Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 2000 miles, and two months of riding my Honda Rebel 500. I got into an accident.
Nothing bad, just a little swideswipe. (Well I should say. For the woman I hit). Just some paint, and a new bumper bracket.
For me.. a sore ankle, and a sad week or two of no riding ahead of me.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear. What happened if you don’t mind me asking?
I was going about 25 lanesplitting, and a van to my right was starting to drift left. So I pulled the clutch revved as much as I could, and couldn't go anywhere. Because the lady on the left in front of me (which I hit) was drifting right.
And instead of doing the smart thing, I sped up and sideswiped the lady. No one was hurt. Just my bike..

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm actually quite glad lane splitting is illegal in Illinois.
Removes the temptation and risk of doing so. Pretty sure I'd end up in a similar situation quick if I ever tried.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I was going about 25 lanesplitting, and a van to my right was starting to drift left. So I pulled the clutch revved as much as I could, and couldn't go anywhere. Because the lady on the left in front of me (which I hit) was drifting right.
And instead of doing the smart thing, I sped up and sideswiped the lady. No one was hurt. Just my bike..
I think the idea of revving your bike to get other riders to notice you is a terrible idea, and is more likely to cause an accident then save you from one. The bike has a horn for that reason.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Removes the temptation and risk of doing so. Pretty sure I'd end up in a similar situation quick if I ever tried.
I am not a big lane splitter mostly because I don't commute but California studies and rider experiences show that lane splitting is safer for the rider, reduces congestion (one less vehicle sitting in traffic) and reduces pollution. Got stuck behind a line of traffic yesterday and made the most of slow speed splitting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I think the idea of revving your bike to get other riders to notice you is a terrible idea, and is more likely to cause an accident then save you from one. The bike has a horn for that reason.
No I think that too, but when I tried using the horn. I could barely hear it, let alone someone with their windows up and the music playing.
So I have my Musarri slip on to help a bit more.
Hoping to get parts ordered today and installed for Friday.

·
Registered
715 Posts
No I think that too, but when I tried using the horn. I could barely hear it, let alone someone with their windows up and the music playing.
So I have my Musarri slip on to help a bit more.
Hoping to get parts ordered today and installed for Friday.
Yeah, our horn is pathetic. I swapped mine out per arches mechanic suggestion. You can hear it in the video above at about :30 seconds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, our horn is pathetic. I swapped mine out per arches mechanic suggestion. You can hear it in the video above at about :30 seconds.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's a pretty loud horn

·
Registered
715 Posts
Gary,

I am hoping that you will provide step by step instructions on the install.

Kenny G
Actually, one of our members already did a video. It was really simple. The horn comes in a set of two different tones. You need to pick which tone you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$110, One Week, and about 30-45 minutes later..
Misfit is back up and running perfectly fine. Rode it 30 miles home, and it was so good to ride once again.
If anyone needs to do this themselves.
My advice, put the rubber pad on before you attach the foot pedal. It'll save you ~5 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I actually feel much less safe in traffic when I'm not splitting. I used to split dangerously when I was 21, but 12 years later, I think I'm much more cautious and do it right.

On another note, Monday I rode from south Orange County to the Bay Area, split lanes in LA and the Bay in the same day. LA drivers move out of the way for you about 2% of the time and try to block you out about 30% of the time. Bay drivers give you tons of room about 50% of the time and hardly ever try to block you out. It's interesting and one of the few things I prefer about living up here now.

I rode a Honda Shadow 600 through downtown LA for work for 1.5 years. They actually moved out of the way a lot once I hacksawed off my mufflers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts