Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to show everyone this beauty after all the hard work i put in this weekend. I did the Ohlins fork springs Saturday and the taillight/blinker combo with license plate bracket and light. I also bought a new corbin seat which i think really helps fill in some of the empty space caused by the rear rack (which is a bike rack, yes a literal bicycle rack on my motorcycle).

After several days of google searches I came up short on finding some brackets to mount the lights to the swing arm. So I took matters into my own hands and went to a hardware store picked up some big hose clamps, sized them down to where it would fit my swing arm, then with the extra band sticking out i folded it over multiple times and flattened it with a vice, drilled a hole through it and mounted the lights. it actually worked surprisingly well, and they seem pretty strong and stiff so the lights are bouncing around (which i thought was going to happen). I'm bummed I didn't think about getting marine grade stainless steel hose clamps before doing this so the ones i have will probably rust in a year or so but it will give me a lot more time to come up with something more professional. The lights i bought are the X-ARC duos and they are crazy small and insanely bright! They also seem extremely well built and made from a nice metal.

The ohlins fork springs are 100% the best decision I've made for my bike so far. Seriously the difference is unbelievable, it eats up pot holes and is no longer terrifying when i hit a bump in a turn, it holds to the ground so much better and doesn't feel like a rocking boat when i stop. I was actually so impressed with their performance that i bought the rear piggy back set 15 minutes after my test ride of installing the front springs (the rear set is $1000, My bank account is pissed but I'm happy). If you have the money I highly recommend the front springs, and the install wasn't that bad either.

I also had to cut down the old license plate bracket on the rear fender frame. I'm a firm believer that everyone needs an angle grinder/cutting blade now. I was going to mount a reflector in the holes of the fender but a friend of mine gave me a sweet sticker that I'm just going to cover them up with instead.

I've always said I'm not very handy with tools but after this weekend I'm pretty positive i earned the right to say i am.

Also I forgot to mention ignore the silver fork tube, it has now been wrapped with black vinyl.

Hope you enjoy the photos and my post, Thanks everyone on this forum i literally couldn't of gotten to this point without you guys and you're plethora of information. <3 Rebel Love

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks awesome!

Can't wait for my custom double-seat Corbin to arrive.
It's really nice you'll be glad you bought it, def a little hard at first but the support is so even that it still feels super comfortable, i can only imagine after 2000 miles of breaking it in how nice it,s going to be.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I just want to show everyone this beauty after all the hard work i put in this weekend. I did the Ohlins fork springs Saturday and the taillight/blinker combo with license plate bracket and light. I also bought a new corbin seat which i think really helps fill in some of the empty space caused by the rear rack (which is a bike rack, yes a literal bicycle rack on my motorcycle).

After several days of google searches I came up short on finding some brackets to mount the lights to the swing arm. So I took matters into my own hands and went to a hardware store picked up some big hose clamps, sized them down to where it would fit my swing arm, then with the extra band sticking out i folded it over multiple times and flattened it with a vice, drilled a hole through it and mounted the lights. it actually worked surprisingly well, and they seem pretty strong and stiff so the lights are bouncing around (which i thought was going to happen). I'm bummed I didn't think about getting marine grade stainless steel hose clamps before doing this so the ones i have will probably rust in a year or so but it will give me a lot more time to come up with something more professional. The lights i bought are the X-ARC duos and they are crazy small and insanely bright! They also seem extremely well built and made from a nice metal.

The ohlins fork springs are 100% the best decision I've made for my bike so far. Seriously the difference is unbelievable, it eats up pot holes and is no longer terrifying when i hit a bump in a turn, it holds to the ground so much better and doesn't feel like a rocking boat when i stop. I was actually so impressed with their performance that i bought the rear piggy back set 15 minutes after my test ride of installing the front springs (the rear set is $1000, My bank account is pissed but I'm happy). If you have the money I highly recommend the front springs, and the install wasn't that bad either.

I also had to cut down the old license plate bracket on the rear fender frame. I'm a firm believer that everyone needs an angle grinder/cutting blade now. I was going to mount a reflector in the holes of the fender but a friend of mine gave me a sweet sticker that I'm just going to cover them up with instead.

I've always said I'm not very handy with tools but after this weekend I'm pretty positive i earned the right to say i am.

Also I forgot to mention ignore the silver fork tube, it has now been wrapped with black vinyl.

Hope you enjoy the photos and my post, Thanks everyone on this forum i literally couldn't of gotten to this point without you guys and you're plethora of information. <3 Rebel Love
Nice to hear about the fork springs. I am hoping to change mine soon. I was thinking about the ohlins gas piggy back rears but I hate that they do not match the bike color wise.

Are you worried at all about those turn signals? Seems they are so low cars would not see them very well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to hear about the fork springs. I am hoping to change mine soon. I was thinking about the ohlins gas piggy back rears but I hate that they do not match the bike color wise.

Are you worried at all about those turn signals? Seems they are so low cars would not see them very well.
No,I'm not worried at all, they are unbelievable bright (probably 20 times brighter than my previous setup). They're actually 400 Lumen, at night time they cast a 10 foot diameter red light aura on the ground behind me which is pretty cool the blinkers also light up the ground yellow behind me. the photo doesn't do the brightness justice at all i wish i could show you what my eyes see vs what I'm able to capture on camera.

Also i have a bike rack on my motorcycle that was pretty much completely covering my license plate and taillights before, so this was the only option i could come up with to keep them visible while I have a bike on the back of it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the rear rack (which is a bike rack, yes a literal bicycle rack on my motorcycle).

Since your rear rack is a bicycle rack and tubular check it often for cracks.
I've had a few tubular rear racks crack that weren't bicycle.
That's when I started making my own racks out of 1/4 x 1-1 1/4 wide and 1/8 or 1/4 x 1 1/2 aluminum angle. All bolted together with 1/4-20 bolts and nylocks.
Haven't had a crack or any problems since.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the rear rack (which is a bike rack, yes a literal bicycle rack on my motorcycle).

Since your rear rack is a bicycle rack and tubular check it often for cracks.
I've had a few tubular rear racks crack that weren't bicycle.
That's when I started making my own racks out of 1/4 x 1-1 1/4 wide and 1/8 or 1/4 x 1 1/2 aluminum angle. All bolted together with 1/4-20 bolts and nylocks.
Haven't had a crack or any problems since.
actually yeah that's the next goal is to re design the rack. the only thing is the inside of the fender frame is really close to the tire. like a half inch to inch on each side.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian,

Please post a link to where you purchased the Ohlins Springs.
Were the springs difficult to install?

Kenny G
Actually I called an Ohlins distro about 2 hours from my house and they said there was only 1 pair in the entire U.S. and that it would take them 3 weeks to get it, I decided to forget that and go on Ebay, I bought a set and they guy never replied or said anything for a week so i canceled that order. Then I found out there was actually an Ohlins distributor in my city about 10 miles away! (I don't know why it didn't show up when i was looking for it in the first place) So i called them and they actually had 1 pair in stock! I literally felt like the luckiest person in the U.S. at that point, like i won the lottery, lol. Also they were $250 through the distro and the ones i found online were $300 + shipping so I'd recommend going through a distro if you can!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian,

Please post a link to where you purchased the Ohlins Springs.
Were the springs difficult to install?

Kenny G
The fork Springs you are looking for are the OHLINS FSK 127

They were also fairly easy to install the hardest thing was getting the oil levels right, get two jack stands, flip your footpegs upside down so they won't fold up, the bike should sit on the back tire and the jack stands with fork in the air. Take Note of the placement of your forks, how much space is on the top sticking out of your steering clamp, you're going to want to put it together the exact way it was. Loosen and take off front wheel, loosen the top cap before loosening the steering clamps, slide forks off and remove the top caps now. I actually left the fender on the whole time which kept them together and def made my life harder, remove your fender. remove springs and plastic spacers (I was shocked the stock ones were plastic definitely made me even more happy about the purchase) pour oil out and pump the forks upside down, draining the oil, then let it sit upside down for a half hour. Pour in the new oil while the fork is fully compressed on a level surface and upright (the oil you're looking for is OHLINS 01316). Get a tape measure and put it to 180mm stick it down inside and as soon as it touches the end of the tape measure stop filling it. It has to be 180mm from the top. And then just put it back together, I went over all my bolts 3 times took a break and checked them all again because you do not want to leave anything loose at all. any kind of failure on the front end is not going to end well at all.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The fork Springs you are looking for are the OHLINS FSK 127

They were also fairly easy to install the hardest thing was getting the oil levels right, get two jack stands, flip your footpegs upside down so they won't fold up, the bike should sit on the back tire and the jack stands with fork in the air. Take Note of the placement of your forks, how much space is on the top sticking out of your steering clamp, you're going to want to put it together the exact way it was. Loosen and take off front wheel, loosen the top cap before loosening the steering clamps, slide forks off and remove the top caps now. I actually left the fender on the whole time which kept them together and def made my life harder, remove your fender. remove springs and plastic spacers (I was shocked the stock ones were plastic definitely made me even more happy about the purchase) pour oil out and pump the forks upside down, draining the oil, then let it sit upside down for a half hour. Pour in the new oil while the fork is fully compressed on a level surface and upright (the oil you're looking for is OHLINS 01316). Get a tape measure and put it to 180mm stick it down inside and as soon as it touches the end of the tape measure stop filling it. It has to be 180mm from the top. And then just put it back together, I went over all my bolts 3 times took a break and checked them all again because you do not want to leave anything loose at all. any kind of failure on the front end is not going to end well at all.
Thank you Brian

·
Registered
209 Posts
actually yeah that's the next goal is to re design the rack. the only thing is the inside of the fender frame is really close to the tire. like a half inch to inch on each side.
The rear fender supports are threaded, I just bought longer metric bolts that fit and no issues with tire clearance

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rear fender supports are threaded, I just bought longer metric bolts that fit and no issues with tire clearance
I read your original posting wrong i was thinking you were mounting the rack to the bike with the nuts and bolts, but you're actually holding the rack together with the nuts and bolts. do you have any pictures of your rack so i can see how you're doing it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I read your original posting wrong i was thinking you were mounting the rack to the bike with the nuts and bolts, but you're actually holding the rack together with the nuts and bolts. do you have any pictures of your rack so i can see how you're doing it?
I have photo's, but don't know how to put them in a post

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good! Which side bag is that?
i actually bought it off this guy from Thailand, Thebres Sket Thunglifeoi is his name just facebook message him and he would love that i sent you. Also they're handmade and the quality is really good he'll do any kind of buckle or color you want and he is really nice, the only thing is my bag had to go through customs so it took about a month to get. but he is absolutely great at making bags.

tell him i sent you! I think he may be on this site also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brian,
If you still have the original springs around, would you please make a few measurements and post a photo of it?
If you measure spring OD, wire diameter, and spring length, and make a picture so I can count active coils I can run the math to get a spring rate of the oem springs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts