Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering has anyone used one of these on their rebel. I was hoping to do my own chain adjustments etc, but I've read previously on this forum that most if not all paddock stands will not work due to the OEM muffler getting in the way.

If worst comes to worst I'll just remove the exhaust and by a paddock stand, but I'd rather not do this every time I adjust the chain. So it got me pondering on if anyone has any experience with these lifts and if they are any good.

Thanks in advance

Locky

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've just realised that the exhaust is lower than the frame. So a motorcycle lift stand isn't going to work is it. Moderators you're more than welcome to remove my post, I would but I can't figure out how to.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I have only had to adjust my chain one time so far.

I did not use a lift to make the adjustment.

It would be nice to have a lift to lube the chain.

Kenny G

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Locky,

I have a set of sockets and box wrenches and Allen socket wrenches.

I didn't have to adjust my chain until I reached 5000 or 6000 miles.

For your first set of tools if you have a Harbor Freight near you their tools are plenty good for a new guy.

You should have a service manual even for simple jobs.

Kenny G

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry Kenny I should have been more specific, I meant in regards to how you lifted the bike

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Sorry Kenny I should have been more specific, I meant in regards to how you lifted the bike
I didn't lift the bike to adjust the chain. I did it with both wheels on the floor. I have always done it that way unless the bike I was adjusting had an integral center stand. You are only going to move the axle a few thousandths of an inch.

Kenny:surprise:

·
Registered
932 Posts
@Locky -before I changed my exhaust I used a paddock stand successfully. on the right hand side I just put a towel between the rubber section of the stand and the muffler so it didn't scratch. the muffler/right passenger bracket is attached solidly and easily supported the bike on the right side. i did this on several occasions before switching to an exhaust that allows me access to both swingarms.

·
Registered
461 Posts
@Locky -before I changed my exhaust I used a paddock stand successfully. on the right hand side I just put a towel between the rubber section of the stand and the muffler so it didn't scratch. the muffler/right passenger bracket is attached solidly and easily supported the bike on the right side. i did this on several occasions before switching to an exhaust that allows me access to both swingarms.
I did much the same and successfully lifted the bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did much the same and successfully lifted the bike.
Thanks both, what paddock stands did you use?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts