Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use a regular floor jack on the engine case to lift the 500? Or will that do damage?

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
39 Posts
Can I use a regular floor jack on the engine case to lift the 500? Or will that do damage?
I know it’s much less weight than a car, but having been a mechanic I’d never put a floor jack under anything but the frame rails (or pinch welds on a unibody car)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Won't the header pipe get in the way?

I was looking into frame lifts, but doesn't work on our set up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just curious, what do you need to lift it for? I did a low lift to change the front wheel and remove forks for boots. I can find the picture it’s in the adding accessories thread I started.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it’s much less weight than a car, but having been a mechanic I’d never put a floor jack under anything but the frame rails (or pinch welds on a unibody car)

Agreed, but there's not much frame to work with.
I need to get the front wheel off the ground for some suspension work, math, mods.
I want to put my paddock stand on the swingarm and then get the front end up so it will all be upright and stable. Right now I'm wondering about the frame rails under the fuel tank but that means a lot of steel to fab, steel that I don't have right now. If I had crash bars it would all be simple.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I flipped my footpegs upside down so they can't rotate upwards, then i put 2 jacks underneath them and the bike will balance pretty evenly. Then I put a bucket under the front engine area and did all my work pretty easily.

Ok that's pretty interesting, any trouble flipping the pegs?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope it's really really easy actually! Just take the pins out of the bolts that hold the foot pegs in place, flip everything upside down and put the bolts back in! you may need a friend to help you lift the bike onto the foot pegs.

Cool.
For others who may try this, keep in mind the rubber portion of the peg is removable, I would say take them out beforehand to prevent messing the rubber up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts