Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the International Motorcycle Show and I spoke to one of the guys in the Honda section to ask whether or not the upgrades they did on the 2020 Rebels' would work with older models, and he said no. He said it would take rewiring and much more effort to get them to work, especially if you wanted to upgrade to their new Speedo. He basically said all of the fittings are different now. I didn't ask about the seat being a direct replacement because I sat on it before talking to the guy (both the regular looking one and the diamond stitched one) and they are solid as a rock and felt far worse than our current seat. Definitely not worth it to buy the 2020 seat if you were thinking you'd just upgrade your seat for more comfort.

Also the right side of the engine seems to stick out even further. I noticed it hitting my ankle more when I sat on it at the motorcycle show so I took a picture to compare when I got home. Sure enough when I got home I went on mine and took a pic and it appears that the 2020 is bumped out like a half inch further. I don't know if it's the slightly different cover they have on the new one or what, but there you go. Obviously my picture at home doesn't exactly match the 2020 one so it may not be as bumped out as it looks in the pic but it definitely felt like it stuck out further. Make of it what you will. :p

1st pic is 2020, 2nd pic is 2017

·
Registered
121 Posts
You sure same engine? Different oil cap locations from the pics.
edit.
nvm. Maybe due to the slipper clutch, the 2020 has different crankcase design.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure same engine? Different oil cap locations from the pics.
edit.
nvm. Maybe due to the slipper clutch, the 2020 has different crankcase design.
I am about 95% sure it was a 500, but frankly I wasn't paying that much attention. I don't remember being able to see through a gaping hole under the gas tank so I'm fairly certain it was the 500. ;) However, even if this was a 300, that cover should not be hanging out further than my 500's. :LOL:

Also they moved the oil caps for the 2020's. Both the 300 and 500 are in front of the clutch cable now, not behind it. A good improvement in my eyes. Easier to get to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the diamond stitched seat is just a cover. the woman on the promo videos talked about it. kind of bummer but i still like the changes

·
Registered
121 Posts
Seems odd that they wouldn't make it an easy upgrade to replace the old headlight with the new LED headlight. Same with the turn signals and brick on the back.
I maybe alone in this but I like how the turn signal and brick on my rebel. Looks old school . Goes well with the looks in going at. I just want the cover lol 😝

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, I had to bend my own brake pedal on my 2018 Rebel 500 otherwise my boot was constantly pressing the bloody thing while riding. Its a bugger of a shape for riding.
I adjusted my brake lever height (lowered it)...as my boot was doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got back from the International Motorcycle Show and I spoke to one of the guys in the Honda section to ask whether or not the upgrades they did on the 2020 Rebels' would work with older models, and he said no. He said it would take rewiring and much more effort to get them to work, especially if you wanted to upgrade to their new Speedo. He basically said all of the fittings are different now. I didn't ask about the seat being a direct replacement because I sat on it before talking to the guy (both the regular looking one and the diamond stitched one) and they are solid as a rock and felt far worse than our current seat. Definitely not worth it to buy the 2020 seat if you were thinking you'd just upgrade your seat for more comfort.

Also the right side of the engine seems to stick out even further. I noticed it hitting my ankle more when I sat on it at the motorcycle show so I took a picture to compare when I got home. Sure enough when I got home I went on mine and took a pic and it appears that the 2020 is bumped out like a half inch further. I don't know if it's the slightly different cover they have on the new one or what, but there you go. Obviously my picture at home doesn't exactly match the 2020 one so it may not be as bumped out as it looks in the pic but it definitely felt like it stuck out further. Make of it what you will. :p

1st pic is 2020, 2nd pic is 2017
View attachment 31319 View attachment 31320
Did they give you any idea what the Accessories for the 2020 500 will be and costs? I don't see it on their site yet. Not sure if that was like that last year?Maybe everything they had last year plus the upgraded seat? No increase in base cost so maybe accessories will be spendy?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did they give you any idea what the Accessories for the 2020 500 will be and costs? I don't see it on their site yet. Not sure if that was like that last year?Maybe everything they had last year plus the upgraded seat? No increase in base cost so maybe accessories will be spendy?
They did not, unfortunately. They seemed more focused on wanting to sell bikes as a whole. I was rather disappointed with the Honda booth. Every other bike maker there had parts lists/books you could grab, displays of what parts you could add to the bike and information about parts that fit, etc and the Honda booth had nothing. Literally no hand out. They had only their bikes and then a digital display with a small blurb about the bike.

But Babbitts already has the parts and prices from the looks of it: https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/l/hon/5e3d9c7887a8660b08a1d858/2020-cmx500-ac-parts ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
They did not, unfortunately. They seemed more focused on wanting to sell bikes as a whole. I was rather disappointed with the Honda booth. Every other bike maker there had parts lists/books you could grab, displays of what parts you could add to the bike and information about parts that fit, etc and the Honda booth had nothing. Literally no hand out. They had only their bikes and then a digital display with a small blurb about the bike.

But Babbitts already has the parts and prices from the looks of it: https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/l/hon/5e3d9c7887a8660b08a1d858/2020-cmx500-ac-parts ;)
Thank you! (y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts