Avg US MPG
71.9(-4.7)
Last US MPG
82.8(9/11/19)
Best US MPG

Tracked over 5,872 miles using 5% Ethanol. I use this to track my usage

By the way thanks for the heads up on that app

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

In Europe, manual calls for 95 octanes, but dealer... "nothing less than 98 to put in" 😧
...and is it worth to say, that I put regular (95 octanes) in since I own the bike and it works as intended. Was experimented with octanes, when owned BMWs 650 Rotax powered bikes (3 of them, Dakar and two Scarvers), with first two went premium (98), with last one switched to regular (95), and my "but dyno"🤣 told me that runs smoother than with high grade fuel (manual also calls for regular gas). So why spend more for no gain?

The only time higher than recommended octane will help in any way is if an engine is performance oriented.

Most all engines these days have octane sensors. They're usually setup to retard timing to prevent knocking. But in some engines, in addition to retarding timing, they will also advance timing for better performance.

No reason whatsoever to run premium gasoline in the Rebel. What people may not be aware of is there is a different octane rating between Europe and North America: 91 in Europe = 87 in US/Canada/Mexico. These bikes are engineered to run on Regular (typically 87 US or 91 Euro). In the US you may see as much as a 40 to 50 cent increase between Reg. and Prem. Since we average about 2.5 gal from empty to full, that's over 1 dollar difference every fill-up. There is no performance advantage to run higher octane in these bikes so just use regular octane and give the homeless dude on the corner a dollar and feel better about throwing your money away.

Around here the 87oct has more alcohol in it than the premium, as long as prices are low I will put premium in everything that sits for extended times ( Rebel, mowers etc ), my car gets whatever I feel like at the time.

Around here the 87oct has more alcohol in it than the premium, as long as prices are low I will put premium in everything that sits for extended times ( Rebel, mowers etc ), my car gets whatever I feel like at the time.
Hmmm.. I've never seen lower octane gas have more ethanol. Being that ethanol has higher octane, it's easier to boost octane by using more ethanol. Still one just needs to look at the pump since the pump has to be labeled with the ethanol level in the gas, irregardless of octane rating. E10 is 10%, E85 is 85% ethanol and so on..

Around me, they sell an 88 octane gas. So I guess I have seen it, but it's not a standard octane level (87/89/91/93) I can't remember the exact ethanol level because I've been ignoring it, but I think it's E20 or E15. Everything else is E10

Yep 88 octane=15%, AND some places are trying to sneak that in on you so you dont know your filling with E15%.
Dont want it, dont use it.
You do know E15 wont let you go as far as pure gas (E0) will?!

And yes around here as well, 87 octane is E10 and then some places have premium with no ethanol in it.

Just bought my rebel 500 and have only done 125miles. When I picked it up i filled the tank, did the 125 miles and then re filled it up, took 6.7 litres to fill back up so that worked out to about 84mpg ( uk gallon not us) E5 unleaded.

Notes on my 300 fuel economy:

99% stop and go traffic and roads at or under 80km/hr (50mph) driving conditions. And spirited driving almost constantly. The results:

I can do roughly 280kms (175 miles) before the last fuel dash starts flashing from a completely full to the brim tank. When it's starts flashing the manual says you've got 2.2l left in there. So quick calculation...280/9L (since it's an 11L tank) = 31kms/L, 3.2L/100km
or 72 mpg (US). Not far off from advertised 78mpg. It's worth noting that I have an exhaust slip on and no tune.

There we are...that's about as boring as motorcycle riding will ever get because who cares 😂

Just bought my rebel 500 and have only done 125miles. When I picked it up I filled the tank, did the 125 miles and then re filled it up, took 6.7 litres to fill back up so that worked out to about 84mpg ( uk gallon not us) E5 unleaded.
Test run today of 129.0 miles gave a reading of 89.1 mpg - imperial/UK.

Good but not as good as my Super Cub

;)

How about a pic of your Super Cub?
When I gets a moment Rob’ I’ll photograph them both together.

It is a pain in the proverbial getting used to the different gearing. The Rebel being one down and five up. The Super Cub being all down and all up to get back to neutral. I’ve taken off the toe-to-heel gear lever. Hate it! whoever designed it must have size 18 boots! I’ve replaced it with an ordinary gear lever which is better than rocking back on my heel. I almost threw myself off it when I first had a ride - lol. Trying to find the neutral between the gears and sync the revs is not easy. I somehow went from third to first! Instant wheel lock - lol. It’s good fun and useful for short errands.

I’m reliably informed that they are not selling well in the U.K. Next year there is going to be an off road version, Hunter Cub - Aaargh!

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.