Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been exclusively starting from a stop in second gear and never dropping down to 1st. A buddy at work said this could be hard on my clutch and eventually have to replace parts. Is this true or is it perfectly fine to start from second because 1st really only is good from 1-10 mph on this bike?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been exclusively starting from a stop in second gear and never dropping down to 1st. A buddy at work said this could be hard on my clutch and eventually have to replace parts. Is this true or is it perfectly fine to start from second because 1st really only is good from 1-10 mph on this bike?
your buddy probably right. if it has a first gear, you should use it when taking off. 2nd and even 3rd taking off you can do, but your killing the life of the clutch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
your buddy probably right. if it has a first gear, you should use it when taking off. 2nd and even 3rd taking off you can do, but your killing the life of the clutch.

I agree. Save your clutch, use first gear even just to get your bike rolling. :wink2:

·
Registered
221 Posts
The engine lugs a fair amount when you hit the gas going to slow in second. I find that real uncomfortable, least of all starting from a stop. It must take 1/4 mile before you have the clutch all the way out. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
That gear is there for a reason...
But by all means, if 2nd gear works for you, then go ahead. But don't be shocked the day you've ruined the clutch and/or your 2nd gear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's not as bad as doing it in a car. A car has a dry clutch which wears quickly with abuse. A motorcycle clutch is a wet clutch and is designed to be slipped a lot. With it being in a bath of oil, wear is minimal and shouldn't cause a massive issue.

·
Registered
527 Posts
On the contrary, ever since I swapped my stock exhaust for a slip on I shift from first gear at 20mph.
I think the stock muffler makes it sound like the engine is working harder than it really is. Shift points change dramatically once you can finally hear what's going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts