Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My installer inflated the front tire to 34 PSI and the rear tire to 36 PSI.

On my initial ride I thought that inflation was probably good because the Michelins felt like they had a bigger foot print than the Dunflops had. I rode around slow speed doing figure 8s until I felt comfortable. The temperature here in North Texas has been running up to 110 degrees during daylight hours and I would love to inflate the tires with nitrogen, but I can't find any place to do it.

I think I am going to back down to 29 PSI both front and rear as soon as I can get out early in the morning when the roads are not yet hot and see how the 29 LB feels.

I don't like to over inflate tires because the center of the tire wears out prematurely. And the ride can be bouncy.

Kenny G

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Reason I was asking is I checked my pressure and the front was 27 and the rear was 37. That's after having the new tires on for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sidewall says 42psi. What pressure are you using?
Technically you should run the bike recommended tire pressure at 29psi. Since we have a pretty light bike we don't have to put as much air in to get the desired contact patch for optimum performance. Sure the tire can handle it but the bike doesn't need it and will act differently do to less surface area on the ground. Even the stock Dunlops were rated at 41psi but that's not what we run in them.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Technically you should run the bike recommended tire pressure at 29psi. Since we have a pretty light bike we don't have to put as much air in to get the desired contact patch for optimum performance. Sure the tire can handle it but the bike doesn't need it and will act differently do to less surface area on the ground. Even the stock Dunlops were rated at 41psi but that's not what we run in them.
I wasn't sure why the dealer put such different pressures from the front to the rear or if there was something I didn't know about the Michelins. I'll try the 29 and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Thanks everyone. Reason I was asking is I checked my pressure and the front was 27 and the rear was 37. That's after having the new tires on for a couple of weeks.
Gary it sounds to me like the installer screwed up.

I am going to try 29 PSI and looking forward to what you think with 29 PSI in your tires.

Kenny G

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know this the difference in 10 psi is only a couple seconds longer on the valve stem. I also had to lower my pressure after the tire change the other day as they had both at about 39 psi. At low speed I could really tell something was different, at first i chalked it up to brand new tires but I git to thinking maybe they were overinflated and that's exactly what I found. The ride much better now, granted I'm on Pirelli's not you're alls fancy Commander 2's (lol) but you should notice the same thing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I wasn't sure why the dealer put such different pressures from the front to the rear or if there was something I didn't know about the Michelins. I'll try the 29 and see how it goes.
Outside of the the pressure issue, how do you like the Michelins?

I really hate the stock tires, they are some of the worst I had on any bike. I plan on eventually switching to either Michelin or Perelli.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Outside of the the pressure issue, how do you like the Michelins?

I really hate the stock tires, they are some of the worst I had on any bike. I plan on eventually switching to either Michelin or Perelli.
I didn't change the tires for any other reason than I wanted to try something else. I really didn't have a problem with the Dunlops. The Commanders seemed a little skittish but I chalked that up to them being new not realizing that they were a bit over-inflated. I'm now at 29psi and will report once I've ridden them a few times.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
AB82,

The only difference I noticed is the Michelins have a bigger foot print than the Dunlops.
How I noticed the difference was at low speed it took more effort to turn the handle bars to make a low speed turn than with the Dunlops.
I was used to the difference before I finished riding that day.
I also noticed that the Michelins have slightly better traction than the Dunlops.
I changed the tires because the tread was worn out on the rear tire, I did not find anything objectionable with the Dunlops.

Kenny G

·
Registered
814 Posts
Can anyone describe all the noticable differences from the commander II in comparison to the stock Dunlop’s. Pros and cons.
While I can't speak on the exact tires you are talking about. In my opinion the stock dunlops are the worst tire I have ever had on a bike. They are obviously fine tires and work, but they are not the best gripping tire.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don’t get me wrong. I want to get me a set cause I see all the videos with nothing but great views on handling and mileage but everywhere I look they seem to say perfect for the heavy cruiser. My concern is will they lay enough meat on the ground on our light rebels to put up with Fast speeds, hard leans and just out right riding sport style. Or will I skidout. I also don’t know if commanders are lighter or heavier than the stock bias Dunlop’s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts