Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my bike 2 weeks ago today. Passed 214 miles and while riding to get dinner last night it just lost all power for a split second. I didn't think anything of it (maybe my hand slipped off throttle for a second) but then it did it again and again for two miles a total of 7-10 times. As soon as I stopped for food and got back on I tried to recreate it so I could capture it on film but it didn't do it again. I have check spark plug and fuel injector plug. Maybe loose battery terminal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
good idea - let them find what they missed when they prepped the bike - if you get it back with the shop saying they didn't find anything look at the ignition and fuel injection systems - battery terminals is a good first place to look since the batteries are not installed at the factory

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got that feeling too, maybe 3-4 times, not on the same ride session.
As you, I suspected the throttle that slipped in my hand. With the gloves, sometimes, you don't feel precisely.
But it did not happen several times successively, so I never worried that much.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So I picked up my bike 2 weeks ago today. Passed 214 miles and while riding to get dinner last night it just lost all power for a split second. I didn't think anything of it (maybe my hand slipped off throttle for a second) but then it did it again and again for two miles a total of 7-10 times. As soon as I stopped for food and got back on I tried to recreate it so I could capture it on film but it didn't do it again. I have check spark plug and fuel injector plug. Maybe loose battery terminal?
I've had that twice in quick succession while on a long ride with about 280 miles on the clock. I twisted the throttle on and was just met with the sound of the induction, twisted again and got the same, but then it was fine. It's been perfect since so have just assumed it was a PGM-FI hiccup. Fingers crossed it stays good. It's booked in for first service so will mention it then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have the pictures, I gave my bike to the Honda shop they were the ones who found it. It was all free because the bike is still under warranty.

If someone here has a service manual maybe they can lookup the fuel injector connectors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, glad it didn't cause an accident and that you're okay. I haven't experienced anything like that (knock on wood) and I hope I never do. That being said, I think I'll check my connections every few weeks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a video I took of what is happening. For reference I was in 4th gear with my hand as steady as I could make it on the throttle. Right at 27/28 mph there is a loss of power which you can hear and see from the jerking the bike does. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Geez, that looks kinda scary :S Think if you're in the middle of cornering and it does that, could mess up your balance and really give you a ride to remember!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Geez, that looks kinda scary :S Think if you're in the middle of cornering and it does that, could mess up your balance and really give you a ride to remember!

Rode it to work tonight and it did the same thing. Instead of keeping the throttle in one place I decided I would try and throttle through the lag and it did even worse. It felt like it was starved for fuel or maybe the fuel/air ratios were off. It had no power 2nd or 3rd gear. It seemed more like a sputter. Like it was running out of fuel. I gassed it up this morning so I know that wasn't it. I am totally confused.

I know that smaller engines need a little time to warm up sometimes but I wan this for 2 minutes before I left the house. I really need to get it to the dealer and have it checked out. I'll update when/if I find the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Yeah that doesn't sound good at all.. I'd be a little freaked out driving that, never knowing when it'll happen... Nice if you love a little adrenaline thou?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is another video of the sputter that I am experiencing. If anyone here is familiar with carbs. It feels like a carbed bike running out of fuel. That sputtering feeling.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yet another video of my bike REALLY sputtering. One person maybe there was water in the gas. I cannot figure it out. Dealer appointment is at the end of the month.

listen closely: Worst is at 0:22-0:25

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you're suddenly losing speed while riding, perhaps you can ask if they can move your appointment up? Seems a bit dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
You shouldn't be riding that bike.
In the warranty agreement, you as a rider is responsible to drive the bike in such a way that it's not harmfull for it. Should you as the driver knowingly do something with the bike, or drive the bike in such a way, or in such a condition, that it may be harmfull to the bike, then you end up having to boot the bill for the repairs, since it will void the warranty on the bike.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts