Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Miles per gallon?

48K views 79 replies 45 participants last post by  Indiana Paul 
#1 ·
I only saw one other, older, thread on this. How many miles per gallon are you getting?

My Rebel 500 running on ethanol-free gasoline seems to get about 57 mpg.

#5 ·
That seems really low, though I've never run ethanol free... not sure of the efficiency difference.

I average between 65 and 70mpg (mostly highway driving at 60+ mph), though I think one of my earlier tanks (when I was still getting comfortable with it and babying it) I got 72mpg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Good topic!

I reset the trip meter at each fill-up, I'm averaging 62mpg (US) on my 500. I've been using regular 87 octane, per the dealer's recommendation.

I've found that my fuel gauge starts flashing when I get to about 130 miles on the trip meter, then it takes just a hair over 2 gallons to fill it.

-CG

#9 ·
I know you guys are referencing the 500 but if I may I'll chime in- I have the 300 and currently still in the break in phase of the bike- currently has 77 miles on it and its at half a tank-maybe a little less-, I have not really beat on it to much as its still in the break in phase and fastest I have gone on the local roads is about 40-45 mph so if its a hair over 2 gallons on the tank I want to say I am getting anywhere from 60-65 mpg- I'm guessing

#11 ·
The tank is 2.96 gallons. Also, don't assume that your tank was full when you picked it up, even though the display might have shown that it was.

The best way to get your average fuel economy is to start with a known full tank of gas and a trip odometer reset to zero. The next time you fill up, divide the miles driven by the amount of fuel it took to fill it up, keeping in mind that even that amount of fuel is a variable, in that your bike might be sitting at a slightly different angle than the last time you filled up, nozzle differences at different gas stations can cause the pump to shut off earlier, etc.

Another option is to keep a running tally going on the 2nd trip odometer... don't reset it after each fill up... let it go for 4 or 5 fill ups (though you need to keep track of the amount of gas from each fill up), then you'll have a larger "sample" size of miles driven vs fuel consumed for a more accurate average.

#10 ·
Every time I fill up I try to do it the same way, bike leaning on the kick stand the same way **, filled to the same level. Then I make a note of the number of miles on the trip meter and divide that by the number of gallons (from the receipt). For example, if I have 103 miles on the trip meter and I pump 1.8 gallons then 103 / 1.8 = 57.2. I'm going to be more diligent about keeping the numbers in a spreadsheet for myself with notes on the riding conditions to see if there are large variations but I don't think there are.

** By filling up with the bike leaning, it avoids overfilling on hot summer days when expansion within a sun-baked tank might make some excess gas overflow.

#15 ·
Fuel

I travel at between 55 & 70 mph around the Scottish highlands ( no towns involved) and get between 75 & 84 mpg.
I don't pull away at high revs and drive steady getting into 6th quickly.
My last bike was the CB500F with same engine and got exactly the same results.
If you get much less than this then change your driving style :laugh:

#19 ·
On my 2018 500 I got 67mpg the very first tank full. Then 68.5 and just now I checked it and got 73mpg. That's at 610 miles from new. I am a pretty conservative rider though.

modmaster

Reactions: R80rt and Kenny G
#28 ·
Knowing which octane to run for motorcycles is the easiest, because it's easier to hear engine knocking. Higher octane only prevents knocking so run 87 unless you hear knocking. If you do use higher octane. Keep going up until the knocking goes away. Knocking will only do damage long term. If you don't know if your engine is knocking it isn't. You'd know it if you heard it.

#30 ·
I get about 100 miles between fill ups on my 500 with my 25 mile (one way) commute to work. I live in western Washington state where drivers are typically and unfortunately cucks around motorcycles, or other humans for that matter, who don't understand anything about traveling in a car so I'm constantly dodging brainless turds in the road. I "TRY" to keep a steady 70 mph going to work but it varies between stopped on the freeway and doing 80 to pass some jerkoff who decides to illegally merge into the HOV lane abruptly. I may not be the best example of fuel efficiency...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.