Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know of any purpose built lowering kits or anything that will work on the 500? Maybe you've tried lowering the bike yourself? My wife it 5'0" and can get both feet down, but not flat footed. We'd like to get it lowered for her about half an inch to an inch so she can be a little more sure footed. I'm having trouble finding anything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think there is a lowering kit.

Does she have proper motorbike boots with a decent sole?

I am asking because I am 5'0'' and I can get both heels comfortably on the ground.

What you can do is to loosen the clamps around the front forks and slide the bike down the forks an inch.

For the back you will need new shorter springs.

you can also adjust the preload to soft but it makes the bike bouncy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Forgot to mention:

You may need to cut the stand shorter and your wife will need to be careful when leaning into corners because the ground clearance suffers from lowering.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes there are lowering kits.

Daytona makes one, also Goods Co makes one too. They're from Japan so not likely available in the states.

If you go on Webike (Japanese equivalent of Revzilla in USA and Fortnine in Canada) , https://japan.webike.net/ you can purchase a lowering kit. They do ship internationally.

As you can see, it is quire a bit shorter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They also have short reach handlebar for short riders.
Apparently this bar will make it much easier while turning since a lot of short riders can't comfortably reach both hands on the handle when they fully turn the handle. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ok so I found why the short reach bars are very popular in Japan.

Here's the comparison between 160cm(5'3) rider and 150cm(4'11) rider.

As you can see, the 160cm(5'3) rider can reach without much problem.

However the 150cm(4'11) rider had to fully extend the arm, not only that, she had to extend the shoulder in order to fully reach, this can be dangerous during a turn.

·
Registered
527 Posts
This thread is a reminder for me to thank my parents for giving me the genes to be at least 5'10" lol.
I never knew this was such an issue for so many riders. Are there any bikes shorter than the Rebel from the factory? I've sat on a lot of bikes before I bought mine and I think besides the Suzuki Boulevard S40, this is the lowest seat height out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This thread is a reminder for me to thank my parents for giving me the genes to be at least 5'10" lol.
I never knew this was such an issue for so many riders. Are there any bikes shorter than the Rebel from the factory? I've sat on a lot of bikes before I bought mine and I think besides the Suzuki Boulevard S40, this is the lowest seat height out there.
Yes, but the seat height itself does not tell you the whole story.
There are bikes with shorter seat height, whether or not if they can (safely) reach the foot pegs, brake pedal, shift pedal and handle bar is another debate.
Not to mention the weight as well.

The stock seat height for Rebel 300/500 is 27.2 inches.

Harley Davidson Softtail Slim
23.8 inches

More bikes with lower seat height: https://motorbikewriter.com/what-are-lowest-motorcycle-seat-heights/

·
Registered
356 Posts
When I lowered a bike the thinking was that the front should be lowered too so as not to affect handling. And I had to grind 2 -3mm off the side stand foot. I also took to using overshoes on my boots to help with a few more mm.

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes it is slightly lower, maybe 1".. though I never measured both to compare. It sits on the frame (extended sides), rather than above it
Do you have a Corbin seat?
What do you mean you never measured it? Do you mean like using a ruler and taking the exact measurement?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Do you have a Corbin seat?
What do you mean you never measured it? Do you mean like using a ruler and taking the exact measurement?
Yes I mean I never measured from the garage floor to the top of the seat. but sitting on both the corbin is slightly lower.
also you sit 1 or 2 inches closer to the fuel tank on the corbin seat (at least compared to where I would sit normally on the stock seat)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes I mean I never measured from the garage floor to the top of the seat. but sitting on both the corbin is slightly lower.
also you sit 1 or 2 inches closer to the fuel tank on the corbin seat (at least compared to where I would sit normally on the stock seat)
I know it might be an obvious question but is it more comfortable than stock?
Do you feel significant increase in comfort?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I know it might be an obvious question but is it more comfortable than stock?
Do you feel significant increase in comfort?
It was nite and day, no contest. see the old thread about corbin seats, myself and others have chimed in about it. You could ride all day on the corbin seat.
I ended up selling mine only because i'm removing the fender and that seat would no longer fit. I'm getting my stock seat reupholstered this winter because it still sux.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts