Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a slow leak in my original tire, and I'm thinking of getting a Michelin Commander II tire. In shopping around, I see there's a reinforced version of this. Is that better? Worse? It's only $10 more, so I'm happy to get it if it's a better tire.

Michelin Commander II Tires - Cycle Gear

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While I'm on the subject, I see there's a Commander III. Is that what I should be looking at?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know the Commander III is new and improved, but I'd say if you can get the II's cheaper, do it. I love mine. They're a huge upgrade to stock Dunlops. Sorry, but don't know anything about the reinforced though....

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 - Metallic Black
59 Posts
Just curious, what do you like better about them over the Dunlops? The stock Dunlops seem like decent tires but they are the only ones I have any experience with at this point.

Reactions: scott_see

·
Registered
275 Posts
Apropos your question concerning reinforced or not. You will find your answer in the links below. Take careful note of what it says about the cons remembering it is a motorcycle. Unless Honda specify a reinforced tyre I would stick to the book.

Don’t forget: The only thing separating your body from the road is a surface no more than the size of your palm!

Complete guide to motorcycle tyres

The Pros and Cons of Reinforced Tyres » Oponeo.co.uk

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 500
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sooty, yes, that link answered my question exactly. Thank you!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just curious, what do you like better about them over the Dunlops? The stock Dunlops seem like decent tires but they are the only ones I have any experience with at this point.
Yeah, I don't think the Dunlops are bad by any means, but also being minimally experienced like you, I could still feel a tremendous difference. They feel firmer and absorb the road better (bumps, dips, gravel, whatever...). On grooved highways it's very noticable how much stronger they feel. Whereas the Dunlops sometimes felt slippery there, these hold ground and the grooves are barely noticeable. In general, just better traction, better absorption and well worth the extra cash. They also will last about twice as long as least as the Dunlops. It's stated as a selling point, but now that I've put about 9k on them, it's absolutely true.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both front and rear are reinforced tires. Front load index is 73, rear is 77.
I don't think the reinforced tire is that important, but keep tire pressure in right value is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hate Dumb lops and see already in my first long sharp turn I got some wiggly feelings. They were no good on other bikes I have had and the same goes for my 500. Personal experience was Metzler and Michelin were far far better tires for me. I will probably be looking at those brands when I get some use out of these crappy, as usual, OEM tires.
I am just now reading others recommendations and see both these brands also mentioned by others.
Enjoy your new bike, you picked a good one. This is bike number 6 for me in 50 years and I believe it will be one of the most fun to ride of the bunch.
Drive safe and enjoy, but watch for out for the other guy. Currently worrying about visibility of this little bike with its silver dollar sized headlight bulbs.
My last bike had a large headlight that flashed during daylight hours. Tremendous difference in how my bike was seen by other drivers.
I Do not care for the LED lights nor the LCD speedometer at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts