Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Baron Custom Accessories mini 2" tach is a nice unit but there was no place to fit it on the handlebars. I made a mount for it and wired it up. Not knowing if the Rebel was a single fire or dual fire ignition I wired it in a dual fire configuration...nice smooth needle operation but only read 1/2 rpm's. So I had to install the single fire adapter to get it to read correct rpm's. The needle bounced badly so called Baron Customs tech support and was told that this tach was a universal fit but would not work correctly on some bikes...I guess the Rebel is one of them. I asked if they had another adapter that would solve the problem...none at this time. So I packed up the tach and sent it back for a refund...too bad as it was a nice looking tach.

Shown mounted along with the Idea gear indicator.

Wiring was easy...taped into wires at the plug end of ECU.

Headlight grille

My homemade rack I made. (smaller one of the two I made)

Along with removing all the safety labels on the tank and swing arm I also took the one off the radiator cap.

The following pictures are of the Memphis Shades Big Shot quick detach windshield. My first thought was to only use it on long rides/trips but I like the way it fits and looks on the bike so will be leaving it on most of the time.

Shows the no tools required quick detach mechanism...just push the spring loaded latch and the windshield pops right off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put on the same windshield awhile back with the intention of only using it on longer highway rides. I have to say, I fell in love with it and haven’t taken it off once. It makes the ride so bloody comfortable sitting in the calm air pocket behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the rack. I don't have welding equipment but I should have talked to someone who does and gone that route. I have the Hepco & Becker Solorack which looks somewhat similar, but I don't like the fact that it bolts into the seat. Nice job!

I'll also toss out another recommendation for the Big Shot windshield. I have the same one -- well, the all-clear version -- and am very happy with it. I leave it off for the summer because: NJ humidity + NJ temperatures = Want Wind

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll also toss out another recommendation for the Big Shot windshield. I have the same one -- well, the all-clear version -- and am very happy with it. I leave it off for the summer because: NJ humidity + NJ temperatures = Want Wind
I feel you. My Piaggio had an enormous aftermarket windshield installed which was really nice for wind control and warmth in cold times but here in the south it was broiling in the hot days, which are most days. It even blocked the wind from your hands, and my hands would get so hot I would hang them out in the wind to try to cool them off.

Unfortunately when changing the front tires I let the bike tip over in my garage (dumb mistake trying to get stands under the double front hubs) and cracked the plastic shield against my lawn mower. Luckily for me there was no other damage done and the original owner had given me the original shorty windscreen that came with the bike.

Now it's like driving a whole new bike with the new (old) windshield. It is much cooler riding and imo a littler cooler looking. I'm sure I will miss it when it starts getting colder, but it's so much more fun to ride now, mostly due to the new tires.

Cheers!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the rack. I don't have welding equipment but I should have talked to someone who does and gone that route. I have the Hepco & Becker Solorack which looks somewhat similar, but I don't like the fact that it bolts into the seat. Nice job!

Welding and metal fabrication was something I learned in my early teens...growing up on a farm (and still farming) my dad taught me how to weld as there is always something to repair or make.

Here's a rack and engine guard I made for my 2019 Suzuki Van Van...I added a rail to the rack and need to get it refinished.

·
Registered
19 Posts
rws do you happen to remember what color wire you tapped into for the negative coil lead of your tach?

modmaster

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rws do you happen to remember what color wire you tapped into for the negative coil lead of your tach?

modmaster

I couldn't edit my post in time...if splicing into the coil wires at ECM plug end be aware there is a second Yellow/Blue wire.... don't use the A-19 one. A-3 and A-12 are the coil wires.

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
rws. Is there any trick to releasing the fuel line fitting when removing the gas tank? Thanks for all your help.

modmaster

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rws. Is there any trick to releasing the fuel line fitting when removing the gas tank? Thanks for all your help.

modmaster

I didn't disconnect the fuel line when I did mine...I unhooked all the other lines and electrical connector and laid the tank crosswise.

There is info in the Maintenance section on where to find and download a free factory shop manual for the Rebel 500 from Reddit/Google Docs...go get one...they are handy for working on this bike.

to relieve fuel line pressure disconnect fuel pump electrical connector and start engine and run till it quits

then push tab in and then down on fuel line quick disconnect

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks rws. That's great information as usual. As Columbo used to say, "Just one more thing." How did you go about tapping into the yellow-blue wire. With a wire splice fitting or what? As you can tell. Electricity and wiring are not my talents.

modmaster

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks rws. That's great information as usual. As Columbo used to say, "Just one more thing." How did you go about tapping into the yellow-blue wire. With a wire splice fitting or what? As you can tell. Electricity and wiring are not my talents.

modmaster

solder and heat shrink tubing

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

modmaster

so what tach did you install?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i just took my windshield off. i felt like i lost a little stability with it. I am digging that tach though.. probably wouldnt look at it too much bc my eyes would be on the back of the car in front of me so i wouldnt end up in their back seat..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts