Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived today (a week early too) and its AWESOME. only had 1 hour ride today but have tomorrow off so plan on a long ride to get the feel of it and see what I think.
for anyone who has checked out the color chart on their site I went with; Black Bomber jacket (Front), Ghost gray (side), ghost gray (rear), no welt.

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Arrived today (a week early too) and its AWESOME. only had 1 hour ride today but have tomorrow off so plan on a long ride to get the feel of it and see what I think.
for anyone who has checked out the color chart on their site I went with; Black Bomber jacket (Front), Ghost gray (side), ghost gray (rear), no welt.
I see you have passenger pegs, what are you going to do about having a passenger on the bike if that is something you still plan on doing?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx Gary, i'm super excited about it :grin2:

Shorty- it's a non-issue at this point, i'm just leaving them on there, cause i installed with the Honda rear seat. So far there has been no passenger, and no plans for one in the future.. if that day comes, i'll let you know if/what happens LOL. I guess i'd give it a try and see if they could sit back there, and what it feels like. But since i've been riding the bike lately I feel like it's a "just me" thing

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
If the rest of the bike was white, then man, that would blend in nicely!

Still not loving the back part of the seat, but the thought of the comfort from the seat is slowly growing on me here.. Ugh, might just have to cave in some day.. :p

·
Registered
527 Posts
I like it, but it looks like there's three different shades of gray going on here, or is it the lighting?
Would really look slick if you matched the tank and side cover to the gray of the seat.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as i'm sure Gary and a few others have stated the comfort cannot be expressed enough. the seat isn't even "broken in" yet and I did 250 miles today and my butt didn't go numb at all!
also I don't know if i'm imagining this just cause i'm excited about the new seat, or it's for real-but after riding over some of the same roads/bumps that i normally have to hit around my area, i'd swear it seems softer (i.e.-i'm not feeling bumps as much, or being jolted off the seat)- and i haven't changed the suspension in over a month so that's the same. so is it the extra padding helping out?

$ Bill- yes it's technically 3 shades. the bike is listed as Matte silver, the paint i used on the side covers/radiator cover is called Matte Nickel, and Corbin calls the rear seat color Ghost Gray. i tried to pick the color that would closest match IMO. sure it's not 100%, but I love it!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
update-the seat is Amazing. Did 250 miles today , rode for the better part of 5-6 hours, and never felt like my butt was sore at all.

*just realized I said almost the same thing a month ago, but still true* :D
it literally is even better now. before i'd shift my weight once in a while if there was the slightest tingle, but that never happens anymore

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
update-the seat is Amazing. Did 250 miles today , rode for the better part of 5-6 hours, and never felt like my butt was sore at all.

*just realized I said almost the same thing a month ago, but still true* :D
it literally is even better now. before i'd shift my weight once in a while if there was the slightest tingle, but that never happens anymore
*sigh* For the sake of comfort it feels like I might have to bite the bullet and get this... Still not loving it a 100% though... :|
Since I've got two seats now, I'll get my original reupholstered and try that first. If that doesn't work out, then I might just get myself a corbin seat...

·
Registered
814 Posts

*just realized I said almost the same thing a month ago, but still true* /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
*sigh* For the sake of comfort it feels like I might have to bite the bullet and get this... Still not loving it a 100% though...

Since I've got two seats now, I'll get my original reupholstered and try that first. If that doesn't work out, then I might just get myself a corbin seat...
I know how you feel. Looking at seats available the Corbin is by far the highest quality. But it's massive and has no passenger seat. And they have not replied to me about making one with a passenger seat.

So im thinking about ordering one of the Thailand double seats and either putting new cushion in it myself,or taking it to a shop to have it re done. Because as long as i keep that base from it most shops can redo it. I think going that route will prob end up costing the same as the Corbin in the end.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Here's the thing. I decided to try a bunch of different options. I got a Corbin, had a seat custom made from the stock seat, got an AirHawk and a couple of days ago got a BeadRider seat (which I haven't had a chance to try out). While the Corbin is hands-down the most comfortable of those that I tried, what made the biggest difference so far is using the AirHawk as a back-rest on the Corbin. I folded the AirHawk in half and put it against the rise of the seat and it gives just that little bit of support but I guess it depends on where your discomfort is. For me it was my lower back.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I know how you feel. Looking at seats available the Corbin is by far the highest quality. But it's massive and has no passenger seat. And they have not replied to me about making one with a passenger seat.

So im thinking about ordering one of the Thailand double seats and either putting new cushion in it myself,or taking it to a shop to have it re done. Because as long as i keep that base from it most shops can redo it. I think going that route will prob end up costing the same as the Corbin in the end.
Yeah, the passenger seat is also an aspect. I don't often have others with me, but it does occur now and then.
I've been playing around with a though of "re-doing" the corbin seat, if I do decide to get one. They have said it them self, that the back part is just to give support to the higher arch of the seat, and thus they made it this way to sorta make it "flow" a bit better.. Could have done it way better if you ask me..
But anyhow, as far as reupholstering, I would strongly suggest that you do it with the stock seat, as the Thailand ones have taken "shortcuts" in their production. The places where the seat touch down on the Thailand made ones are solid plastic where as the stock seat have rubber mounts. It has some say in terms of comfort, and also on the paint on the fender for the passenger seat. I thought of moving over the rubber from the stock seat, but the Thailand seat is molded to the size that the rubber is, so it isn't space enough to add the rubber.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yeah, the passenger seat is also an aspect. I don't often have others with me, but it does occur now and then.
I've been playing around with a though of "re-doing" the corbin seat, if I do decide to get one. They have said it them self, that the back part is just to give support to the higher arch of the seat, and thus they made it this way to sorta make it "flow" a bit better.. Could have done it way better if you ask me..
But anyhow, as far as reupholstering, I would strongly suggest that you do it with the stock seat, as the Thailand ones have taken "shortcuts" in their production. The places where the seat touch down on the Thailand made ones are solid plastic where as the stock seat have rubber mounts. It has some say in terms of comfort, and also on the paint on the fender for the passenger seat. I thought of moving over the rubber from the stock seat, but the Thailand seat is molded to the size that the rubber is, so it isn't space enough to add the rubber.
I can't do it with the stock seat because I want the double seat. So I want it one piece. I think I can figure out a way to fix the seat as far as the rubber on the fender. But yea I do understand they are not of the same quality as the Corbin.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can't do it with the stock seat because I want the double seat. So I want it one piece. I think I can figure out a way to fix the seat as far as the rubber on the fender. But yea I do understand they are not of the same quality as the Corbin.
someone had this seat and said it was not very comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
update-the seat is Amazing. Did 250 miles today , rode for the better part of 5-6 hours, and never felt like my butt was sore at all. [...] before i'd shift my weight once in a while if there was the slightest tingle, but that never happens anymore

I had a similar experience on the stock seat during about 450 miles over last weekend. First long trip on my 500. Sore spot for me was just at the top of my hamhocks to the very lowest of my lower back. How does that compare to your experience?

I've found the stock seat fine for shorter hauls/commuting, but definitely not for hours of riding. At least not for me...

FYI if you're around the SF Bay Area, CA130 up and over Mt. Hamilton between San Jose and Patterson is a must ride, and very good for smaller bikes. Awful bumpy in spots, though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts