Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is hard to get a single bolt to line up properly when mounting saddlebags or sissy bar to the Rebel 500 rear fender. The Rebel fenders have captive 8mm nuts in each of the four holes. Proper bolt length is essential to avoid rubbing the tire. I solved the problem by buying four 8M x 100mm x1.25 threaded bolts (look closely at the picture--the bolt has no head), then adding the spacers and the Amazon sissy bar, then the Viking bags and putting a fender washer and nut on the inside of the bags (see photos). If I wanted just the saddlebags, I would need 80mm bolts. If I wanted just the sissy-bar I would need 50mm bolts.
Hood Automotive design Peripheral Motor vehicle Fender
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Trunk Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Shelf Wood Automotive design Shelving

· Registered
2021 Honda CMX 1100 DCT
22 Posts
I'm currently finishing up mounting Saddlemen saddlebags on my Rebel 1100 so this is a subject I find very interesting. I admire your solution but would be a little concerned using all-thread rods which are usually graded lower (4.6 to 5.8 metric system) and have less strength than bolts graded 10.9 to 12.9 that are more suitable for the job. Especially given the length you are using and the weight you might be carrying.
It look like you could reduce the length of your bolts by discarding the spacer for the sissy bar and use the saddlebag brackets to locate both items away from the frame and seat. It would also move your saddlebags closer to the bike.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally decided to replace the Viking bags with stock Honda side racks and bags. They were easier to install and the bags click into place very nicely and can be removed with a click. To lock them, a small cable lock is needed.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Chair

· Registered
286 Posts
I would have done the same if they were not so small which is why I went with Hepco and Becker big Buffalo bags, 35 liters. They come off easily, C-bow mount, lock to the bike and can be locked closed.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts