Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone here have a magnetic tank bag? Also, I just want to confirm - the rebel's tank is steel/metal, not plastic, correct? I couldn't find any info about it online. Just want to make sure the magnets would work! I'm looking for a way to transport my 13 in MBP to college without a backpack 馃槢

Thank you!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pop! Could you tell me the dimensions of your tank bag (L 脳 W 脳 H)? The website is not in english. I'm hoping I can fit a tank bag that is 15L 脳 11 W 脳 7 H (in inches) but I think it will be pushing it. I took a ruler and L and H will be fine, but the width of the tank is only around 10 inches across and I'm not sure if the magnets will hook further down the tank width-wise. I'm looking at the Oxford X30 Magnetic tank bag.

Registered
Hey Mash, don't want to burst your bubble but the Rebel's tank is too narrow to fit a bag of your dimensions. I was looking for a bag for my ipad Air!, and couldn't find a good looking one that'll fit right.
Some bags will fit the iPad or your 13" MBP OFF the tank, but due to the narrowness and slope of the tank it will not work. So I've grown to love wearing a backpack that will also allow me to carry my electronics, work out gears, shoes, and everything else. You have to take off and carry the tank bag anyway so why not get a backpack that'll do more.

Now, for short errands or cruise days, I either use no bags at all, a small tank bag or my larger tank bag on longer trips with my backpack.
I've bought and returned many tank bags, but the ones I stuck with are made from Chase harper, here are some images to show it's dimensions and scale

The first image shows the Chase Harper 950M (same dimension and volume as the 650M, 787cubic inches)
The second image shows same the Chase Harper 950M (expanded to 1125cubic inches)
The third, fourth, and fifth images show the Chase Harper 450M (about 250 cubic in.)

Attachments

Registered
BTW, all magnetic tank bags will scratch your tank! Doesn't matter if it says rubberized or scratch free. By it's nature if you're going to be taking the bag on and off the tank, there's bound to be dust, sand, road debris that is caught between the bag and tank. So although you may not get major deep scratches, you'll get micro scratches and swirls. Albeit it's less noticeable on matte paints. My tank is wrapped so this is not a concern for me

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mash, don't want to burst your bubble but the Rebel's tank is too narrow to fit a bag of your dimensions. I was looking for a bag for my ipad Air!, and couldn't find a good looking one that'll fit right.
Some bags will fit the iPad or your 13" MBP OFF the tank, but due to the narrowness and slope of the tank it will not work. So I've grown to love wearing a backpack that will also allow me to carry my electronics, work out gears, shoes, and everything else. You have to take off and carry the tank bag anyway so why not get a backpack that'll do more.

Now, for short errands or cruise days, I either use no bags at all, a small tank bag or my larger tank bag on longer trips with my backpack.
I've bought and returned many tank bags, but the ones I stuck with are made from Chase harper, here are some images to show it's dimensions and scale

The first image shows the Chase Harper 950M (same dimension and volume as the 650M, 787cubic inches)
The second image shows same the Chase Harper 950M (expanded to 1125cubic inches)
The third, fourth, and fifth images show the Chase Harper 450M (about 250 cubic in.)
Thanks Ryan! I really appreciate everything you've sent - you have certainly saved me some hassle from ordering tank bags!

I don't mind wearing a backpack, but I recently purchased a Helite Turtle airbag vest and it's not recommended to wear a backpack with it incase of deployment. So, I guess I will have to purchase a tailbag instead. I've been looking at the US kriega 20 tail bag but am not sure where to mount the straps to.

Registered
Thanks Ryan! I really appreciate everything you've sent - you have certainly saved me some hassle from ordering tank bags!

I don't mind wearing a backpack, but I recently purchased a Helite Turtle airbag vest and it's not recommended to wear a backpack with it incase of deployment. So, I guess I will have to purchase a tailbag instead. I've been looking at the US kriega 20 tail bag but am not sure where to mount the straps to.
The tank bags I posted works really well on the rear and looks good on the bike. Actually it holds onto to the rear fender better than the tank itself. I'll post a picture if I can find it.

Registered

I used a tank bag on the rear fender and it worked like a charm. I didn't have a passenger seat on mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Ryan,

How well does the 950/650M fit dimension wise? Is there any way that adding a tank bag with an additional 1-2 inches to the length and width would still fit on the the rear fender?

Registered
Ryan,

How well does the 950/650M fit dimension wise? Is there any way that adding a tank bag with an additional 1-2 inches to the length and width would still fit on the the rear fender?
Hey Mash, the width of the rear fender is right about 9" measuring from the outside of the metal brackets. That's why the 450, 650, or 950 looks like it's made for the bike being exactly 9 inches in width, I only found out after getting the 450 first.

I don't see a problem with other bags being 1-2inches longer in length since most tank bags are designed with a curved surface lengthwise. However I would imagine 1-2" width-wise would make it look odd? Not sure secure it would hold onto the rear fender, perhaps someone with a bigger tank bag can chime in.

Have you considered a side saddle bag?

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I've attached a few images of the tank bag I just received (15L 9W 8 H) and it does fit, but just barely on the rear fender. The magnets seem strong and it also comes with an additional strap I can use for extra caution. I'm going to try riding later tonight with a few old useless books in the bag to see how stable it is, so hopefully I will not have to resort to saddlebags 馃檪

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts