Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I may be paying too much for motorcycle insurance $938 annually after seeing everyone else post. I am a 37yo female with 2 prior car speeding tickets =(. New to riding besides a Honda scooter I had 14 years ago for about 4 years in Miami, FL. Neither my wife or I have health insurance so I opted for the highest $$$ amount of medical
protection. I am with Progressive and currently living in the Houston, TX metroplex

Spec breakdown on 1 year policy:

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY ($73.00)
BI $50,000 EACH PERSON - $100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY ($217.00)
$30,000 EACH PERSON - $60,000 EACH ACCIDENT

MEDICAL PAYMENTS $10,000 EACH PERSON $272.00

COMPREHENSIVE $500 DEDUCTIBLE $60.00
INCLUDES DISAPPEARING DEDUCTIBLE

COLLISION $500 DEDUCTIBLE $314.00

ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000 INCL

UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE - REJECTED

PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION - REJECTED

Premium by Vehicle $936.00
Automobile Burglary/Theft Prevention Fee $2.00
Total Policy Premium $938.00

·
Registered
47 Posts
What are you guys doing for insurance?

I just received a rather high quote from Progressive of $650/year. I'm a 32 year old male with a spotless record. Took the minimum liability and collision coverages w/ $500 deductibles. Still seems really high, considering my '05 Rebel 250 is only $100/year for the same coverage.
I have progressive and I got all the bells and whistles in my plan, only costs me $328 a year.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think I may be paying too much for motorcycle insurance $938 annually after seeing everyone else post. I am a 37yo female with 2 prior car speeding tickets =(. New to riding besides a Honda scooter I had 14 years ago for about 4 years in Miami, FL. Neither my wife or I have health insurance so I opted for the highest $$$ amount of medical
protection. I am with Progressive and currently living in the Houston, TX metroplex

Spec breakdown on 1 year policy:

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY ($73.00)
BI $50,000 EACH PERSON - $100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY ($217.00)
$30,000 EACH PERSON - $60,000 EACH ACCIDENT

MEDICAL PAYMENTS $10,000 EACH PERSON $272.00

COMPREHENSIVE $500 DEDUCTIBLE $60.00

COLLISION $500 DEDUCTIBLE $314.00

ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000 INCL

UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE - REJECTED

PERSONAL INJURY PROTECTION - REJECTED

Premium by Vehicle $936.00
Automobile Burglary/Theft Prevention Fee $2.00
Total Policy Premium $938.00
Two speeding tickets have a lot to do with your premium

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am 37 y.o. male with nothing on my record in the last couple of years. Ended up getting Dairyland as I have heard from other bikers that it's a good company for motorcycles.
Info below. Cost: $255 for the year.
Coverage
Bodily Injury Liability
Current Limit: $30,000/$60,000
Guest Passenger Liability
Property Damage Liability
Current Limit: $25,000
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Property Damage
Current Limit: $25,000
Deductible: $250
Personal Injury Protection
Current Limit: Rejected

Vehicle Coverage
Comprehensive
Current Limit: $60,000
Deductible: $500
Collision
Current Limit: $60,000
Optional Equipment
Current Limit: $5,000
Roadside Assistance
Current Limit: Yes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just performed some quotes for two bikes for my wife and me, living in NYC metro, and with multiple cars on GEICO. For comparable coverage, GEICO came in just over $800 a year for the two bikes, and Progressive came in at just over $300.

GEICO has better auto rates though, so I would still safe money by keeping two different insurance companies for all the vehicles. Go figure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So after 12 months with Allstate Motorcycle insurance, I received my renewal and much to my surprise, my rates were cut in half! I was paying $39.00 per month for the following coverage:

Bodily Injury/Liability: 50,000/100,000
Property Damage Liability: 50,000
Collision Deductible: 500
Comprehensive Deductible: 250
Optional Equipment: 1,000

After 12 months ticket and accident free, I now have a "Good Rider" discount that cut my monthly down to $19.85 per month. I had to call my agent to make sure there wasn't a mistake, and confirmed I didn't lose any coverage. No changes to my coverage at all.

-CG

·
Registered
132 Posts
Insurance incl. "motor-related tax" fur the rebel in AUT

I have to pay an amount of a bit over 600 USD (so, below 600 €) for insurance AND tax p.a.
For a bike like the rebel one has to pay tax € 160,- p.a. The remainder of the sum above is insurance.
My insurance includes theft of the bike or parts of it, vandalism, damages caused of animals or very bad weather, but no self-caused damages or damages caused by run-away-drivers (in parking lots) and damages caused by me on other vehicles, items or individuals.
For bikers in AUT there are no benefits for accidence-free riders or examens of driving- classes (because you HAVE to do one!).

Are there permanent taxes for motorcycles in the USA? Different taxes in different states? How much?

·
Registered
209 Posts

I just received a rather high quote from Progressive of $650/year. I'm a 32 year old male with a spotless record. Took the minimum liability and collision coverages w/ $500 deductibles. Still seems really high, considering my '05 Rebel 250 is only $100/year for the same coverage.

Live in California have a Rebel 300 with Allstate insurance and pay $108 a year full coverage with $500 deductible collision and $100 deductible for comprehension.

May be lower because I have 2 other bikes (3 total) and get muti vehicle discount, plus am 66 years old with good driving record. Total for all 3 bikes is $392 a year.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Forgot to mention in last post, that when I was younger (30-50) the least expensive bike insurance I could find was Riders insurance. Always less than Progressive and other companies.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Are there permanent taxes for motorcycles in the USA? Different taxes in different states? How much?
I pay an excise tax on my bikes each year that goes to pay for road maintenance. It's calculated as a percentage of the original MSRP of the vehicle and everyone pays it at annual registration. It's quite a low amount for a 35 year old bike - around $12 a year. For a newer bike it gets expensive, several hundred dollars per year depending on the sales price.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am with GIECO
Your current 12 month premium: $187.00
Bodily Injury Liability: $25.00, $15,000 per person/$30,000 per occurrence
Property Damage Liability: $17.00, $25,000 per occurrence
Uninsured Motorist & Underinsured Motorist: $79.00, $15,000 per person/$30,000 per occurrence
Comprehensive: $29.00, $50 Deductible
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $24.00, $3,500 per occurrence
Towing and Labor: $13.00, Non Deductible

·
Registered
17 Posts
$362.76 for a 12 month premium from Progressive (Drive Insurance) with Roadside Assistance. I went through an insurance agent who put my details through a bunch of different companies. My insurance agent beat all the direct price quotes I got from each company I contacted directly. I'm 44 with a clean record. I got my car drivers license at 16 and motorcycle license at 20. I got a good driver discount but forgot to mention I took the MSF course to get that discount added. I doubt it would lower the premium much.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have progressive ( AAA doesn’t offer motorcycle insurance, they write for progressive). I am 36, have a good record, have had my m1 license for about a week, and upped my minimum from the CA mandatory minimum of 15/30 to 50/100 and my premium was $255 a year. Stupid me, I didn’t even ask what the deductible was. I figured it probably wasn’t more than $1000

21 - 38 of 38 Posts