Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 rebel 500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I bought a 2021 Honda rebel 500 in White. I know under the matte finish is a gloss metallic white paint. I want to remove the matte finish as I want the gloss white so I can apply a copper leaf to the tank and rear fender. Is there anyway to remove the matte without having to strip and re paint the tank and fender?

I was thinking doing a supper fine wet sanding to try and remove it but was hoping someone on here has paint knowledge.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Keith

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't know much about paint but could you wet sand it with 2-4000 grit and shoot a high glossy clear coat over it to give it a really good shine. Do you really have to remove it to get to the white? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2021 rebel 500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about paint but could you wet sand it with 2-4000 grit and shoot a high glossy clear coat over it to give it a really good shine. Do you really have to remove it to get to the white? Just wondering.
Yes if you try and peel off the Honda logo the paint underneath with be a high gloss. I am not sure but I would think that means the matte is like a top clear coat kinda thing.

·
Super Moderator
1,531 Posts
Yes if you try and peel off the Honda logo the paint underneath with be a high gloss. I am not sure but I would think that means the matte is like a top clear coat kinda thing.
That's' correct. The matte finish is in the top coat. You would have to sand it all off to get rid of the opacity. Easier to scuff the tank and get it repainted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can use a buffer with a light to medium grit rubbing compound and buff the matte finish to gloss. You can blend the matte to match the gloss under the logo, The matte finish is in the top coat, The top coat is there to protect the paint. if you remove the top coat you remove the paint protection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello I bought a 2021 Honda rebel 500 in White. I know under the matte finish is a gloss metallic white paint. I want to remove the matte finish as I want the gloss white so I can apply a copper leaf to the tank and rear fender. Is there anyway to remove the matte without having to strip and re paint the tank and fender?

I was thinking doing a supper fine wet sanding to try and remove it but was hoping someone on here has paint knowledge.

Any help would be great.

Thanks Keith
Do you want the copper leaf to be gloss same as the white paint. If so all you need to feather out the area where the logo was as well as the rest of the matte finish put down your sizing for the copper leaf and then shoot the whole thing in gloss clear coat. Don't try to remove the matte finish because you will kick yourself if you accidently sand to much through the gloss white.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do you feather it out without going to do though
Use around 2500-3000 grit sand paper and wet sand it very gently until you cannot feel a transition between the matte and gloss finish. It's OK if it there slightly because after you apply a few coats of the gloss clear your are going to want wet sand it with 3000 grit sand paper and polish it to a mirror gloss finish. Watch some videos on cutting and buffing clear coat if you need visuals. It's not that difficult to do even if you are using automotive clear coat in a spray can. Just take your time and you will get great results even if it's your first time. This is the first time ever painted anything with detail. I used an actual spray gun to spray the clear. Tank is from my Sportster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts