Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I do like the Rebel 500 and am very happy with my purchase here in Seattle, WA I do find some things quite annoying.

First of all, no tachometer. If you are used to riding without one like I am, it won't be a big deal. But if you do like one, and I do like one, it's kind of a bummer.

Which leads me to my second point, uh - no showing what gear you are in? Even my old Sonic I bought in Thailand showed what gear I am in!

Not all features on the engine are blacked out, a couple of things still have chrome on them, even the exhaust has a chrome tip when the rest is blacked out? Gonna need to fix that.

Can feel every single bump on the road. I only weigh 145lbs, but you know what? Maybe that's also a good thing.

Also, side pieces that are underneath the seat that are triangular and plastic are a little tacky and I feel can come off very easily. If they don't break first. Should have been done with metal / carbon fiber.

And only a 1 year warranty?!

Positives! 0:):smile2::laugh:

Overall though, I do love the bike! What an awesome amount of power for the price, and so relaxing to drive. Shifts like butter. Probably one of the easiest bikes I have ever ridden. Seeing as my bike is brand new, the brakes and tires are a little slippery - slipped a little on a speed turtle. However, boy when you get cranking on the gas you are in for an awesome experience!

I am very happy with my purchase, not the most thorough review but will do for now until more people post what they like / dislike.

I also ordered a rear seat - about $140 bucks. Will modify it later into a cafe racer style seat when I find one.

GET ONE!

Full coverage insurance was $170 a year.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for that review! To be completely honest, I completely missed that there was no tach on it. At least it tells you when your in neutral...? ;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Most of the stuff you pointed out was available information before the bike came out. And while I agree about some of it being annoying, I am hoping the pros outweigh the cons.

1. Out of all the bikes I have owned or ridden only one had a gear indicator. So that is really not a big deal to me.
2. I am little annoyed like you are about the bike not having a tach. While obviously you should be able to shift by sound and feel. Having a tach was always satisfying to me.
3. As far as feeling every bump, I am hoping that I can fix that on my Rebel shortly after I get it. I plan on upgrading the rear suspension sometime in may as long as I can find one that fits.
4. Slippery... always one of my biggest fears. Every time I got a tire change on a previous bike I babied it for about the first 100 miles or so. Even though there are people who sware that new tires are not slippery, they without a doubt are.
5. 1 year warranty is the norm for motorcycles.

So, you can actually fix problem 1, as they sell gear indicators. You can fix problem 3 with new suspension(semi-expensive) and possibly a better seat. Problem 4 hopefully isn't for long.

I hope you are enjoying the bike, I am still eagerly waiting for mine. It looks like the east coast is about a week or two behind.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pros by far out weigh the cons, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't enjoy the bike!! :) I can of course fix some of the stuff, but I''d like to have to and make it come stock. Ha ha. Save money!

·
Registered
814 Posts
The pros by far out weigh the cons, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't enjoy the bike!! :) I can of course fix some of the stuff, but I''d like to have to and make it come stock. Ha ha. Save money!
Can you possibly do me a favor. I am trying to modify a cover for the headlight. Can you possibly measure the outside headlight ring to tell me the diameter ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey I guess the lack of a gear indicator is a good thing, might be what some of us need for a more raw riding experience. Since it makes us pay more attention to the bike and take in all the little cues of feedback it give us.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can feel every single bump on the road. I only weigh 145lbs, but you know what? Maybe that's also a good thing.
Just throwing it out there, have you adjusted the pre-load on the rear shocks?

·
Registered
121 Posts
As I do a hard break-in, the absence of of a tachometer isn't horribly frustrating, but how are these newbies (and some of them are) avoiding lugging or over revving?

Does the speedometer have red-line shift points like the old Rebel speedos?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought two for my daughters. They love them, only complaint is they would like the handlebars an inch or two closer for a more relaxed ride. Hopefully the after market will respond if enough people share this need.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As I do a hard break-in, the absence of of a tachometer isn't horribly frustrating, but how are these newbies (and some of them are) avoiding lugging or over revving?

Does the speedometer have red-line shift points like the old Rebel speedos?
as it is totally digital, there's no line. Just the speed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm no tach???
Thats not cool.

Not a deal breaker for me (waiting for mine to land) but would have been good to know.

Anyone explore shift lights?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also hate that there is no tachometer. My Burgman is an CVT auto scooter and it has a tach. Knowing the RPM is used for more than just shifting. I also read a review that said the gauge was hard to read when the sun hit it at just the right angle. My plan is to replace the gauge unit with an aftermarket one, this one perhaps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The stock one has fuel.
So does this. Here is the Koso page - DL-03SR GP Style Multifunction - Koso North America

And a better picture {or pictures since it is a gif}

I found a copy of the instructions and it seems you cant have the tach and fuel up at the same time. One of the side buttons switches between the two. Of coarse how hard it would be to adapt this to the Rebel is unknown.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rain here in the northwest is so bad I haven't really had much time for any further review, I don't feel like driving around in freezing rain. I will wait 'til a sunny day so I can head off and get some mileage! I've only got 20 miles on the bike so far. :(

·
Registered
814 Posts
The rain here in the northwest is so bad I haven't really had much time for any further review, I don't feel like driving around in freezing rain. I will wait 'til a sunny day so I can head off and get some mileage! I've only got 20 miles on the bike so far. :(
Ughh I am pretty much in the same boat, I am supposed to pick up my bike friday. And when I checked weather it literally says rain every day for the next 10 days.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts