Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I broke down and bought the Diablo rear fender on eBay. This one has the integrated LED turn signal, running lights, and brake lights. It is ok, but I feel like it is a bit short. Evidence of this would be the little rocks sitting on top of it today after my 25 mile highway ride. All in all, I am quite satisfied with the look of it. Those LED's are bright AF. Disregard my completely stuffed shed, but it is the only place I can work on it without getting eaten alive by mosquitos these days on Long Island.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention one slight annoyance with it. The exposed wires that come pre-installed on it are ridiculously short. I ended up having to cut my existing harness wires way back to accommodate. Also, there is a plate under the seat that will no longer stay on without zip ties. This protects the electronics under the seat from dirt, dust and moisture, and used to attach to the rear fender with those push pins. Thankfully, there are holes in the new mounting bracket just for this reason (I think). I used some velcro and zip ties. 75 miles and it is still on with no issues. No flapping around either.

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
Forgot to mention one slight annoyance with it. The exposed wires that come pre-installed on it are ridiculously short. I ended up having to cut my existing harness wires way back to accommodate. Also, there is a plate under the seat that will no longer stay on without zip ties. This protects the electronics under the seat from dirt, dust and moisture, and used to attach to the rear fender with those push pins. Thankfully, there are holes in the new mounting bracket just for this reason (I think). I used some velcro and zip ties. 75 miles and it is still on with no issues. No flapping around either.
Your not alone on that one, but it’s all part of the fun tinkering

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have just received the same fender and I wish I read this post earlier, I am considering doing the install tomorrow and have noticed the cable is very short and the actual wires incredibly thin! I have checked out a couple of videos on the installation including the Zeed video where I bought it on eBay, the cable seemingly a lot longer in their video. Considering the cost of the fender I would expect half decent wire and at least being fit for purpose without having to make adjustments for the poor quality! I may just return it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
979 Posts
I have just received the same fender and I wish I read this post earlier, I am considering doing the install tomorrow and have noticed the cable is very short and the actual wires incredibly thin! I have checked out a couple of videos on the installation including the Zeed video where I bought it on eBay, the cable seemingly a lot longer in their video. Considering the cost of the fender I would expect half decent wire and at least being fit for purpose without having to make adjustments for the poor quality! I may just return it ...

The fender comes with one of those cheap Chinese LED strips stuck on with 3m tape and they all have the thin and short wires.
You could always order a better quality LED from amazon but not sure if the wires are any longer.

LED’s don’t need thick wires as there might be too much resistance for the current flow, but hey I’m no expert.
You can apply some heat shrink tubing to protect the thin wires from abrasion and the elements, I have done the same.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The fender comes with one of those cheap Chinese LED strips stuck on with 3m tape and they all have the thin and short wires.

You could always order a better quality LED from amazon but not sure if the wires are any longer.

LED’s don’t need thick wires as there might be too much resistance for the current flow, but hey I’m no expert.

You can apply some heat shrink tubing to protect the thin wires from abrasion and the elements, I have done the same.

Thanks Twizzian, I sent Zeed motorcycle parts a message yesterday on EBay, they replied with ... ‘they are willing to send me a spare part for the wires’. I have no idea what or how the spare part will help. It’s probably more thin cheap wire. I have asked them to send me a picture, so that will be interesting. I hope others read this post before they consider purchasing a Diablo rear fender for the Rebel 500... I don’t want to put junk on my bike, I am happy to pay money for decent parts. Why put cheap thin wire that doesn’t even reach the connecting wires to install the light. My point is don’t charge lots of my money and sell rubbish that people can’t use. Still undecided what to do though as I was so looking forward to putting on the new fender!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Twizzian, I sent Zeed motorcycle parts a message yesterday on EBay, they replied with ... ‘they are willing to send me a spare part for the wires’. I have no idea what or how the spare part will help. It’s probably more thin cheap wire. I have asked them to send me a picture, so that will be interesting. I hope others read this post before they consider purchasing a Diablo rear fender for the Rebel 500... I don’t want to put junk on my bike, I am happy to pay money for decent parts. Why put cheap thin wire that doesn’t even reach the connecting wires to install the light. My point is don’t charge lots of my money and sell rubbish that people can’t use. Still undecided what to do though as I was so looking forward to putting on the new fender!

I got it on and working, I am pleased with the look, the indicators are very discreet and not very visible, I think I will get a set of indicators and mount these separate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts