Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the ones who have replaced the stock tires. Are you happy with your choice, what do you ride, how's the wear on them, how many miles have you put on the new tires?

I have replaced the rear with a stock Dunlop at about 4000 miles, I'm pushing 7000 now and am looking at buying a whole set. I'm leaning real hard twards the Commander 2, but wanted a little more feed back.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stick,
I have Michelin Commander IIs installed on my 500 for about the past 6000 miles and I really like them.
Kenny G

·
Registered
366 Posts
For what its worth I put Pirelli MT 66 tires on at 10000 miles and now have now have 27750. So 18000 miles almost, I was pleased with the ride and wear. I am getting ready for new rubber probably this month but cant complain how these rode through the So Cal. heat and concrete.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh you opened the door again.

Each rider has his own seat of his pants feel for the tires on "his" bike.
And since we all ride differently the tread wear mileage will vary as well.

Let the posts fly as to which ones are best !!!!!! (eyes roll!)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the interest in the Commander 2s?
I'm dissatisfied with the stock tires rate of wear, and the Commander II seemed to be used by some early out of the gate. From what I'm reading, most are very happy with the life span and performance of the C2 tires. I'm open to other suggestions though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wore out the stock tires in 3500 miles, I'm running Shinko 777's now and I love the handling and smoothness. Don't know about tire life on the Rebel, but on heavier bikes that I've owned they did very well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For what its worth I put Pirelli MT 66 tires on at 10000 miles and now have now have 27750. So 18000 miles almost, I was pleased with the ride and wear. I am getting ready for new rubber probably this month but cant complain how these rode through the So Cal. heat and concrete.
Those Pirellis are on my bucket list too, especially when you encourage me with your mileage (and they appears to be especially good in wet?)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been on my Michelin Commander II's for a couple thousand miles. They're great. Firmer feel, solid on cornering, absorb bumps, dips and the highway grooves practically disappear. Since I've gotten them it's barely rained where I'm at and haven't tested them, but based on my experience I'm sure they'd be great like everyone else says.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had stock Dunlop’s and changed them at 10,000 miles. Now I have the Commander 2’s and it was night and day difference. Now a little passed 14k miles and the are still crazy amazing. I’ve taken the bike full lean, peg scrap and flex and still have about 3/4 of an inch of chicken strip left. I ride my 500 on the street like it’s a sports bike and hit the corners like I’m at the race track. I feel like spider man on these tires!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would like to replace the stock tires....and looks like the Michelin Commander IIs are the tires of choice. Did you stay with the OEM size or did you move to a bigger tire.

Any suggestions where to order Michelin Commander IIs? Thank you in advance for your advice. :smile2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had stock Dunlop’s and changed them at 10,000 miles. Now I have the Commander 2’s and it was night and day difference. Now a little passed 14k miles and the are still crazy amazing. I’ve taken the bike full lean, peg scrap and flex and still have about 3/4 of an inch of chicken strip left. I ride my 500 on the street like it’s a sports bike and hit the corners like I’m at the race track. I feel like spider man on these tires!

I'm still scared of leaning too far.
May I ask about how much you weigh, and how fast were you driving? And what is this "chicken strip" of which you speak? lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
May I ask about how much you weigh, and how fast were you driving? And what is this "chicken strip" of which you speak? lol
you can lean pretty **** far on the rebel but throttle control is super important, I can take a pretty good right turn at 35mph-40mph if everything else is right. Don't ever ride past your comfort limit though, but the rebel is a really easy to ride forgiving bike with those big tires. the chicken strip is the section of tire on the outer edges that still looks brand new.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yup, if you see front srubbed like this, your likely scrapped your pegs, at first little bit scary, but then, oh boy, pure joy>:) (but only to the left, right side have yet to happen:eek:)

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’m 190 lbs I was probably only going about 45mph around a turn that lasted more than 90 degrees. It was almost a full U kind of turn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts