Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my Honda 2020 of November, and rode it about once a week and it would sometimes sit for about a week or or two often. It's still in its break in period as it sits at only 230 miles. last week was the first week I rode it everyday to work, its a super short trip maybe like 4 miles there and back, But just yesterday it stated to hesitate when on my way to work then proceeded to stall. I cant see the rpms but at about maybe 3kish or so right before i plan on shifting up the hesitation begins and wants to stall

·
Registered
863 Posts
Could be bad gas/condensation.
Do we have a fuel filter on the Reb500? I don't even know.
Yep and I know it's counter-intuitive but check your battery/connections.

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
at what speed and what gear are you shifting into at 3k rpm?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Fuel filter was mentioned....not saying you have a plugged fuel filter but you would probably want to make sure it is the problem before swapping it out..pressure and volume test the pump.
FYI
300 fuel filter $22.07 MSRP
500 fuel filter $87.09 MSRP

·
Registered
146 Posts
My wife's '17 300 did the same thing last year and we ran a tank of Sea Foam through it and the problem went away.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has it been cold where you are? Did you leave fuel in it without stabilzer? Ethanol in fuel will turn to sludge after just one night below freezing. That will lead to hesitation and a general feeling like the engine isn't getting enough fuel (it isn't).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has it been cold where you are? Did you leave fuel in it without stabilzer? Ethanol in fuel will turn to sludge after just one night below freezing. That will lead to hesitation and a general feeling like the engine isn't getting enough fuel (it isn't).
I did rain and get pretty cold the week prior. Uhh is that something you have to add on your own?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife's '17 300 did the same thing last year and we ran a tank of Sea Foam through it and the problem went away.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Is there a specific one i should get? or wiill any do the trick?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Might sound dumb but its also the first time i use anything other than chevron
I did rain and get pretty cold the week prior. Uhh is that something you have to add on your own?
All american gas is pretty good regardless of brand these days.
Ethanol is an alcohol added to gasoline for emissions purposes, different parts of the country get different blends, here in missouri we get some of the worst/most so I only put premium in the rebel since I'm only buying 2+ gallons at a time. Fuel stabilizer can be gotten in almost any general store or walmart, you have to mix it in a gas can with fuel so I don't bother, I just buy primium gas which is said to have less or zero ethanol in it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. I live where it stays below freezing 24 hr/day for months using regular gas with10% ethanol and have never had a problem or heard of anyone else having a problem.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. I live where it stays below freezing 24 hr/day for months using regular gas with10% ethanol and have never had a problem or heard of anyone else having a problem.
This is in reference to my yard vacuum and it's B&S motor:
Mine doesn't turn to "sludge" but the alky absorbs water, then the alky evaporates away so it's just water and gasoline. When I shut off a motor the residual gas left in the cylinder and carb over a couple months evaporates leaving water and two years in a row when I went to start it up in the spring I had a seized motor and a ruined carb. Now I use sta-bil, run the carb dry the last time I use it for the season and squirt some oil in the spark plug hole a week or so before I start it.
It's a problem I wouldn't have to deal with if it weren't for the EPA. It's the main reason I won't buy a gas engined anything unless there is no electric alternative.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is in reference to my yard vacuum and it's B&S motor:
Mine doesn't turn to "sludge" but the alky absorbs water, then the alky evaporates away so it's just water and gasoline. When I shut off a motor the residual gas left in the cylinder and carb over a couple months evaporates leaving water and two years in a row when I went to start it up in the spring I had a seized motor and a ruined carb. Now I use sta-bil, run the carb dry the last time I use it for the season and squirt some oil in the spark plug hole a week or so before I start it.
It's a problem I wouldn't have to deal with if it weren't for the EPA. It's the main reason I won't buy a gas engined anything unless there is no electric alternative.
What you are describing is the need to use a gas stabilizer for extended storage. I was responding to Jason saying ethonal gas turns to sludge in one night in temps below freezing.

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
Gas with ethanol could separate if there is more water in the mix than the saturation point of the ethanol. See youtube for examples of people removing ethanol from gas. If the ethanol is separated out you are left with gas on top and water / ethanol mix on the bottom which could freeze but it would take a lot of water to cause the separation and you shouldn't be putting that into any type of engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts