Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not actually that bothered by the brick, I don't think the squareness of it goes with the rest of the bike which is all curves - but I only actually notice when someone points it out.

That said, its winter, I can't ride, I'm bored so I'm tinkering....

I've seen the various brick removal / mods and don't really like them, I don't want to do anything to the fender to shorten it (a short fender just doesn't work in the UK with it's weather) so I was looking for alternative round lamps.
My all time favourite is the Ford Model A tail lamp. It ticks all the boxes, retro, curved, two stage lamp (or LED) with number plate light.

The problem with it is that none of the ones for sale in the UK, US, ebay, china, you name it are E-marked. That's the equivalent of DoT and without it it's illegal to ride on UK roads. A relatively minor thing except I'm sure any insurer would use that to invalidate my insurance.
So I found an E-marked oval alternative. It's a two stage bulb (running light and brake) and it illuminates the number plate. It's not as nice as the 'A' but it definitely works.

Next I needed a custom bracket to mount it to the bike and a way to hide the wiring.
Hiding the wiring was resolved via Model A parts as there is a cable shield for that lamp that also fits the one I'm using.
The bracket I fabricated from 2mm sheet aluminium (I chose that as its easier to work than steel and won't corrode).
[The bracket will probably get painted black, it looks OK at the moment and I don't need to worry about rust].

Unfortunately the wiring to the stock bulb can't be disconnected so it has to be cut.
To join the bike wiring to the new lamp I used a mini IP44 rated waterproof junction box.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is it assembled and on the bike

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Super clean job man. Looks like what it should have come with stock, it's nothing radical but it looks clean and certainly matches better.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nice work, I have looked at the model A light in the past but like you the brick doesn’t really bother me. Seeing your bracket makes me want to revisit this. Maybe some time soon. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
270 Posts
“Hiding the wiring was resolved via Model A parts as there is a cable shield for that lamp that also fits the one I'm using. “

For Dispo. Your post is inspiring. I am looking into a similar mod but can’t find the cable shield. Can you point me in the right direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts