kind of deal I get financing the Rebel 500. That will prob help me make my choice.
Did your dealer tell you when they would be available yet?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, even more glad to have you on the forum then. What's the riding community like in Illinois? Do you think there will be a lot of these showing up on locals roads around you?

keep us posted on what your dealer says because a lot of us will be watching!
I'm in the lower part of the state (St. Louis Metro area), and there's bikers everywhere, mostly big Harleys. Also quite a few motorcycle clubs around, though I don't have any intentions of joining any clubs. Not really sure about the prospective new Rebel population in the area... honestly, I'm not even sure where the nearest Honda dealer is... I'm buying mine from the local Harley dealer.

Yea I am suppose to go to my dealer tomorrow to put down a deposit. I want to see what kind of deal I get financing the Rebel 500. That will prob help me make my choice.
Did your dealer tell you when they would be available yet?
Every dealer I've talked to in the area that is going to be selling these is selling them at MSRP, strictly due to the fact that it's a brand new bike, and no one has them yet. As for availability, I was told this morning that their first shipment will be sometime after the middle of this month. They were supposed to have them early (like now), but he said there was a delay on Honda's end.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm in the lower part of the state (St. Louis Metro area), and there's bikers everywhere, mostly big Harleys. Also quite a few motorcycle clubs around, though I don't have any intentions of joining any clubs. Not really sure about the prospective new Rebel population in the area... honestly, I'm not even sure where the nearest Honda dealer is... I'm buying mine from the local Harley dealer.

Every dealer I've talked to in the area that is going to be selling these is selling them at MSRP, strictly due to the fact that it's a brand new bike, and no one has them yet. As for availability, I was told this morning that their first shipment will be sometime after the middle of this month. They were supposed to have them early (like now), but he said there was a delay on Honda's end.
By deal I mean what interest rate I would get on the loan. I know I won't really be able to save on MSRP.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stopped by to put down a deposit today, and was quoted somewhere between 1.9% and 3.9% (pending a credit check) if I choose to finance.

I'll probably just pay cash, though, to save the monthly payment and lower the insurance cost.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I stopped by to put down a deposit today, and was quoted somewhere between 1.9% and 3.9% (pending a credit check) if I choose to finance.

I'll probably just pay cash, though, to save the monthly payment and lower the insurance cost.
How much of a deposit did they ask you to put down?
Always interested in knowing this since some dealers charge double compared to others, probably correlated to projected sales volume being lower for them specifically.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much of a deposit did they ask you to put down?
Always interested in knowing this since some dealers charge double compared to others, probably correlated to projected sales volume being lower for them specifically.
Just $200 for the deposit.

Unless you meant a down payment for financing, in which case they didn't say... I just told them that I'd put down around $3K if I chose to go the financing route.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was gonna pay cash but if I can get 1.9% that's free money. The offer I saw is 3.49% for very well qualified borrowers. Or someone that doesn't need to borrow money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts