Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,170 Posts
I've been cleaning my motorcycles at a car wash with no ill effects. Using a little common sense avoiding high pressure near handlebar controls, steering stem, fork seals, wheel bearings etc. Over those areas I release the wand trigger for a very low pressure spray. I've used a car wash on bikes since 1968. In that time span I have had wheels off many bikes for tire replacement which always included bearing inspection...never found a dry washed out bearing. Never have had any issues with handlebar switches. Never found any water in fork tubes on seal/oil replacement.

· Registered
728 Posts
I've been cleaning my motorcycles at a car wash with no ill effects. Using a little common sense avoiding high pressure near handlebar controls, steering stem, fork seals, wheel bearings etc. Over those areas I release the wand trigger for a very low pressure spray. I've used a car wash on bikes since 1968. In that time span I have had wheels off many bikes for tire replacement which always included bearing inspection...never found a dry washed out bearing. Never have had any issues with handlebar switches. Never found any water in fork tubes on seal/oil replacement.
Common sense is a great tool to have in yer box!

· Registered
1,309 Posts
I hand clean with wet towel usually after each ride to get bugs off. I only ride on pavement so bike stays pretty clean. 2-4 times a year I may cold start it and let it about 1 minute, roll it out in the street, remove the seat, cover the chain with plastic bag, soap it down with soapy water in a spray bottle (I actually lay on a piece of cardboard so I can spray soap at the bottom of the engine and lower areas) and then hose spray it off. I then take my leaf blower and dry the bike off well. I start the bike and let it run for a minute, then wipe off anything where water is showing. I avoid spraying the controls and battery are more than just a little. After that I put some wax on it and oil the chain.

30-45 minutes to do it all. I think I have it down petty good since I first hand washed my 1941 Harley Knucklehead 74 in 1963.

· Registered
76 Posts
I hand clean with wet towel usually after each ride to get bugs off. I only ride on pavement so bike stays pretty clean. 2-4 times a year I may cold start it and let it about 1 minute, roll it out in the street, remove the seat, cover the chain with plastic bag, soap it down with soapy water in a spray bottle (I actually lay on a piece of cardboard so I can spray soap at the bottom of the engine and lower areas) and then hose spray it off. I then take my leaf blower and dry the bike off well. I start the bike and let it run for a minute, then wipe off anything where water is showing. I avoid spraying the controls and battery are more than just a little. After that I put some wax on it and oil the chain.

30-45 minutes to do it all. I think I have it down petty good since I first hand washed my 1941 Harley Knucklehead 74 in 1963.
In the video a brush is used after foaming it up, so why not use a bucket, some soap, and brush, THEN with just a hose with no sprayer end on it rinse the "muc" off??
Pressure of any kind not good for motorcycles.
I use a bottle of Simple Green, spray it on let stand for a couple of min. then use garden hose to rinse and leaf blower to dry.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm an apartment dweller and I have no outside water source. So, I use a basin of warm, soapy
water and rinse it off with this $16 bug sprayer bottle from Amazon. It can't give you
damaging high pressure water, but it puts out plenty of spray to give your bike a good,
gentle rinse. It also doubles as a nice flower sprayer -- and as a sensational water cannon to
annoy your kids with!

Cheers -- and as always, as you ride, watch your ass out there!

https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-International-20000-1-Gallon-Translucent/dp/B000E28UQU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=14PMOYYY40R2R&keywords=Chapin+20000+1+Gallon+Lawn+&+G and a ragarden%2BSprayer&qid=1674177660&sprefix=chapin%2B20000%2B1%2Bgallon%2Blawn%2B%26%2Bgarden%2Bsprayer%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-5&th=1

· Registered
10 Posts
I'm an apartment dweller and I have no outside water source. So, I use a basin of warm, soapy
water and rinse it off with this $16 bug sprayer bottle from Amazon. It can't give you
damaging high pressure water, but it puts out plenty of spray to give your bike a good,
gentle rinse. It also doubles as a nice flower sprayer -- and as a sensational water cannon to
annoy your kids with!

Cheers -- and as always, as you ride, watch your ass out there!

https://www.amazon.com/Chapin-International-20000-1-Gallon-Translucent/dp/B000E28UQU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=14PMOYYY40R2R&keywords=Chapin+20000+1+Gallon+Lawn+&+G and a ragarden%2BSprayer&qid=1674177660&sprefix=chapin%2B20000%2B1%2Bgallon%2Blawn%2B%26%2Bgarden%2Bsprayer%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-5&th=1

The $16 bug sprayer on Amazon is now $17.50. Friggin' inflation! Still worth it, though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts